Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Can-Am Spyder vs Gold Wing Trike Handling

Going to have to go to three wheels soon. Been riding Gold Wings since 1984, but never a trike.

Would like to hear from folks who have ridden BOTH a rear wheel triked bike like a Gold Wing trike AND a Can-Am Spyder.

What are the differences in handling of each, on the straights, in the twisties, all types of riding? How does handling compare between the two?

Thanks for any advice.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WingMan71 View Post
    Going to have to go to three wheels soon. Been riding Gold Wings since 1984, but never a trike.

Would like to hear from folks who have ridden BOTH a rear wheel triked bike like a Gold Wing trike AND a Can-Am Spyder.

What are the differences in handling of each, on the straights, in the twisties, all types of riding? How does handling compare between the two?

Thanks for any advice.
    When riding any type of Touring bike became a thing I could no longer do safely, I looked at the Wing Trike and the HD ….. neither impressed me - Period !!!! …. Then I rode the Can-Am 08 GS, and I found nirvana …. The handling alone won me over, I opted for the manual …. but after trying the semi-auto - my next two Spyders were Semi-auto's ….. My only issue is comparing the Wings reliability to the Spyder - Wing wins --- but not by enough to make me consider one over my RT ….. try all three, if possible, you may feel different but I doubt it …… PS, before you try the Spyder read the Do's & Don'ts especially about HOW TO DRIVE ONE ….they handle very differently than a Two wheeler , but are also different from Conventional trikes ……. good luck ….. Don't be shy about asking Specific questions - we are here to help ….. annnnnnnnnnnnd ...… Mike

Spyder Garage
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WingMan71 View Post

Thanks for any advice.
    Rode a Harley trike for 5 years and found it to be very rough riding, too rough for back issues. Switched to Spyder last spring and will never go back. Ride comparison wins hands down. There is a difference between double drive wheels vs. single driver when on loose material but nothing bad once you realize it will release, fish tail, easier. I love the ride on the Spyder.

=bob=
    2018 RTL--------------------------------2018 RTL
    Champagne Metallic-------------------Oxford Blue
    Lamonster Pegs------------------------Lamonster Pegs
    Motorcycle Dave Gel seat inserts----Motorcycle Dave Gel seat inserts
    Big Bike Parts Backrests--------------Big Bike Parts Backrests
    Magic Mirror mounts------------------Magic Mirror mounts
    Tri-Axis Handlebar---------------------Tri-Axis Handlebar
    KurYakyn Grips-------------------------Foam Grips

2018 Limited , Champagne Metallic

Spyder Garage

Been riding since age 12. When I turned 64, I had difficulty picking up a dropped 800 pound bike so I had a Hannigan conversion kit put on a Venture. Stable yes, but boring to ride. Like riding in a pickup with the windows down. Went back to a Road Star. Again too heavy to pick up so I added an outrigger kit. Kept loosing pieces. Finally test ride on a 2014 RT. Spooky at first, but I was okay with the possibility. Finally bought a 2017 RTS. After 18 months and 24,000 miles, I'm totally satisfied. Now at 76 I'm ready keep on riding.

Spyder Garage

Fits in small 19RR grey wolf toy hauler!
    image000000_05.jpgIMG_20180916_125356.jpg
    2021 RT LTD Petrol Blue DARK delivered 9/22/20
    New Engine @ 500 miles 4/8/21 - 5/21 due to oil leak in block
    https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...400-miles-HELP
    2018 RT-L , Blue

Spyder Garage

https://youtu.be/mulK8BnPXAY

Start watching around the 5:00 minute mark. I was in the process of deciding which route to go, never having ridden anything on 3 wheels, but forced into the decision as so many are by medical. The stability of the reverse trike is what sold me, along with a real reverse gear. All I need now is a back up camera! Just my $.02.
    h0gr1der
    2018 RT Limited Blue/Chrome SE6 *Tri-Axis Bars*Adjustable Driver Backrest*175/55R15 Vredestein Front, 205/60R15 Vredestein Rear Tires*Baja Ron Front Spring Pre-Load Adjusters*Misty Mountain Sheepskin seat cover*Centramatic balancers *Garmin Zumo 595LM GPS*KOTT Grills*BajaRon swaybar*SpyderPops Alignment*Missing Belt guard*Magnetic Mirrors*Custom Rear Adjustable Shock*360° LED Headlights & Foglights*Progressive front fender turn signals
    States Visited on Less than 4 wheels.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I can help with some of your questions...Reverse Trikes way out handle any traditional trikes...There is some VERY interesting reading material on the Endeavor Reverse Trike Conversion site...I also read a similar article several years ago when Motor Trike came out with their reverse trike Prowler...

I did test ride the Motor trike Prowler at Americade 2 years ago and it did NOT impress me at all...Handling was terrible...

I also rode tested several Sturgis R18 reverse trike conversions...VERY IMPRESSIVE HANDLING AND GREAT RIDING MACHINES...But YOU NEED to get the EASY STEER OPTION...

