Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Unhappy Bought demo 2017 RT as new, BRP says warranty time used by dealer demo period?

On June 21, 2018 I bought a 2017 RT-S from RPM Powersports in Lakewood, CO. This RT had been the dealership demo Spyder and had 301 miles on the odometer. I got a moderate discount on it as a demo unit, but it was sold to me as a new bike, and I was assured by RPM I would have the full two year factory warranty. All of the paperwork - Bill of Sale, Title, Loan document, and Registration list it as a new vehicle, with date of sale of June 21, 2018.

Fast forward a year and two months. RPM is defunct, they were bought out by a nearby outfit, G-Force Powersports, which is a Can-Am service center. So I take my Spyder to GForce for the 3000 mile service and to replace the battery, which had gone bad.

GForce tells me that the BRP database shows that the warranty on my Spyder has expired, because it was started in June 2017 - a year before I bought it. They theorize that RPM started the warranty clock running when they began using the Spyder as a demo model. Of course no one from the defunct dealership is available to check this story against. GForce has opened a case with BRP to get their input on the situation.

Has anyone heard of a situation like this? Do dealers ever start the clock running on a warranty by using the machine as a demo unit?
    current ryde: 2017 RT-S

previous bikes:
    1975 Yamaha RD 200, 1978 Honda CX 500, 1980 Yamaha SR 500, 1982 Kawasaki GPZ 550,
    2005 Suzuki V-Strom 650, 2006 Yamaha FJR 1300, 2015 Kawasaki Versys 650LT
    2017 RT-S , bronze

Spyder Garage

Ouch sorry to hear & first I’ve heard of this maybe others know something

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

The warranty should start with date-in-service, which means the date it was first sold and registered. If the dealer registered the bike to the dealership, then that might be considered date-in-service. However, they should have demoed the bike with dealer tags, in which case the bike would have never officially been registered and put in service.
    Good luck, I hope BRP gets it sorted out for you.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spyder Insyder View Post
    The warranty should start with date-in-service, which means the date it was first sold and registered. If the dealer registered the bike to the dealership, then that might be considered date-in-service. However, they should have demoed the bike with dealer tags, in which case the bike would have never officially been registered and put in service.
    This has happened before …. BRP claims the dealer technically registered that Spyder - so therefore that's when the warranty began ….. AND RPM KNEW THIS …. or should have ….. sorry you were mis-informed …… Mike

Spyder Garage

This is an interesting situation. Please let us know the outcome. Too often people describe problems they are experiencing here, and we get interested, and then they never report back on the final outcome. Hope you get something worked out that's okay for you.
    2018 Spyder RT Limited
    Asphalt Gray
    Can Am Passenger Armrests
    Can Am Comfort Seat
    Spyder Accessories Floating Footpegs
    Utopia Driver Backrest
    Bajaron Sway Bar
    Sena 20s Bluetooth
    Lidlocks Helmet Holders
    F4 Tall and Wide Tinted Windshield
    Fobo Tire Monitor
    Lamonster Spyderdock Cell Phone Holder
    Sheepskin Seat Cover
    Drink2Go Cup Holders
    Magic Mirror
    Can Am Trailer Hitch
    Missing Belt Guard

Wish List - LED Headlights and Fog lights

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Dealership Demo

Sounds like a Deal gone South. A dealer can check out the history for you. I have heard about this and Cam Am needs step up to the plate on this. Good Luck on your Mission.....
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

Way, way back in the olden days I was in the automobile business. At that time dealer demos were sold with "full factory waranties". Your interpretation of that ambiguous statement is open to your own interpretation..... Bottom line, dealers, owners, and manufacturers can do what they want. Some choose to do the right thing...... some don't..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It was used as a demo that is when the warranty started even though it was never titled. Happens that way on cars too. So the date they started driving it is the date the warranty started,

Like Mike stated you were misinformed.

Most likely BRP will not change there minds on your grievance.

Spyder Garage

I bought rt demo warranty started day I bought it dealer used it on dealer plate he never titled it in his name.

