Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Anyone Ride While Carrying a Camera?

Besides riding my F3T, I also enjoy landscape photography - especially this time of year as the colors are changing.

I would like to be able to ride with my camera in a convenient place so that I can just stop, pull the camera out and take a few shots without having to get off the bike. I'm thinking that some sort of tank bag might be what's needed, but I'm open to any other ideas.

Anyone have suggestions on how to store the camera for quick access like I've described? Assume that the camera is a small DSLR.

Thanks
    Bert

Spyder Garage

I did this over the summer with a sony Nex and my 2.8 28-75 lense. ( small lens) no 2.8 70-200! First buy a spyder cuff. I bought a 1/4-20 bolt and cut the head off and threaded it in the top hole. Next I bought a small Giottos ball mount with a plate slider. Mount the plate itself on the bottom of the nex. Make sure the camera lense is facing towards the center of the bars where the gps is so it doesn’t hit anything. It worked fine. I didn’t cruise long days with it on just when i wanted it in the Tetons. If you are using a cyber shot camera use the same spyder cuff but buy the ram ball mount for a phone and simply grip the cyber shot with that.

Spyder Garage

Here is the spyder cuff. Remove the drink holder when using the camera mount. Here is the ball mount too
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Default Well....

If not mounting it (fixed) the tank bag would be the way to go. There are some nice cameras now that you can mount on your helmet and take stills and they are bluetooth connected to your phone so you can see the shot before taking it. They also do great video which you can later freeze frame the views you like...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The suggestions above will work for a small digital camera, but not an SLR as you specified.

I don't have any suggestions, but I will be watching this thread because I have the same dilemma. I may just have to secure a waterproof camera bag to the rear seat of the RT.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Yeah, I got a tank bag and sometimes carry a small Fugi digital. Sometimes wear it on a strap around my neck. Easy to get a few pics, even without stopping. In the tank bag or on a lanyard around your neck it works. If you mount on the bars or someplace it will get bugs smashed on the lens just when you want to use it. Mine is small enough to slip in a vest pocket.

2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

This clip on works with any shoulder strap or belt
    https://www.peakdesign.com/collectio...oducts/capture

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by strykerAKAmack View Post

Thats funny you posted that... I said Sony nex in the second post mounted to the handle bar. Every picture on the peakdesign is using the Sony nex A700 I have and use. I did't realize when I replied that this was the F3 section. Windshields are much bigger on the RT which I have.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by strykerAKAmack View Post
    That's a great product. I didn't know about it.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Im getting a Insta360 One X It captures everything around you and you can take pics or videos from the recording later.
    2017 F3 Limited
    2017 F3 Limited , Lamonster Black Dymond brake pedal with brake rod at #5 Pure Magnesium Metallic

Spyder Garage
    2017 F3 Limited
    2017 F3 Limited , Lamonster Black Dymond brake pedal with brake rod at #5 Pure Magnesium Metallic

Spyder Garage

2017 F3 Limited

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Interesting, but it's not what the OP is asking about. He is interested in a way to carry an SLR camera in the cockpit area so it's handy when he wants to stop and take a picture without having to get off the bike.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

I have a Panasonic DMC-ZS19 with a Leica lens. I know it is not a DSLR. I can keep it on a lanyard around my neck and the camera in my jacket pocket where I can grab it on the go. With cruise control I can snap and go in a 180* arc. With a bigger DSLR ,you could just stuff it in your jacket opening for a quick grab.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    Interesting, but it's not what the OP is asking about. He is interested in a way to carry an SLR camera in the cockpit area so it's handy when he wants to stop and take a picture without having to get off the bike.
    The Insta360 oneX shoots in a 360 sphere at 18 mega pixels photo and 5.7K. What you do is extract photos and videos from that sphere afterwards. You never miss just the right angle and shot and dont need to stop. The selfie stick disappears and the photo or video looks drone like.
    2017 F3 Limited

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Well, my wife carries our Cannon SLR around her neck and sets it to speed shooting and takes a burst of pictures from her seat while driving her RTL. Scares the hell out of me but she gets some great action shots. DBB9255F-8B23-4A80-92C3-3E107FF91DAC.jpg
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

My wife and I just started riding in the last month and I was working on the same issue. I have a DSLR I wanted to keep fairly easy to get to for pictures. My wife rides an RT and I have an F3-S. I do have the Peak Designs Capture which I use for backpacking and hiking and it works great. I do not plan on having a backpack while riding so that would not work but still an option if I do use a small backpack at times.

I thought about a tank bag but have not looked to see if they would even work for my DSLR (too small maybe). I will definitely see what pops up here in this thread for ideas.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by timd35 View Post
    My wife and I just started riding in the last month and I was working on the same issue. I have a DSLR I wanted to keep fairly easy to get to for pictures. My wife rides an RT and I have an F3-S. I do have the Peak Designs Capture which I use for backpacking and hiking and it works great. I do not plan on having a backpack while riding so that would not work but still an option if I do use a small backpack at times.

I thought about a tank bag but have not looked to see if they would even work for my DSLR (too small maybe). I will definitely see what pops up here in this thread for ideas.
    You probably already know about the Cotton Carrier system? https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...a_harness.html
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Check out Black Rapids camera stays. The camera can slide on the strap so it at your side until needed

Spyder Garage

My first attempt at using a Go Pro while operating a Spyder
    2017 F3 Limited

Spyder Garage

I'm a big believer in KISS, you know Keep It Simple Stupid.
    I'll just hang a camera around my neck. It isn't uncomfortable, and I can use my left hand to take some shots as I'm riding. (Carefully)

If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey