Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2019 F3 Limited

Spyder Garage

Default 2019 F3 Limited

Was on the way home after picking up my brand new Spyder I went over a rough railroad and the left mirror cover falls off and goes flying into the other lane. Luckily I was able to turn around and get back to it before it was ran over. But now I have a brand new Spyder with road rash all over one of the mirrors. Going to call the dealer Monday to see if warranty will replace it.
    Anyone else have this happen yet, I had a 2016 F3T a few years ago but never had parts fall off the bike.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Sold - 2021 RT Limited, Petrol Blue, trailer hitch.

Traded in - 2019 F3 Limited, Blue/Chrome: with
    Baja Ron swaybar, 19” tinted Freedom Windshield, Lamonster LED headlights, IPS Fog Light Kit, trailer hitch, Lamonster Mirror Locks, Ultimate TallBoy Seat.

Sold - 2014 Time-Out Camper

traded in - 2017 Kawasaki ZX14R
    Sold - 2018 Honda Goldwing Tour DTC
    Sold - 2017 Indian Roadmaster
    Traded in - 2016 F3T

And a couple hundred other bikes over the years!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Stangman35 View Post
    Was on the way home after picking up my brand new Spyder I went over a rough railroad and the left mirror cover falls off and goes flying into the other lane. Luckily I was able to turn around and get back to it before it was ran over. But now I have a brand new Spyder with road rash all over one of the mirrors. Going to call the dealer Monday to see if warranty will replace it.
    Anyone else have this happen yet, I had a 2016 F3T a few years ago but never had parts fall off the bike.
    Seems to be an all too common occurrence on the F3 Limiteds. I am in the habit of checking the ones on my 2019 a couple of times a week. Good luck with the warranty, I believe others have been able to get them covered.
    2019 F3 Limited , Big Bike Parts full size pedal Black Metallic

Spyder Garage

The quickest and easiest way to prevent them popping off is some double sided tape, Stangman. Some people have added tethers, others have popped a screw through etc. It is indeed a known issue that has not yet been rectified by CanAm, although some riders never experience it.......luck of the draw, I guess. Just don’t let your dealer con you by saying....”gee, never heard of that happening before”

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Default Cheap insurance

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    The quickest and easiest way to prevent them popping off is some double sided tape, Stangman. Some people have added tethers, others have popped a screw through etc. It is indeed a known issue that has not yet been rectified by CanAm, although some riders never experience it.......luck of the draw, I guess. Just don’t let your dealer con you by saying....”gee, never heard of that happening before”

Pete
    As a preventative measure, I popped mine off ( they came of too easy!), I tied on a small tether with 20# mono fishing line which should easily hold if they fall off... easy peasy!!

Spyder Garage

BRP replaced the mirror covers on my buddies 2019 F3 L when his popped from a pothole.
    2018 F3 Limited , Black/Chrome

Spyder Garage

What/where are you adding the double sided tape?

Poasttown

Spyder Garage

mind came off to and the dealer did replace mind at no cost
    2019 f3t , titanium

Spyder Garage

Talked to the dealer today, so hopefully they can get me a new cover soon.

And does anyone know if this cable is the one that go’s to the usb plugs in the rear trunk and which one on the back of the plug is positive

Baja Ron swaybar, 19” tinted Freedom Windshield, Lamonster LED headlights, IPS Fog Light Kit, trailer hitch, Lamonster Mirror Locks, Ultimate TallBoy Seat.

Traded in - 2016 F3T

Spyder Garage

Talked to the dealer today, so hopefully they can get me a new cover soon.

And does anyone know if this cable is the one that go’s to the usb plugs in the rear trunk and which one on the back of the plug is positive
    That is the connector for the dual usb port in the trunk. Ethier the 19s do not have one or they forgot to connect it. 18s have one.
    2018 F3 Limited , Oxford Blue

Spyder Garage

My wife's mirror cover came off on the highway, no bump. The dealer replaced it under warranty. It's a terrible design how the covers are attached. I really believe that the mirror vibration has a lot to do with the covers coming off. I suggest you get a wedgie. Makes the mirrors completely stable. As to your question about the accessory circuit, that is not the USB charging power in the back of the trunk. That is a plug that allows you to easily tie in extra stuff to your bike. It should follow the standard Black (-) / White (+) configuration. Pull the boot back a bit and it should reveal the wire colors.
    2019 F3 Limited , Phoenix Orange Metallic

Spyder Garage

Nuke

"You said that the plug in the trunk is not a charging port but to tie in other stuff". What stuff are you referring to? An iPod, extra phone for music?

Thanks
    Poasttown

Spyder Garage

Dealer replace my mirror cover under warranty

Spyder Garage

Wires aren’t black and white,Iv hooked them up both ways and get nothing when I plug my phone in.I keep forgetting to bring my good multimeter home from work to test the wires. There was enough voltage to light up my fuse tester led but not enough to light my test light. When I grounded one side of the fuse tester both wires showed they were hot.

Traded in - 2016 F3T

Spyder Garage

Wires aren’t black and white,Iv hooked them up both ways and get nothing when I plug my phone in.I keep forgetting to bring my good multimeter home from work to test the wires. There was enough voltage to light up my fuse tester led but not enough to light my test light. When I grounded one side of the fuse tester both wires showed they were hot.
    Mine was not connected by the dealer at setup either. I check polarity and hooked them up to the terminals under the trunk (which are labeled + and -). The light in the trunk will come on with the ignition but the engine has to be running to get power to the USB ports.
    2019 F3 Limited
    2019 F3 Limited , Oxford Blue

Spyder Garage

So here's what I found in the manual. There's three "customer accessory circuits". One is behind the front storage compartment, one is behind the lateral service cover, and the last one (the one you are looking at) is under the passenger seat. These three circuits are fed by the same fuse: F6R which is a 10A fuse and is on a 12V switched circuit according to the wiring diagram (pink lines indicate 12V switched). The hot line will the the VT/YE (Violet with yellow stripe) wire and the ground will be the BK (black) wire. You will not see 12V until you turn the key on.

accessories 1.jpg accessories 2.JPG accessories 3.jpg

Spyder Garage

So looking at the third pic it looks like it’s also powering the air suspension? I’m not sure if it’s working, Iv never heard the compressor kick on. I did have those wires hooked up right and got nothing at the usb’s Key on or running. Guess I need to check the fuses again. Another question, did they move the amps on the 19’s I was looking at installation instructions for the top box and it showed 2 amps under it. Nothing under mine.

