Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Rear shock question plz

I got a elka stage 2 in the rear and it was rock hard so I started minimizing preload till it’s all the way to minimum but it’s too hard.
    Consensus is that you should get 30% rider sag from fully extended but I can only get 15%.
    With rear wheel off the ground, shock fully extended, I measured 13.5 inches from centered of rear wheel to a fixed point then 11.4 inches to the same fixed point with me sitting on the spyder for only 15%.
    Could it be that spring itself is too hard? Or just not enough travel?
    Damping was at the point where there was like a 1 1/2 seconds pause before shock started to extend when push down on rear but now it’s dialed back that it almost starts to extend right away.
    I ordered it directly from elka with my weight, mostly solo ride and sport tour setting(I originally set this as sport tuning but changed to sport tour)
    6 states down 42 states to go

Spyder Garage

Can you see on the spring/springs what rate they installed? I am testing an OEM shock for the rear of my 2018 RTL and used a 600 Lb/In spring and it is very cushy ride, can't hardly tell the difference from the OEM system with the air bag inflated. Does the 2009 have an air bag?
    h0gr1der
    2018 RT Limited Blue/Chrome SE6 *Tri-Axis Bars*Adjustable Driver Backrest*175/55R15 Vredestein Front, 205/60R15 Vredestein Rear Tires*Baja Ron Front Spring Pre-Load Adjusters*Misty Mountain Sheepskin seat cover*Centramatic balancers *Garmin Zumo 595LM GPS*KOTT Grills*BajaRon swaybar*SpyderPops Alignment*Missing Belt guard*Magnetic Mirrors*Custom Rear Adjustable Shock*360° LED Headlights & Foglights*Progressive front fender turn signals
    States Visited on Less than 4 wheels.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have 15 but RS doesn’t have air ride and only markings I see are
    R14. 3x70 and 0500.225.0675

Quote Originally Posted by h0gr1der View Post
    Can you see on the spring/springs what rate they installed? I am testing an OEM shock for the rear of my 2018 RTL and used a 600 Lb/In spring and it is very cushy ride, can't hardly tell the difference from the OEM system with the air bag inflated. Does the 2009 have an air bag?

Spyder Garage

They may have set the spring rate too high. If it has two springs separated by a spacer, the usual is to have a softer spring backed up by a firmer spring. One of your springs looks to be 675 Lb. In x 5" long with a 2.25 Inside Diameter if I interpret the number correctly. Not sure about the other number.
    h0gr1der
    2018 RT Limited Blue/Chrome SE6 *Tri-Axis Bars*Adjustable Driver Backrest*175/55R15 Vredestein Front, 205/60R15 Vredestein Rear Tires*Baja Ron Front Spring Pre-Load Adjusters*Misty Mountain Sheepskin seat cover*Centramatic balancers *Garmin Zumo 595LM GPS*KOTT Grills*BajaRon swaybar*SpyderPops Alignment*Missing Belt guard*Magnetic Mirrors*Custom Rear Adjustable Shock*360° LED Headlights & Foglights*Progressive front fender turn signals

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

All those numbers were on upper spring.
    I could not see any numbers on lower spring.

Spyder Garage

Coil Spring, Part No R14.3X70, 2.36in. ID, 801 lbs/in rate, 2.75 in. long. That is the Elka description based on the info you provided.

2013 RTS
    BajaRon Swaybar, BRP passenger armrests, JT's GoPro dash mount, Lidlox helmet locks, M2 Shocks, foam grips, Ultimate Seat, Magic Mirrors

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CJ.RamMan View Post
    Coil Spring, Part No R14.3X70, 2.36in. ID, 801 lbs/in rate, 2.75 in. long. That is the Elka description based on the info you provided.
    I was mistakenly using the Hyperco coding. Thanks! That's a pretty stiff spring rate....
    h0gr1der

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Just got off the phone with elka.
    Tech says if I have 2” inch of rider sag, I need to add preload because that shock only has 3.1 inch of travel and if I am getting 2” of sag just by sitting on it, there isn’t enough travel left to compensate for bumps of the road and I’m bottoming out and that’s why it feels like it’s rock hard.
    It makes sense but I’ve been going the other direction to make it softer.
    I guess typical 30% rider sag doesn’t apply to spyder.
    Tech says I should have 1” of sag with me on the seat so I shall try.
    I do have 675lb springs.
    Thank you for looking things up.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Even at max preload I can’t get 1” rider sag(got 1.5”) but it did stop shock from bottoming out.
    I asked elka tech that if a shock should be at max preload for a 185 lb rider on spring made for 180-200 lb rider he said no but if bottoming out is resolved at max preload, problem is solved.
    I don’t have enough knowledge of suspension to argue that but it doesn’t seem right but I will let it go and just won’t buy elka again.