Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default They won't send me my license plate

I have been waiting now several weeks to get my license plate for my new bike (Keeping the Ryker). I bought the bike out of state, and from what I understand it makes the process more complex. I called the dealership and asked if the send there paperwork to the bank. I got a ,"I'll go and check". Two more days go by and I call them again. I get, "Yeahhhh he sent it out a few days ago". Which means they forgot and don't give a crap. Then I call the bank, they say once they get the title from Wisconsin they can send the sales tax to Illinois and transfer the title. I called them on Tuesday and have heard nothing.

I am not even sure if I got a handle on this process and where it's being delayed. Everyone is pointing their finger at everyone else.
    2019 Rally , Black

Spyder Garage

Default Bummer.....

Sorry to hear but will tell you it can not be as bad as here....we recommend no one should buy out of state....hope they get you set up soon and all legal like....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

I also bought my bike from Wisconsin. Wisconsin is a title retaining state and they would not send it to me for registration purposes. The bank that financed me said they will send an e-title to my DMV. I explained to them that Missouri does not honor the electronic title and that I need the physical title to register my bike. The bank finally got my point and had Wisconsin send the title to them and then they would only mail it directly to my DMV. It was a lengthy process that ultimately caused me to pay penalties for late registration.

2013 RTS
    BajaRon Swaybar, BRP passenger armrests, JT's GoPro dash mount, Lidlox helmet locks, M2 Shocks, foam grips, Ultimate Seat, Magic Mirrors

Spyder Garage

I've bought several vehicles out of state. From a Ford F-250 to a Honda Valkyrie and more. It all depends on the dealership. If they are sharp, you'll have a pretty seamless experience. If the dealership is lazy (or worse), then things can get bumpy. Hang in there, follow-up often and don't take 'No' for an answer. You'll get it done.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Hawk View Post
    I have been waiting now several weeks to get my license plate for my new bike (Keeping the Ryker). I bought the bike out of state, and from what I understand it makes the process more complex. I called the dealership and asked if the send there paperwork to the bank. I got a ,"I'll go and check". Two more days go by and I call them again. I get, "Yeahhhh he sent it out a few days ago". Which means they forgot and don't give a crap. Then I call the bank, they say once they get the title from Wisconsin they can send the sales tax to Illinois and transfer the title. I called them on Tuesday and have heard nothing.

I am not even sure if I got a handle on this process and where it's being delayed. Everyone is pointing their finger at everyone else.
    BAH! I hate blind bureaucracy, toss it over the wall and its someone else's problem now. If possible and you have the person's name at the bank ask them who they are talking to in Wisconsin or who they sent it to, then try to locate that person and ask them the status. You probably know or have tried to do this already. Plan to spend hours on the phone.
    2015 Pearl White RTL
    Baja Ron Sway Bar
    Russell Day Long Seat
    Strobe Brake Light
    Mirror Mount Turn Signal Indicator

2015 RTL , Yes Pearl White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Bummer.

Whenever I buy a vehicle out of state I pay cash. Without financing involved, it's a pretty simple process.

Banks can add complexity when they are the lien-holder on a title. I think you probably want to work with the bank to get the title issue resolved; since they are motivated to ensure good title for themselves as lien-holder.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    Whenever I buy a vehicle out of state I pay cash. Without financing involved, it's a pretty simple process.

Banks add complexity when they are the lien-holder on a title.
    Actually, I've found just the opposite to be true. I use the same lending institution. I know them, they know me. We have a history. I find that they stay on top of everything because they made the loan. And they seem to know how to get things done. Though admittedly, I've not needed much service in this regard because the out of state selling companies I've done business with did a good job. But the lending institution always kept me up to date and informed. So I feel like if something did start to go sideways, the'd be right on top of it.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Yep you have to have the title and pay the taxes before Illinois will send the plates. Plus it has to be done in 30 days or you could get penalized.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I had no idea this was so complex in the US.

For once I am glad of our system,

Private Sale - buy any vehicle interstate, go to our version of the DMV, hand the interstate plates in and the sales receipt, pay the transfer fee and they issue new plates + registration.
    Dealership - if they receive a trade-in with interstate plates they'll re-register the vehicle.

Is the USA not so united?
    2017 RTL , White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by askitee View Post
    I had no idea this was so complex in the US.

For once I am glad of our system,

Private Sale - buy any vehicle interstate, go to our version of the DMV, hand the interstate plates in and the sales receipt, pay the transfer fee and they issue new plates + registration.
    Dealership - if they receive a trade-in with interstate plates they'll re-register the vehicle.

Is the USA not so united?
    There is no such thing as 'Interstate Plates' here. Most Interstate vehicle transfer/registrations are pretty straight forward. But you can get players that don't do what they are supposed to. Are sloppy or ignorant with the paperwork and things can get more difficult.

