Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New GPS?

Spyder Garage

Default New GPS?

How is everyone liking the new integrated GPS instead of the old Garmin?

Spyder Garage

Many are installing Garmins on the new BRP Connect bikes as the navigation on phone with link to bike screen does not work well at all. The 2020s have the Garmin as an option again. We also found out the power wiring harness for the Garmin is still on the 18 and 19 RTs to add a Garmin to them.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

IMO, it's good to see BRP offering the Garmin for MY 2020. The BRP Connect system and reliance on a cell phone was a major detractor to giving me even the slightest possible urge to consider trading up to a 2018 or 2019 RT.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

I actually really don't miss my Garmin at all. But I don't use BRP Connect to display my phone on the dash. My phone is mounted on the handle bars. I like that much better. That way I can use any GPS app I want. Also any other apps I want want because the phone screen is not locked.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Very Active Member eddieshep999's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I’m about to change my 2015 RT for a 2018 F3T
    Having read about the connect system I have just purchased a new Zumo 396 with lifetime maps included
    This replaces my Zumo 660 which I had on my first Spyder in 2010 it has been updated with the latest maps having purchased lifetime maps several years ago for a one-off fee
    The Zumo comes with a car kit so I can use it for the Spyder or my car
    I can’t take BRP connect with me when using the car and I will not need to purchase any map updates
    Also Garmin updates their software from time to time and with the Zumo 396 any updates can be made over Wi Fi no need to make a special trip to a Cam am dealer my nearest is over 110 miles each way
    Eddie Sheppard
    Poole Dorset UK

Get a Spyder - See the World

Spyder Garage

Billy, how do you protect you phone from the elements on your handlebars? My last long tour in July we had one day where we rode through about four hours of frog strangling rain. I keep my phone plugged in in my trunk. Thanks!
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    Billy, how do you protect you phone from the elements on your handlebars? My last long tour in July we had one day where we rode through about four hours of frog strangling rain. I keep my phone plugged in in my trunk. Thanks!
    I use a waterproof phone pouch from Amazon. You can still use the phone when it is in the pouch.
    2018 Spyder ST Limited , Asphalt Gray

Spyder Garage

Default A vote for BRP Connect

I've read all of the complaints about BRP connect, but personally, I've come to like and appreciate it. I have "Sygic Maps Premium Connected" downloaded to my phone and I it displays just fine on my instrument panel. My phone (Samsung Galaxy J3 -Android) is plugged in to the USB connector in the glove box and is also connected thru Bluetooth to BRP Connect (both required to make Sygic Maps work properly. The route guidance works just fine, audio is thru all six speakers on my F3 Ltd, volume will blow your doors off and I have no complaints with it.

Yes, I also have a Garmin Zumo 660LM, but if I didn't already own a Garmin I would not go out and buy one based on my experience with Sygic Maps and BRP Connect.

Between the two, I'd say that the Garmin is more user friendly for finding POI's on the fly while traveling (gas stations, food, etc) mainly due to ease of using the touch screen. But just for traveling to a destination, I think the Sygic Maps is just as good as the Garmin. No problems with it what-so-ever. Dependable - hell yes - been using it for a few months now and it has been completely reliable.

I'll add that I do not use a Bluetooth communicator on my helmet, I ride and travel alone and find the six speakers on my Spyder just fine (despite what the nay sayers are saying). I use BRP connect mainly for the onboard navigation feature.

Yes, there is definitely a learning curve to use BRP Connect correctly, sometimes it can be difficult, but in the end, I think it's great for what I use it for
    2019 F3 Limited
    2019 F3 Limited , Oxford Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    My phone is a Samsung A8. It has a dirt and water intrusion rating of IP68. I think that's good for being submerged in 1 meter (3 feet) of water for 30 minutes. Little bit of rain won't hurt it.