Never rode or saw the Endeavor Conversion, but there was a nice article in Wing World Sept. 2019 magazine...

If you already have a Gold Wing, the conversion may be a less expensive option and you keep the GW reliability...

All the above are conversion kits...

The Spyders are FACTORY BUILT Reverse Trikes with warranties...

Many of us have had GREAT results with our Spyders...but NOT everyone...

Back in late 2013, if BRP would not have stepped up to the 1330 motor and SE6 speed trans I was ready to pull the trigger on a Sturgis R18...

I do NOT miss the clutch lever or the poor reverse on the older Gold Wings...

The newer GW with the DCT is a sweet ride...

DO YOUR HOMEWORK...ROAD TEST MANY...BUY WHAT YOU LIKE THE BEST...

Spyder Garage

Default Tossing in with the spyder.....

Have Ryden them all...side car, trike, and reverse trike and have to say hands down the spyder is and has been the best for me. but you really need to test them out as they are all different. Unfortunately they dropped the best ones, for my ryding style, but still have good choices. Wing Ryder gravitate to the RT but try them all...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

I rode 2 wheels for 50 years but an accident in 2011 trashed my Royal Star and left me unable to continue on 2 wheels but not ready to give up riding. My friend was was giving up riding at 88 so I bought his 1500 Goldwing Se trike. I put 40,000 miles on that trike in 4 years. It never excited me. It was stone ax reliable,but handled like a dump truck. It got terrible gas mileage. It always felt like it was going to plow straight ahead in a hard corner,but putting a bigger tire on the front helped with that a lot. I could however, throw it into a broad slide which was fun. It got me back to riding again after the accident and I did ride it many miles. Then I took a ride on a Spyder RT. No it didn't lean but boy could I throw it into a curve. I can't broad slide it but I can push it hard in a corner. I can ride longer distance with less fatigue. It is smooth,it is quiet, and this one at least, is reliable. I bought it in June 2015 with 8500 miles on it in, and it now has 51,000+. BTW this is a VTwin/5 speed. So go ride them all. Ride a Harley Triglide ( the only other factory trike), Ride a Hannigan Goldwing conversion, ride a Roadsmith,ride every one you can and ride a SpyderRT ride a Spyder F3. They are all different and you will find the one right for you. I'll bet it is the Spyder.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Very Active Member tofriendscreek's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

With all the opinions expressed previously, I would simply add, its my belief and feeling that riding a conventional trike is comparatively like driving a dump truck, whereas ryding a spyder is like a sports car. I’ll add that three wheeled ATV’s were discontinued for several reasons.
    2022 Plasma Red, F3 Limited, Special Series

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Friendscreek, good comment, especially three wheeled thing, and I find the Spyder way better than the Road Smith GW conversion.

Spyder Garage

I have only rode a GW trike for about 15 miles and from that experience I can tell you that I would absolutely crush a trike on either a track or road with my F3 Limited, there just isn't any question as to which machine has superior handling.
    2018 F3 Limited , Black/Chrome

Spyder Garage

I miss the ATC. I had one and loved it. What I found was that two-wheel riders would get on it, injure themselves and blame it on the trike. I watched this many times. When I got mine, my brother tried riding it several times. He's about 7 years older and has been riding most of his life. It threw him off every time. I sold mine before going to Japan, and was sorely disappointed when I came back that they were no longer available new. I tried a 4-wheeler, but didn't love it.
    2014 RT-S Orange - LED headlights/driving lights, LED under mirror turns, LED brake/run lights along trunk and saddlebags, LED third brake light, LED turn bulb replacements, Magic Mirrors, Voltmeter, Oil PSI gauge, heated gear connection, BRP backrest, dash Mount USB plug, Lamonster belt tensioner, Baja Ron sway bar, NBV highway pegs, BRP arm rests M2 suspension.
    2014 RT-S , Orange

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Besides handling, I feel that a reverse trike like the Spyder is also safer for another reason -- You can see the widest part of the trike when squeezing thru tight spaces. You can't do that with a "traditional" trike.
    Bert

Spyder Garage

I've had both, a converted conventional trike (put 30K miles on it) and an F3 Spyder Ltd (26K miles, so far). My own opinion is, my conventional trike was my Cadillac and my Spyder is my Corvette........which do you want to ride/drive.......you "ride" the conventional trike, but you have to "drive" a Spyder. Meaning that it takes more work to ride the Spyder as it handles much more precisely than a conventional trike. My thoughts.........

O. J.
    Ridin' "Lucille", the MusicMaker
    a 2017 F3 Limited (Pure Magnesium Metallic)
    Wife, Jan, riding "Ruby Jane"
    a 2016 F3-T (Intense Red Pearl)
    2017 F3-Limited , Magnesium (light grey)

Spyder Garage

I've ridden GL1500 conversions, GL1800 conversions, the H-D TriGlide, a Road King conversion, a couple of RTs and my F3T. There was no contest between either the RT/FT and any of the conversions or the TriGlide - the RT and F3 have much better, more stable handling. I thought the RT had a lot more body lean due to the higher seat position, but nowhere near that demonstrated by any of the conversions or the TriGlide. My daughter rode the TriGlide with me and remarked that she thought it was trying to buck her off! My wife said in no uncertain terms that she prefers the F3T to any of the other trikes we've test ridden together. My personal preference for the F3T is due to hip problems; the seating position of the RT causes me pain after just a few minutes. The one mildly negative observation I've made about the F3T is that it's more upper body work to ride it on curvy roads compared to a 2 wheel motorcycle, but I observed the same about every trike or trike conversion that I've ridden.

Ride every trike and every version of the Spyder that you can and you'll find your own preference, I have no doubt.
    2017 F3T , Black, black and more black

Spyder Garage

If you are going to convert a Gold Wing or other bike (and want to spend a lot of money), then you want a kit from Tilting Motor Works... you get full normal tilting, and get a reverse trike. I still prefer my Spyder to conversion kits, but if Can Am ever makes a tilting Spyder... it would get my attention.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

As you see I have a 2017 RTS (my third Spyder) and a 2002 Gold Wing with a 2005 Motor Trike kit and I like both. They are different rides for sure. Too many differences to list but in the hill country I like my Spyder as it is easier in the twisties. If going to west Texas on the Interstate, the Wing is my choice. Heading west the speed limit is 80 and you need to be in the right lane as the red necks will run over you.....ha ha The Wing controls are much better/easier to operate and the CB is far superior to the BRP mess. Both are great machines.

I traded my 2014 RT for a 2017 Mr. White RT-S. I am George Lewis. I live two miles from Boerne, TX. I am 89, retired USAF and Sony Corp. I also have a GW MotorTrike. My email: scoot62@aol.com

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA
    If you have not been to Luckenbach, your journey is not complete.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Good post Mr. White.....

Spyder Garage

Try Sykik for backup camera, pretty new, but getting the bugs worked out I think
    2016 RT Limited - Hicklin Powersport (Des Moines, IA)

BaJaRon Swaybar, Custom Painted (Sue Hopper), Dashmount, Dongle - BRP, FOBO Tire Monitoring System, Lidlox, Magic Mirror Mounts , Safety Light Package,
    Wide-Vu Mirrors, Hopnel Saddlebag Liners, Saddlebag Nets, F$ Tall Boy Windshield (without Vent)

Odds & Ends
    Ron Bandy Motorcycle Driving Course - ronbandy.com
    1000A Battery Pack, Air Pack, Black Dymond Detailer
    2016 RT Limited , Black

Spyder Garage

I have owned a GW trike conversion. Three years and 25,000 miles and I had had enough of it. It rode nice, handled good. But the steering was aweful. They came out with a more raked triple tree that was like power steering. But it also made the front end twitchy feeling. Also you had to hope if you had a problem that the dealer you stopped at would touch it. A lot of Honda dealers were refusing to touch trikes. I tested the HD Tri-Glide. Could not wait for the ride to end. Very harsh ride, noisey as well. Went across the street and test rode the Spyder RT twin cylinder. It was great right from the get go. I purchased the very first RT 3 cylinder that my dealer sold. Handling of the Spyder is hands down head and shoulders better than the GW or HD trikes! And it has a factory warranty by one maker. You just have to hope that the dealer you go to is a competent one. Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Tango, interesting and informative comment. See you're a Florida rider, I was checking out Barney's of Brandon on Saturday, like most dealers, they several brands, 4 wheelers and floor full of 'stuff'. Had several nice looking RTs on the floor, talked with the floor manager about their 'shop', he went into detail why their shop was a great shop and did the job to satisfy the customer. Of course, it would be nice to talk to Spyder riders that had actually used their shop, but you know how that goes, hard to find. I did do a demo ride with the wife on the pillion at another dealer several months ago, and totally agree with you, the RT ride is so easy, suspension is super nice. I do not know how it would be on 500 mile day, but if it's anything like the demo.....A 500 mile day would be very easy.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bikerbillone View Post
    Tango, interesting and informative comment. See you're a Florida rider, I was checking out Barney's of Brandon on Saturday, like most dealers, they several brands, 4 wheelers and floor full of 'stuff'. Had several nice looking RTs on the floor, talked with the floor manager about their 'shop', he went into detail why their shop was a great shop and did the job to satisfy the customer. Of course, it would be nice to talk to Spyder riders that had actually used their shop, but you know how that goes, hard to find. I did do a demo ride with the wife on the pillion at another dealer several months ago, and totally agree with you, the RT ride is so easy, suspension is super nice. I do not know how it would be on 500 mile day, but if it's anything like the demo.....A 500 mile day would be very easy.
    Daytona Spyder Dealer is a multi line dealer also. Had my Spyder serviced there in June. I called in the morning for an appt.. Serviced writer asked if I could bring it right in. I had another appt. so he said bring it in the morning. Spyder tech came out to tell me mine was the best one he had ridden. And he also mentioned how clean it was. And he was no kid. Very happy with them. The local Spyder club also gets their Spyder serviced there. Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Good stuff Tom, thanks much for sharing.