Spyder Garage

It has been this way since I know of. On snowmobiles the dealer must register the sled with BRP as a Demo by December 1st. Once registered the warranty starts ( SINCE IS NOW OFFICIALLY OWNED) Been this way for years on snowmobile. Same with Can am Commanders too. I assume there is a date that dealers need to register the Spyders too. I am guessing it is January or February due to southern warm weather. I also know that all the learner to drive courses bike’s offered need registered too which means warranty is started. Motomember outside Richmond buys a ton on demo bikes from the DMV/ CANAM at way cheaper prices and sells them at way cheaper prices with only 300 miles etc. You should always look at the warranty paperwork before signing. You had a pink and yellow sheet that you signed when buying. That was the warranty papers saying when it ended or started, or add on for best warranty. Sorry to hear your misfortune but that is the way it has been since I can remember way back in the 90’s with BRP. My dad sold for them and I remember him always saying buy a demo 2 months before the warranty expired it was the cheapest and then add the best warranty to extend. You can only add best if there is factory warranty on the vehicle.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spyder Insyder View Post
    If the dealer registered the bike to the dealership, then that might be considered date-in-service. However, they should have demoed the bike with dealer tags, in which case the bike would have never officially been registered and put in service.
    Well, it had dealer tags on it whenever I saw it. And if they had registered it with the state, I wouldn't think they could have then registered the sale to me selling the bike as new.

previous bikes:
    1975 Yamaha RD 200, 1978 Honda CX 500, 1980 Yamaha SR 500, 1982 Kawasaki GPZ 550,
    2017 RT-S , bronze

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    This has happened before …. BRP claims the dealer technically registered that Spyder - so therefore that's when the warranty began ….. AND RPM KNEW THIS …. or should have ….. sorry you were mis-informed …… Mike
    Wonderful. It seems I bought the Spyder about a month before RPM closed up and sold out, and my salesperson was one of the owners. So I may have been the target of a deliberate "exit scam" on the warranty. Charming.

previous bikes:
    2017 RT-S , bronze

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

We bought a 2017 Nissan Murano that was considered a demo/loaner vehicle. When they decided to sell the car (normally at around 6k miles), it is sold as certified pre-owned. That is to the buyers advantage. As with that you get a 10 yr, 100k mile warranty instead of the 5 year, 60k mile warranty. You also save about 8-10k on the sticker price. All for letting someone else drive the car for about 6k miles.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Wmoater View Post
    It has been this way since I know of. On snowmobiles the dealer must register the sled with BRP as a Demo by December 1st. Once registered the warranty starts ( SINCE IS NOW OFFICIALLY OWNED) Been this way for years on snowmobile. Same with Can am Commanders too...You can only add best if there is factory warranty on the vehicle.
    Well, I guess I've learned something new. Never bought a snowmobile or ATV in my life - never even ridden one - so I was expecting this to be treated like a normal motorcycle/car sale. And yes, I knew about the BEST warranty having to be bought while still under the factory warranty. I had asked RPM about this, and was told I needed to buy the BEST warranty by June 2020.

There was no misunderstanding - I was deliberately misled by senior management of a dealership that knew they were going out of business shortly and wouldn't be around when I found out I'd been scammed.

previous bikes:
    2017 RT-S , bronze

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

The best you can hope for is if you can show where RPM stated the warranty started when they sold you the RT then BRP may make an exception and sell you the BEST warranty back dated to when the factory warranty ran out.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

You should have received and signed a yellow, pink or white form that is either typed or hand written in the center when your warrenty expires. It is part of the 31 page packet you sign over at all dealers. Give or take the 31 pagesIf you didn’t receive one maybe your dealer never filled it out and sent it to BRP. That could be a bit of ammunition for you when filing. It’s a bumb deal if he deliberately did that. I honestly think you will have a hard time getting BRP to do anything for it really wasn’t their fault but they might. They might but I wouldn’t bank on it. Another option is can you take it to another dealer. Don’t say anything and ask if you can get another company to give you an extended warranty? Dealerships somethings have second party extended warranty. If you can find one that sells cars and powersports that might be and in. Next if it is costly, you might want to turn it into your insurance. Depending on your deductible.....$500 maybe you might be able to go that route. Then sell it next year and start over. You won’t be loosing to much for you have the existing model and there are plenty of people who will wait one year for the 2020’s to get their bugs out since it is new model. Fix it right, sell it so the next guy isn’t scammed, buy new 2018 or 2019 with warranty and start over. Not trying to sound mean or sarcastic. Please don’t take it that way. Just offering a couple suggestions. Good Luck.