Traded in - 2016 F3T

Spyder Garage

So looking at the third pic it looks like it’s also powering the air suspension? I’m not sure if it’s working, Iv never heard the compressor kick on. I did have those wires hooked up right and got nothing at the usb’s Key on or running. Guess I need to check the fuses again. Another question, did they move the amps on the 19’s I was looking at installation instructions for the top box and it showed 2 amps under it. Nothing under mine.
    No, the fuse is protecting the accessory circuits, the hot is coming in from the left side, meaning the 12V supply is coming in from the left. The portion of the wiring diagram you are looking at shows half the relay supplying selective power from the switched 12V power to the rear suspension air compressor when needed. There's other control signals going to the relay that aren't shown in that snip. As for the amps, I can't say, but it definitely looks like they did. I am pretty sure that there are no more amps for the audio system as it's all coming from the amplified head unit? Maybe someone can correct me on that.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Poasttown View Post
    Nuke

"You said that the plug in the trunk is not a charging port but to tie in other stuff". What stuff are you referring to? An iPod, extra phone for music?

Thanks
    Poasttown
    So, on a hunch, and confused as to why the USB port in the trunk wasn't on any wiring diagram in the manual, I went down to the bike and took a look for myself. I was surprised to see that the customer accessory circuit under the seat was being used to power the USB port in the trunk. I was frankly shocked by this because this eliminates the usefulness of having an accessory circuit in the back of the bike. It's easily remedied however with a little splicing and a few extra spade terminals. Anyway, I was very surprised to find out that I wasn't getting any voltage at those terminals however. I didn't try it with the bike fully turned on, but didn't see how that was relevant according to the wiring diagram. There was nothing denoting that it would be only active if the engine was running. Consequently, I don't think it's getting power even with the engine running. I did several tests last night so I will probably have to check it again, and also make sure I got the polarity correct when I hooked it back up. Being tired and already frustrated at stripping the head off a bolt that the factory (or dealer) put in cross threaded, I may not have payed close enough attention to how I oriented the terminals when I put them back on the USB port. Anyway, I can at least confirm that the rear customer accessory circuit connection is being used by Can Am to power the USB charger in the trunk. A Y-connection would have to be made up to add any actual accessories to this circuit. And why you have to have the bike running in order to power this circuit is a mystery, as is the wiring diagram that does not match this fact. One of the many "errors" I have found in the 2019 service manual.

Spyder Garage

Ok bought my good stuff I keep at work home, bike has to be running to power that wire. Don’t know why it didn’t work the other day but it works now. And the USB port lights up.
    I guess if the 19’s don’t have the amps back there it makes for a little extra storage, I took the tool kit off the bottom of the passenger seat and stuck it back there, may get a little first aid kit or tire plug kit and stick back in there to.
    The stereo system doesn’t seem as loud as my 16 f3t was, May have to dig into that this winter. Amps and aftermarket speakers.

I must have been really tired last night when I was looking at that wiring schematic, anyway it’s working now.

Thanks for the help.

Dealer has ordered my mirror cover, they’ve been making everything good so far. Kind of sucks they are in a different state but they had the best prices I found.

Traded in - 2016 F3T

Spyder Garage

bike has to be running to power that wire.
    I suspect that the reason the engine has to be running to power the USB ports (two of them back there) is because they don't want you charging your gadgets back there with just the ignition on and possible draining the battery.
    2019 F3 Limited
    2019 F3 Limited , Oxford Blue

Spyder Garage

USB charging ports, if left energized, are parasitic. They are little transformers.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

Looks like the amplifier is upfront near the dash on the 19’s. A whole 6x20 Watts. I think that’s going to be a winter project, bigger amp and better speakers.

Traded in - 2016 F3T

Spyder Garage

Well i had the right mirror cover fly off now at 3,002 miles. Left one flew off 25 miles away from the dealer after picking it up new.

My email sent to my dealer for this occurrence.

Has BRP come up with a fix for the mirror covers yet? Hit a pothole on my last ride and the mirror cover came off again and lost one of the clips. The other one almost came off to.

The response from my dealer

Hello Michael,
    BRP has not released a specific service bulletin for the mirrors, nor have we had any other customers with similar issues in the 18 months since you purchased your machine. Not sure why this has been a repeat issue on your bike only! I assume the cover that came off is toast from hitting the ground? Or do we just need to chase down the missing clips?

Thank you,

Traded in - 2016 F3T

Spyder Garage

Lamonsters has new updated clips for the mirror covers.
    2018 F3 Limited , Oxford Blue

Spyder Garage

Yeah iv seen people say they’ve replaced them with those and some have said they didn’t help. I want BRP to fix there problems, iv added plenty of upgrades but this is something we shouldn’t have to fix.
    Dealer got back in touch with me today and said they will take care of it, so at least there’s that. And iv installed the mirror locks from Lamonster to help with mirror shake. Hopefully more people will report the problems so BRP will fix them instead of putting out a crappy design year after year.

Traded in - 2016 F3T