Spyder Garage

Question Ryker wheel nut grease?

Has anyone gave it any thought pro or con to applying a couple dabs of teflon/lithium grease to the wheel nut threads? I think this may help getting nut up to torque specs. a little easier. But not a cure for cracked nuts.

Spyder Garage

Torque specs often are stated for "clean, oiled" or "clean, dry" threads. If you put on more lube than specified, the recommended torque value will result in more tension in the stud (less friction to overcome). In extreme cases it can over time pull the nut through the wheel or pull the stud through the backing plate (seen it on cars at least).

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Zoot View Post
    Torque specs often are stated for "clean, oiled" or "clean, dry" threads. If you put on more lube than specified, the recommended torque value will result in more tension in the stud (less friction to overcome). In extreme cases it can over time pull the nut through the wheel or pull the stud through the backing plate (seen it on cars at least).
    I agree. A good way to over-torque unless specifically instructed to lube the threads. Lubing threads which are not supposed to be lubed can also lead to having the nut/bolt, whatever, back off.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

I have no issue getting the nut to 221 ft. lbs with my torque wrench and yes grease or any lubricant is a bad idea

Spyder Garage

Thanks to you guys for your input. I have a torque wrench arriving today from Amazon, and a "Racing Power Sports" wheel socket arriving Tuesday. I have a 10x12' shed being delivered on Thursday. Can't wait to finally have someplace level and secured. I've had the Rally since July 20th, now with 2200 miles. All has been good with it. A big shout out to "Jim Potts Motor Group" in Woodstock, Il.
    https://www.jimpottsmotorgroup.com/d...ntory&sq=ryker