Thread: Engine heat?

Spyder Garage

Default Engine heat?

As a PROSPECTIVE owner, I'm wondering about engine heat output while riding. Do certain riding conditions result in excessive discomfort? If yes, any ways to minimize it?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by greyhound View Post
    As a PROSPECTIVE owner, I'm wondering about engine heat output while riding. Do certain riding conditions result in excessive discomfort? If yes, any ways to minimize it?
    I've ridden on some 90+ degree days and the only heat I've noticed more tham ambient temps is when I would come to a stop. Hard to tell if it was coming from engine or pavement.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by greyhound View Post
    It depends on what that Spyder has for an engine ….. the V-twins put out a noticeably higher amount of heat ( but could be lessened via some mods ) …. the 1330 has no heat issues that I can find ….. it is very well managed in stock form ….. I have a 2014 RT and wouldn't put chocolate bars in the glove box, but otherwise I have not noticed any heat ….. ( 45,000 + miles and as hot as 100 degree ambient temps ) ….. not an issue …. Mike

Spyder Garage

Default Depends....

there were design flaws but the aftermarket guys came up with cures. Most were with the early model V-twins. New models have no issues other than the normal being outside in the heat....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Girard OH (summer) Greenville SC (winter)
    Spyder Garage

I notice heat on my legs sometimes, but due to the climate I ride within, Ohio in summer SC in winter, it's mostly welcome heat.
    to see my 2016 F3-T and many how to's
    2016 F3-T SE6 Roadster , Extended brake pedal for which I drilled out the brake rod yolk to lower it and added spacers to lift it slightly Black/Grey

Spyder Garage

Thanks to all who replied. Doesn't appear to be a concern for me now. If I buy, it will be with the 1330.

Spyder Garage

Default Yes, on the heat

Hey Greyhound I just joined the forum as I have just purchased a 2018 F3-T. I live in South Carolina and today was 98 degrees in the shade! I just came in from a ride and did notice that the engine does get pretty warm but it is not intolerable. I am coming off riding a two wheeler and I think the heat from the engine is higher with the Spyder. I am not complaining but just replying to your question with my thoughts.
    I love riding in the mountains in the fall so the extra heat will be welcome then! Don't let a little heat keep you from getting a Spyder! I love mine and have only had it a few days!

Paul
    2018 F3-T , Matte black

Spyder Garage

When I rode home my new F3 last Sat it was very hot out and everytime I stopped I could feel the heat from the engine without a doubt

Spyder Garage

I have been riding my F3T wearing shorts in 98 degree Florida heat. (Lots of humidity) Rode two wheels for 40 years, (Last was a Gold Wing), and I find the Spyder to be much cooler than anything I have ridden in the past. There is a bit of heat when you stop, but as mentioned above, it could be the heat radiating off the pavement.
    -Carsong
    2018 F3t
    2018 F3T , Position 5/ full size Matt Black

Spyder Garage

There are a number of options to manage any heat issues the rider might have on a Spyder. As mentioned, different models/years had varying heat issues. Most riders also have varying heat tolerances as well. I've never owned a motorcycle where I didn't get some heat off the engine, especially when stopped. You have to understand that when you basically sit right over the engine/exhaust, etc., it's a bit naive to think you're never going to feel any heat. If you want climate control, drive a car....
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Just done 3,500 km around Spain on my new F3-S. It was hot in the south. Not once did I feel any heat come off the engine.

Spyder Garage

I've noticed a little heat coming off the engine when stopped and the fan kicks in on a 110 degree day. Other than that I've never noticed any heat coming off the Spyder.

Spyder Garage

F3's fans blow forward when stopped or moving under 6Mph - this helps a lot with heat management. I just rode from work for an hour and a half in 90+ degrees and traffic, in full face helmet and jacket, didn't notice any heat from the engine.

Spyder Garage

I just didn’t cat delete on my F3-L. The heat on my legs at low speeds is noticeably less than with the cat.