Spyder Garage

A competent dealership should have got you a temporary tag until you can get the original title and a permanent tag.............. at least that is the way it works in Florida. If a dealer takes a bike in on trade they should have the title in the name of the dealership. Otherwise they are not the dealer, they are just selling bikes on consignment............. and avoiding the extra cost and trouble of getting the title at the dealership. If you can't ride one home from the dealership, they are not doing their job as a dealership.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    Bummer.

Banks can add complexity when they are the lien-holder on a title. I think you probably want to work with the bank to get the title issue resolved; since they are motivated to ensure good title for themselves as lien-holder.
    I have mostly worked with the bank. I will point out to them it's in their best interest to get the title. Thanks for pointing that out, Pete.
    2019 Rally , Black

Spyder Garage

Since I paid for the bike, and the dealership has not handed over the title, can I sue them? They sold me something I can't legally use.
    2019 Rally , Black

Spyder Garage

Since I paid for the bike, and the dealership has not handed over the title, can I sue them? They sold me something I can't legally use.
    It costs money to start a lawsuit. You can sue for just about anything you want to. The question is, would it be worthwhile. There must be other ways to convince them to hand over the title. If they sold a bike with a title that had a cloud on it and is being held up by the bank, then they are responsible for seeing that you get either the title, or your money back. Finding out who is holding up the title and why should be the first step. You may need to sue them, but not until you have exhausted all the simpler solutions. Who the money went to is the place to start looking. If you wrote a check or used a card the name of the person on the check is the place to look first. If the bank that was holding the lien on the bike was the one who received the money, they are the first ones to go after.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

The bank holds the loan. They paid the dealership. They also have a sales tax check that will go to the state of Illinois. I have talked with the loan officer a few tmes. But She does not return half my calls. How would I go up the chain at the bank to get results? She is a loan officer, someone has to be above her.
    2019 Rally , Black

Spyder Garage

Branch Manager? Her supervisor? A senior Loan officer?

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

This whole event seems to get slimier as it goes along. Certainly appears that something is fishy with this whole thing. If the bank has issued a loan. You'd think they would be all over this as I would assume the vehicle is their collateral.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    If the bank has issued a loan. You'd think they would be all over this as I would assume the vehicle is their collateral.
    ... which bank is it, by the way? I'm thinking it sounds like a small local credit union.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post
    Branch Manager? Her supervisor? A senior Loan officer?
    I agree. Call the bank and ask for the branch manager and explain the situation in a positive, collaborative way. Good luck
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

It is a small credit union, Landmark Credit Union in Wisconsin. I am not sure how to log a complaint. I will have to scour their website. The mortgage officer has ignored two of my phone calls and has made no attempt to followup with the state on my title. She has a very lazy, small town attitude. I bet their security guard's name is Barney Fife
    2019 Rally , Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It is a small credit union, Landmark Credit Union in Wisconsin. I am not sure how to log a complaint. I will have to scour their website. The mortgage officer has ignored two of my phone calls and has made no attempt to followup with the state on my title. She has a very lazy, small town attitude. I bet their security guard's name is Barney Fife
    It's actually not such a small institution, with 30+ branches. Their website is typically geared more to marketing than operations, so lacks the information you need about pecking order. You'll have to do your own sleuthing, but know that Auto loans is probably not within the same chain of command as Mortgages.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

The state you bought from should have a regulatory group - possibly their DMV. You can try logging a complaint there. The business needs to be licensed in that state to conduct business...

Spyder Garage

At this point I would suggest that you make an appointment with the manager or president, of the bank and go over the situation with them in person. When you are sitting there, in their office, it is harder to put you on "hold" and forget to give you an answer. I know that if you work the same hours the bank is open, you will need to take time off. But it may be the only way to get this done. Keep your cool and don't yell or threaten them. Let them know that if they do not help resolve the issue you will pursue it up the food chain until you get to someone who can take action.

Give them the facts and names of the people you have been dealing with and nicely ask that the issue be resolved ASAP. Give them a deadline and explain why you need it done ASAP. If nothing gets done next step would be to see what regulatory agency oversees the bank and contact them with your case. You could also contact you states Attorney General and file a complaint with them. If the dealership is causing the problem contact the Wisconsin Attorney General and file a complaint with them. That is a lot cheaper than a lawsuit.
    No matter how this ends up, it is going to take a quite a bit of your time.
    David Petrick
    Certified Professional Photographer
    2020 Limited Dark , Magma Red Black

Spyder Garage

I got a call from the loan officer. She was on vacation for two weeks. She said the dealership screwed up and applied for Wisconsin plates. Now she has to straighten that mess out. The bank wants the title, that is there main driving force. She hopes it will all be fixed in ten business days (Yeah, we shall see). She said they often have trouble with dealerships who have already been paid.
    2019 Rally , Black

Spyder Garage

Banks are usually beholden to some kind of state banking committe or commission. Here's WI's if the bank doesn't the on the ball. They have the power to pull banking licenses or fine them for non compliance in things.

https://www.wdfi.org/fi/banks/default_dob.htm

Here's their complaint page.
    https://www.wdfi.org/contact_us/ComplaintDefault.htm