Spyder Garage

Many dealers will warranty register slow selling vehicles to claim rebates before they expire. 2017/2018's had huge rebates due to pricing structure. Once they do this, the warranty clock starts ticking. They should have told you this ...
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

Another point..... You said they sold it as listed NEW. If it was registered as demo and your warrenty was used which it was then it is considered USED! The dealer owned it. If they listed it as new then they can be charged for misrepresentation. Look at the titlework. See if they dealer signed it over to you. I don’t think you could get money back but a lawyer could most likely go after someone for you can’t sell New if it was already owned and registered. (Used) Like new but not NEW. Again by the time you pay a lawyer and fees you can probably sell it for that loss. Is there anything wrong with it? I don’t think a battery would have been covered under BEST anyway. If not there are a lot of spyder RT out there more than 4 years old still running fine and they don’t have warrenty.

Spyder Garage

The GOOD NEWS is that your current dealer is trying to get the problem solved through BRP. It will be interesting to hear the final outcome. Now if BRP will step up and make it right?

IMO--you should be given a full warranty (since it had only 300 miles on it) when you picked it up. You were for sure caught in the middle of a bad dealer doing all they could to get their last dollar before calling it quits.

You final sale paperwork...hopefully will contain some points in your favor.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

You should have received and signed a yellow, pink or white form that is either typed or hand written in the center when your warrenty expires.
    I do not recall ever seeing such a document and I'm absolutely certain I didn't get a copy of it.

previous bikes:
    2017 RT-S , bronze

Spyder Garage

Another point..... You said they sold it as listed NEW. If it was registered as demo and your warrenty was used which it was then it is considered USED! The dealer owned it. If they listed it as new then they can be charged for misrepresentation. Look at the titlework. See if they dealer signed it over to you. I don’t think you could get money back but a lawyer could most likely go after someone for you can’t sell New if it was already owned and registered. (Used) Like new but not NEW. Again by the time you pay a lawyer and fees you can probably sell it for that loss. Is there anything wrong with it? I don’t think a battery would have been covered under BEST anyway. If not there are a lot of spyder RT out there more than 4 years old still running fine and they don’t have warrenty.
    Yes, it was titled to me and registered with the State of Colorado as a new bike, and the bill of sale lists it as a new bike. As you say, I might have a cause of action against the former dealership - except they no longer exist.

There's nothing wrong with it (other than the battery), and I'm actually pretty happy with it (other than the unexpectedly truncated warranty). I wasn't sure if the factory warranty would cover the bad battery or not, just figured there was no harm in checking. Didn't expect to find that there wasn't a factory warranty, though. Was trying to decide whether or not to buy the BEST warranty - if BRP doesn't extend the factory warranty, I guess that decision has been made for me.

previous bikes:
    2017 RT-S , bronze

Spyder Garage

While it's true that the selling dealer may have scammed you, they are representing Can Am as an authorized selling dealer. Can Am should step up and make it right for you.
    This has happened many years ago when I lived in Brooklyn, NY. with car dealerships taking money and then just not opening the dealership one day. They just disappeared with peoples deposits. Cars were also locked in the service department. Also a Kawasaki dealer did this way back when and Kawasaki stepped up as well.
    General Motors and Oldsmobile stepped up and made it right.
    Can Am should do the same.

Spyder Garage

I must have had an honest dealer. I bought my 2011 in 2012. It was a Demo. It had 2,000 miles on it. I received full 2 year warrenty. Bruce
    New to Sue and I
    2021, LTD, Asphalt Gray, 22,000 miles
    Gone but not forgotten
    RTS 2011 SM5, 95,000 miles

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

A friend bought a demo RT, and like the OP thought his warranty expired 2 years from the purchase date, so a month before the date he thought his warranty expired he contacted his dealer about buying the BEST extended coverage, he had moved so this dealer was not the one he originally purchased from, he was told that the initial coverage had expired a few months prior. This dealer went to BRP to plead his case and he was able to purchase extended coverage, so don’t give up, they have come through before.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rodentrancher View Post
    Didn't expect to find that there wasn't a factory warranty, though. Was trying to decide whether or not to buy the BEST warranty - if BRP doesn't extend the factory warranty, I guess that decision has been made for me.
    Knowing, from reading a lot of posts here, what the cost of a repair can run, I think you would be wise to get the BEST warranty if possible, for peace of mind if no other reason.
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited