Spyder Garage

Default Cracked Wheel Nuts

Hello,
    in the Ryker-Forum some riders report about a crack in the wheel nut. Some of those affected have reported the incident to the NHTSA: https://www.nhtsa.gov/vehicle/2019/CAN-AM/RYKER

Ryker-Nut-Cracked2.jpg

Spyder Garage

I wonder if that has anything to do with the (excessively?) high torque specifications listed for those nuts?? Or could it be more to do with people tightening them with a 'sorta just fits' socket, possibly with some type of packer or material between the socket & the nut just so it 'fits' enough to tighten to torque without slipping??

Still, whatever causes it, that's NOT a great thing to happen, is it! I really hope none of the unpaid beta testers.... sorry, Ryker Owners suffer catastrophic failures?!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm part of a number of Ryker groups on FB and the wheel nut issue has been on the FB groups for a while. It looked like a widespread thing but then someone did a pole of people with the problem and it turned out approx. 2 out of 90 people had the issue. Those 2 people where just very good at complaining and making it look like a larger issue. Personally I think the wheel nut issue is an improper dealer installation issue.

Yes, it does suck if it happens to you but how common is the issue.

Spyder Garage

I also think that the problem with the wheel nut only affects a few Rykers. But there are certainly more than 2. There are six entries in the NHTSA alone. It is a serious safety problem because a broken wheel nut can cause serious accidents.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I agree its a serious issue if it happens to you and it needs to be taken care of by BRP. I don't want to give the impression its not a serious issue. If its an issue with dealers or owners not reliably being able to torque the nuts correctly then the design should change to be more user friendly. If it's an issue with the manufacture/quality of the part then that needs to be better taken care of with part inspection. Again maybe a design change to something more mainstream or a different nut material would help?

I know that every time I take the Ryker out for a ride I check the nuts for cracks and so far so good.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

So, I just went to the NHTSA website and looked up the Ryker. For the heck of it I also looked up 2017 Toyota Tundra. I was surprised to see 6 recalls since I have never received a notice about them. The recall from May 2017 was for cracked lug nuts. I hope this isn't a sign of the future

Spyder Garage

Default Interesting....🤔

From a close view it looks to be an anodized aluminum nut... I would go with a design and or material failure. I have not run across a nut split/cracking from overtorquing with the proper tool. The threads usually give out before that happens. An improper tool that does not use all points may cause this Does look like the snap ring would hold it together giving the ryder some serious wabbles before total failure but something that would need to be addressed ASAP....Hope all ryker ryders put this on the let's ryde check list.....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

There are currently 6 complaints on the NHTSA website regarding cracked lug wheel nuts, four of which specifically addressed the rear tire.
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Spyder Garage

For such an important piece... at such high torque settings, maybe aluminum is not the best option... considering is the only nut that holds the wheel?
    (I honestly thought from the beginning that those things are not aluminum)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mrNewt View Post
    For such an important piece... at such high torque settings, maybe aluminum is not the best option... considering is the only nut that holds the wheel?
    (I honestly thought from the beginning that those things are not aluminum)
    Agreed, and I can see aftermarket nuts out of a different material being being something that a lot of people would go for.

Spyder Garage

I am no engineer, so my suggestion may be way out. I would think it would be nice to see some sort of closed nut that would cover the whole hub. Kind of an acorn nut? I would think that this would make it a bit stronger AND you would notice the crack more easily, I would think. Maybe this is a ludicrous suggestion, and I am sure someone on here will know why that would not work.