Check the specs on your phone. Many new phones have a water resistance rating.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I would never buy a stand alone GPS unit like Garmin or TomTom. Their processors are way slower than smartphones. I use Sygic and it works great in the dash. Creating routes on the phone is much faster than trying to do one in a Garmin unit. I enjoy the iTunes Radio even though I have to start the music before I connect it to the bike. The only reason many want to use a Garmin is because they're used to it and anything new takes time to learn and, it seems, many don't want to do that.

I can enjoy FM or phone music in either the headset or speakers and the speakers are loud enough that I shut them off when in city traffic. TomTom app is still available but Garmin took theirs off because many are wanting free stuff like Waze or Google Maps. $40 isn't all that much compared to a stand alone $500-600 unit. You can download Google maps but that takes time and it's much easier to just open Sygic and make a route. New technology is here to stay and if you don't get used to it, in the long run, you loose.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Flamewinger View Post
    New technology is here to stay and if you don't get used to it, in the long run, you loose.
    Don't dismiss old technology too quickly! The twine knotter on modern hay balers is the same mechanism patented nearly 120 years ago and used on grain binders!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    My phone is a Samsung A8. It has a dirt and water intrusion rating of IP68. I think that's good for being submerged in 1 meter (3 feet) of water for 30 minutes. Little bit of rain won't hurt it.

Check the specs on your phone. Many new phones have a water resistance rating.
    Thanks much, Billy.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

I installed Genius Maps on my phone to use with BRP Connect on my 2018 RTL when I bought it and find it a nuisance....map is too small and hard to read on the screen, although I find the directions are in a larger font. Also found the voice commands annoying... thing screeches "Youre going too fast" constantly lol. I will look for a dedicated gps unit over the winter ... anyone had experiences with the TomTom vs Garmin on Spyders?? Wondered if there are issues installing them given Garmin seems BRP's choice. I have always used TomToms or Magellans in my cars over the years.

You can't get there from here....

Mods and Tweaks:
    Showcrome Trunk Rack
    Showcrome LED Trunk Light
    Garmin 390LM
    Spyderzone Floating Hiway Boards
    Spyderzone Mount Dash Bracket
    BajaRon Antisway Bar
    Showcrome full-size brake pedal
    Spyder-2-Go Driver Cup holder
    Ram X phone mount
    SpyderExtras 12 volt Docking Station
    BRP Driver Backrest
    Monster 4K Action Camera
    Spyderzone LED Fender Mount Spotlights
    CASA LED Headlights and Foglights
    2018 RT Limited , Ashphalt Metallic

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Northofthesix View Post
    I installed Genius Maps on my phone to use with BRP Connect on my 2018 RTL when I bought it and find it a nuisance....map is too small and hard to read on the screen, although I find the directions are in a larger font. Also found the voice commands annoying... thing screeches "Youre going too fast" constantly lol. I will look for a dedicated gps unit over the winter ... anyone had experiences with the TomTom vs Garmin on Spyders?? Wondered if there are issues installing them given Garmin seems BRP's choice. I have always used TomToms or Magellans in my cars over the years.
    Sygic is cheaper and easier to use. There are features in the setting that you can adjust to it doesn't tell you "Your're going to fast". Smartphone GPS is much easier than the standalone slow ones are.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    Many are installing Garmins on the new BRP Connect bikes as the navigation on phone with link to bike screen does not work well at all. The 2020s have the Garmin as an option again. We also found out the power wiring harness for the Garmin is still on the 18 and 19 RTs to add a Garmin to them.
    Yes.
    I'm getting the optional GPS mount with the 2020 RTL.
    I'll move my existing Zumo 590 over to the new bike.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

I would never buy a stand alone GPS unit like Garmin or TomTom. Their processors are way slower than smartphones. I use Sygic and it works great in the dash. Creating routes on the phone is much faster than trying to do one in a Garmin unit. I enjoy the iTunes Radio even though I have to start the music before I connect it to the bike. The only reason many want to use a Garmin is because they're used to it and anything new takes time to learn and, it seems, many don't want to do that.
    not entirely true on that some of us simply make most out of stand alone units especially if you like hiking nice relaxing ride to good trails, middle of nowhere & quite nice to still have a device that you can drop a pin location to find where you parked after wandering around (on & off trail)enjoying sights on foot for hour or so handy at large events too when closest free parking is 1/4-1/2 mile away SOME not All

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

I can enjoy FM or phone music in either the headset or speakers and the speakers are loud enough that I shut them off when in city traffic. TomTom app is still available but Garmin took theirs off because many are wanting free stuff like Waze or Google Maps. $40 isn't all that much compared to a stand alone $500-600 unit. You can download Google maps but that takes time and it's much easier to just open Sygic and make a route. New technology is here to stay and if you don't get used to it, in the long run, you loose.
    Lately, Garmins have been driving, pardon the humor, us nuts. Not on the Spyder so much, but it would not matter. Either incorrect directions at random times, or the Garmin not wavering from the route it almost demands you adhere too.

A recent long distance trip, with the wife navigating, had her using a simple phone app to sort the desired route vs the Garmin demanding we use its route. Essentially we were head south out of Boston towards home in Florida. We wanted to avoid New York City and much of I95 along the east coast. Any easy route and more relaxing drive, but longer travel time. For whatever reason, the phone app was fine with it, but the Garmin was not.

Regardless, each has its place. Will research Sygic and a few of the other non Garmin apps. Kind of sad Garmin does not have more processor power and the ability to alter the route by dragging the touch screen.

Actually, thinking about this, at tne last map update from Garmin, the device wanted a memory card installed. I did and everything seemed fine. On this recent trip, the Garmin continually displayed it was not able to display the entire route. Wonder if the 660 will have similar issues on the Spyder.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bfromla View Post
    not entirely true on that some of us simply make most out of stand alone units especially if you like hiking nice relaxing ride to good trails, middle of nowhere & quite nice to still have a device that you can drop a pin location to find where you parked after wandering around (on & off trail)enjoying sights on foot for hour or so handy at large events too when closest free parking is 1/4-1/2 mile away SOME not All
    Maybe I don't understand what you are trying to say. But everything you describe can be done by your smartphone and often better. So carrying an extra device that does not work as well. Seems like not a good idea.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Flamewinger, I have a question for you.

I looked at sygic and found that it is on sale for $13.99 until 13 Oct, 2019 but my issue is as follows:

You need to have and use email on an Android phone in order to send a map generated on their web site to the phone. I do not use email on the phone nor want to. Is there any other way to send the generated map to the phone???

Dean Secord AKA seaweed
    Veteran: U.S. Air Force
    2015 RT-S SE6

My Mods:
    TricLed Turn Signal, Squared Away Sept, 2016,SpyderPops Bump Skid, SpyderPops Missing Rock Guard, ION camera, Show Chrome Back Rest,
    Show Chrome Hitch. Leesure-lite trailer, Hopnel 850 Saddlebag Liners, Hopnel 3 piece lid netset - trunk and saddlebags
    Magic Brake Strobe/Flasher, DIY LED light strips on upper and lower A frames, BlueKnight911 Magic Mirrors,
    DIY superior grill, USB port, Hwy pegs, DIY Flag mounts for USA and US Air Force flags,
    Method to open Frunk and seat without using key, LED headlights and LED fog lights, turn signal switch safety mod

Spyder Garage

My 2 cents worth.
    Rever. Forget it. Even if you buy the additional in app add ons it sucks dirty pond water. Display on a 2019 RTL dash is almost worthless.

Sygic. Displays nice. Distance to next turn, direction, etc is very good. Setting up a simple trip to Nashville from Clinton, MS using the Natchez Trace Parkway requires at least 10 via points to keep from getting sidetracked on State roads. If going using the Interstate its very fast and offers 2 different routes. Would be great if it allowed you to set up a route when you had to use a bunch of via points on the computer and then download to the phone.

