Spyder Garage

Default Replacing shocks is it worth it

I have a 2017 F3 Limited. Does it make a noticeable difference on the ride and handling? Looking at shock prices they seems high.
    Thanks in advance.
    Jim

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

How are your stock shocks now? Are you comfortable with the ride?

Spyder Garage

Ho do you ride ? My shocks are 10 years old now and I ride solo, 2 up and everything is good. If I rode crazy speed maybe too soft but life is too short to ride crazy all the time.
    2009 GS SE5 , Red (Ferrari Red :) )

Spyder Garage

If you don't like the way your bikes handling or riding then yes it's worth it! I for one have never liked a step style shock adjustment, which I have on my 2012, and I found out that my rear shock is junk, I will be replaceing them next year! After a while any shock is goig to loose it charge and need to be replaced or rebuilt if possible! I like the rebuilt part you spend your money on a good shock get it set up for your style ride and then when it starts to fail have it rebuilt for cheap money and you get your nice ride back! That's my 2 cents
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JimH View Post
    I have a 2017 F3 Limited. Does it make a noticeable difference on the ride and handling? Looking at shock prices they seems high.
    Thanks in advance.
    Jim
    I assume you want this for performance reasons ????? ….. if so, the handling will get a little better but the ride ie. comfort is going to be much less, depending on how stiff they make the shock/spring. ….. IMHO a sway bar ie. BAJARON's , is the better way to go ….. annnnnnnnnnd at much less cost .….. Mike

Spyder Garage

BRP's offer of oem upgraded Fox shocks are a value in my opinion. I put the Fox shocks on my RT and it was noticeably different. The F3 have even better options. They came with the correct preload and I didn't even need to change it.

Spyder Garage

Default Depends...

Will depend on how well you are getting along with what you have. Stock shocks are quite adequate for normal ryding but if you are feeling you need more there are steps as mentioned above you can take first before you go into the shocks. A alignment check to start and then the BajaRon swaybar would be next. After some ryding with those changes see if you need more and how much. I also went the relocation way with BLUEKNIGHT911 relocation adapters (don't know if he has them for the F3. There are several choices on the shocks when and if you get to that point. I went with the Fox and they have met all my expectations.
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JimH View Post
    Thanks in advance.
    Jim
    In my opinion. The Fox Podium shocks are a decent upgrade from the stock Sachs units. Though for OEM, the Sachs are not bad. Shop around, eBay, etc., and you can find them at a good price. There are other options, of course. But hard to beat the Podiums bang for the buck. Especially when combined with other suspension upgrades.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

You're making the right choice...the shocks are the most expensive yet effective Upgrade for the Spyder regardless how you ride and what model you have...you do the shocks
    You don't need the other stuff..the sway bar etc....unless you ride super agressive..then add the swaybar...M2 is the best one.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    Will depend on how well you are getting along with what you have. Stock shocks are quite adequate for normal ryding but if you are feeling you need more there are steps as mentioned above you can take first before you go into the shocks. A alignment check to start and then the BajaRon swaybar would be next. After some ryding with those changes see if you need more and how much. I also went the relocation way with BLUEKNIGHT911 relocation adapters (don't know if he has them for the F3. There are several choices on the shocks when and if you get to that point. I went with the Fox and they have met all my expectations.
    Thanks for the compliment, and I'm glad you still like them …… you have the original frame on your Spyder, I have the new one …. so I designed a set that works with the 13 and newer frame ….. and yes they will fit any F-3, the front part ( where the top of the shock attaches ) of that frame is the same as all Rt's ….. It's interesting that just changing the shock angle allows the OEM shock to act quite differently …. I guess this is why the BRP engineers did it for the 13 and up frames..... I just changed the angle more than they did …… I give the credit to the engineers for my version ….. Mike

Spyder Garage

I upgraded mine because I’m 330lbs, Jim, and my stock tear shock kept bottoming out on my 16 F3-L. I figured I may as well replace all 3 with Wilber’s, and I reckon it handles potholes and corners more surely now. Would I have upgraded if I did not have the bottoming out issue? Probably not, as they are expensive, and the OEM 2 up shocks do the job. Could I survive without BajaRon’s stabiliser bar? Noooooooooooo.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    In my opinion. The Fox Podium shocks are a decent upgrade from the stock Sachs units. Though for OEM, the Sachs are not bad. Shop around, eBay, etc., and you can find them at a good price. There are other options, of course. But hard to beat the Podiums bang for the buck. Especially when combined with other suspension upgrades.
    Wait, Fox aren't the stock shocks on the RT?
    2014 RT-S Orange - LED headlights/driving lights, LED under mirror turns, LED brake/run lights along trunk and saddlebags, LED third brake light, LED turn bulb replacements, Magic Mirrors, Voltmeter, Oil PSI gauge, heated gear connection, BRP backrest, dash Mount USB plug, Lamonster belt tensioner, Baja Ron sway bar, NBV highway pegs, BRP arm rests M2 suspension.
    2014 RT-S , Orange

Spyder Garage

@Wahrsuul, no they are not. The fox shocks brp offers for the RT are not as nice as the F3 but I like them on my RT.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 308gunner View Post
    You're making the right choice...the shocks are the most expensive yet effective Upgrade for the Spyder regardless how you ride and what model you have...you do the shocks
    You don't need the other stuff..the sway bar etc....unless you ride super agressive..then add the swaybar...M2 is the best one.
    Agree M2 are by far the best custom shock you can add worth the money. Added a set to my Ryker what a great improvement. Would do it again.

Spyder Garage

Ok, one more PO upgrade I didn't know about. Not sure what model, but they're Fox up front. Haven't looked in the rear. I was wondering why people kept talking about the front shocks not being adjustable, mine have the spin/thread style adjusters.
    2014 RT-S Orange - LED headlights/driving lights, LED under mirror turns, LED brake/run lights along trunk and saddlebags, LED third brake light, LED turn bulb replacements, Magic Mirrors, Voltmeter, Oil PSI gauge, heated gear connection, BRP backrest, dash Mount USB plug, Lamonster belt tensioner, Baja Ron sway bar, NBV highway pegs, BRP arm rests M2 suspension.
    2014 RT-S , Orange

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Wahrsuul View Post
    Ok, one more PO upgrade I didn't know about. Not sure what model, but they're Fox up front. Haven't looked in the rear. I was wondering why people kept talking about the front shocks not being adjustable, mine have the spin/thread style adjusters.
    The Fox shocks are/were an upgrade or standard on the higher end models. Without that upgrade, Sach shocks are standard. Sach is a good company and they make a good product, not top of the line mind you, but they have a good reputation in the Euro motorcycle world. However, the Sach units on the Spyders is their bargain bin stuff, so I replaced mine with Elka's and the difference in ride and handling is dramatically better in all regards. The Baja Ron bar is icing on the cake.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Spyder Garage

According to the spec sheets, SACHS are standard on all models in 2014.
    2014 RT-S , Orange

Spyder Garage

I have a 2015 RT LTD. I just upgraded the front shocks to Elka Stage 2. What a difference in cornering!
    If you've ever taken a Spyder into a fast freeway interchange curve, eased off the bar a little bit, and felt the push-back of the nose, that's the lack of ample rebound damping. The shock is rebounding with enough force after being slightly unloaded, that it pushes the nose.
    I installed the aftermarket swaybar three years ago, had the bike laser aligned right after, and replaced the stock Kendas with Continentals. Every one of these changes helped the ride and handling of the bike. But by and far, the shocks improved cornering the most.

The bike has a much more settled, solid feel in corners now. There is a ninety degree corner a few miles from my house, that more often than not, results in Nanny complaining when I take it. Nanny has not complained once since the Elkas went on.

Spyder Garage

The 2010 I test rode was all over the place on the highway. I took some work to keep it in line, but I've no idea what the PO had done to it, any additions, or issues. I was surprised by the handling of my '14 - very stable even in hard cornering. It's got Kendas on the front and a Kumho on the rear. Now I fond out it's got the Fox shocks, and I'm wondering if it has an upgraded sway bar. Guess I'll have to climb under that and look. Couldn't tell when I was under it last time doing the HCM and oil change.
    2014 RT-S , Orange

Very Active Member tofriendscreek's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I also have a 17 F3L. At 35K miles the OEM shocks just were past their prime. I had decided to have them replaced with Elka’s while I was at SITO. The ryde, cornering and handling on my serpentine route through the Ozarks on my way home were very much improved. I am extremely happy with my decision. I should have done it a long time ago.
    2022 Plasma Red, F3 Limited, Special Series