Garmin. Old reliable. Only required 2 via points for it to set up the trip and stay on the Trace.
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by seaweed View Post

I looked at sygic and found that it is on sale for $13.99 until 13 Oct, 2019 but my issue is as follows:

You need to have and use email on an Android phone in order to send a map generated on their web site to the phone. I do not use email on the phone nor want to. Is there any other way to send the generated map to the phone???
    Email a map??? Don't know what you're asking. You download map data with the app and can download just the states you want or all of the US. Even Canada and Mexico.

I create the route on the phone, in the app. I stopped using a laptop years ago. You put in the destination then modify the route like you would in Google. Use your finger to move the route like the arrow does on the computer.

IF you are on Facebook, look for BRP Connect Users Group and join it. Lots of us are there helping each other out.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

Wouldn't it be much easier to use android auto and apple car play on Brp conect? They use navigation apps like Google maps and waze that work perfectly. Sygic maps have many errors. 640626D1-CF4A-4293-B7DD-B7C8B8BE81B0.jpg7BC5CE52-EE21-44B1-8281-F3C49859D98A.jpg
    Previously: 2014 RT LIMITED SE6 (Silver Platinum Satin)

Previously : 2011 RT TECHNO SE5 (Pure Magnesium Metallic)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by seaweed View Post

If you're looking at Sygic to use with BRP Connect on your Spyder, someone's confused! Seems that most of the skeptics have not actually used Sygic or Genius maps on BRP Connect. I've traveled all over the US using a Garmin 660LM when I was on a Goldwing. With my Spyder, after downloading the BRP Connect app, I purchased and downloaded Sygic Premium Connected (I think it was about $68 when I bought it), downloaded six states where I normally travel (could have downloaded all of North America if I wanted) and believe me, it navigates just as good as my old Garmin 660.

Being able to plan routes on my phone is so much more convenient than a stand-alone GPS it's not worth debating. Yes, the display on my Spyder's instrument panel is slightly smaller but still contains all the information you'd ever want for an on-board nav system and the volume thru my speakers will blow your doors off (have to get used to that women's voice when an English accent though. And unlike Garmin, Sygic Maps updates automatically since it's an app on my phone. Easy Peezy!

$13.99 for Sygic ?- you're looking at the wrong thing if you're intending to use BRP Connect. You need go thru Google Pay Store and download the Sygic car navigation premium connected. If you don't get the "connected" it won't work with your BRP Connect. It's a one-time fee and your good forever.

In summary, I can only say that I've been using Sygic Maps on my Spyder F3 Ltd and am completely satisfied with it. Does it have some drawbacks? - certainly, but what doesn't. Overall, I think it was money well spent and I'd highly recommend it. BRP has given us the capability for on-board navigation on the 2018-2019 Spyders so why not use it. JMHO
    2019 F3 Limited
    2019 F3 Limited , Oxford Blue

Spyder Garage

I dont know how you guys are navigating without cell service.I just did a trip in the Smokies of NC and TENN where it was rare to have any signal but my Zumo which came on my 17 rtl had no trouble.I even did over 25 miles of dirt/gravel trails,no road signs,4000 ft altitude,heavy tree cover.That Zumo saved the day,I dont think any phone or App could have done that.
    :
    : 2017 RTL ORBITAL BLUE

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyder01 View Post
    I dont know how you guys are navigating without cell service.I just did a trip in the Smokies of NC and TENN where it was rare to have any signal but my Zumo which came on my 17 rtl had no trouble.I even did over 25 miles of dirt/gravel trails,no road signs,4000 ft altitude,heavy tree cover.That Zumo saved the day,I dont think any phone or App could have done that.
    You are repeating a common myth. A cell phone will work just as well as a stand alone gps. It is app dependant and has nothing to with the phone. If the app has offline maps. No need for cell service.

2018 F3 LIMITED