Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default New fuel filter but now won't start.

Just replaced the fuel filter. Fuel pump is working properly. Turn on and off several times to cycle the fuel pump to prime system. But it will not turn over. Cranks just fine. Just can't get it to turn over. Possibly to much air in the lines? Any suggestions?

Spyder Garage

the fuel filter is in the right direction ?

Spyder Garage

Fuel filter for riker is non directional and in the gas tank. It is a pre filter before the fuel pump.

Spyder Garage

Default Try This....

For one, you can disconnect fuel line after filter and turn on to activate fuel pump and see if there is fuel flowing. Then try the TWO (throttle wide open cranking for a few seconds then starting normal. May take a few trys...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

I have tried your 1st recommendation and fuel does flow. I do not, however, know the amount of fuel pressure as I do not have the gauge. Regarding trying to start with throttle wide open, the riker does not permit this. If you press the starter button with the throttle wide open, it will not crank at all.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RykerUSA View Post
    I have tried your 1st recommendation and fuel does flow. I do not, however, know the amount of fuel pressure as I do not have the gauge. Regarding trying to start with throttle wide open, the riker does not permit this. If you press the starter button with the throttle wide open, it will not crank at all.
    Good to know
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

I would ask how many miles you have on your Ryker and what prompted you to feel it needed a fuel filter? Recommended service interval or other?
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

I have 11200 miles on my rally and I found that the bike was starting to hesitate at higher speeds when I rolled on the throttle as if being starved for fuel. Since the service schedule calls for Fuel filter change at 12000 miles, I thought I would go ahead and try that to see if it could be a clogged filter. After putting the filter on, I cannot get the bike started again. Could there be vapor lock in my fuel lines; and if so, how do you bleed that air from the lines. Or, my next thought is that possibly the fuel pump is going bad and is not creating enough pressure to get my fuel into the cylinders allowing me to restart. Thouhgts?

Spyder Garage

I have 11200 miles on my rally and I found that the bike was starting to hesitate at higher speeds when I rolled on the throttle as if being starved for fuel. Since the service schedule calls for Fuel filter change at 12000 miles, I thought I would go ahead and try that to see if it could be a clogged filter. After putting the filter on, I cannot get the bike started again. Could there be vapor lock in my fuel lines; and if so, how do you bleed that air from the lines. Or, my next thought is that possibly the fuel pump is going bad and is not creating enough pressure to get my fuel into the cylinders allowing me to restart. Thouhgts?
    I have not looked into this so I'm just talking off the top of my head here. But it sounds to me like it may be a fuel pressure issue. It is highly unlikely that your original fuel filter was clogged. Not saying it couldn't be. Just unlikely. And, since you are now having more severe issues (assuming they are fuel related), and that your fuel pump is pumping fuel. The only thing I can think of would be low pressure which may well have been the original issue.

It will be interesting to find out exactly what the issue turns out to be.

Spyder Garage

I think you're probly right. Low fuel pressure. Problem is, how do I fix that without getting a new fuel pump? I have heard they are back ordered till mid November.

Spyder Garage

I think you're probly right. Low fuel pressure. Problem is, how do I fix that without getting a new fuel pump? I have heard they are back ordered till mid November.
    I don't know that I would throw money at it just yet. Hopefully you can find out how to test for fuel pressure and at least verify that one way or the other. I'm assuming it is a single stage pressure boost process. Though again, I've not looked into it. If there is a secondary pressure boost which the in-tank fuel pump feeds. Or, if there is a pressure relief valve. It may be another component that is bad and not the fuel pump itself. It would be good to get beyond the guessing stage and see if you can get some parameters to track down the actual problem. I know you understand this or you wouldn't be asking for answers here.

Spyder Garage

I just pulled one of the spark plugs. It looked good, dry and good spark. So, I know it is not the electrical system. I know it is not the fuel filter and I know that the fuel pump is actually pumping. The only thing I don't know is the pressure of the pumping. So, I think I'm going have to give up in tow this baby in to the dealer to let them check it out. My hunch is the fuel pump is not producing enough pressure and I will need a new fuel pump which means I won't have a bike for 2 months. Life is no longer good.

Spyder Garage

I just pulled one of the spark plugs. It looked good, dry and good spark. So, I know it is not the electrical system. I know it is not the fuel filter and I know that the fuel pump is actually pumping. The only thing I don't know is the pressure of the pumping. So, I think I'm going have to give up in tow this baby in to the dealer to let them check it out. My hunch is the fuel pump is not producing enough pressure and I will need a new fuel pump which means I won't have a bike for 2 months. Life is no longer good.
    I hate to ask this, but are you sure you reassembled everything correctly? Always looking to eliminate the simple possibilities first.

And remember, there is always time to panic (or be bummed out) later. But I feel your potential pain. Good news is, it should be covered under warranty. It could also be something as simple as a blocked fuel line. The parts diagram is not much help. There are some suspicious players pictured. But no description. So it's hard to know what might do what.

Think positive! You might get lucky with a small issue causing a big problem with a quick and easy fix.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 09-23-2019 at 08:50 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You'll need to find the fuel pressure specs. Then find the port to test the pressure...If low, the fuel pump probably the problem...Many of these in tank fuel pumps are the same...Most have different hook ups...But many times you can just change out JUST THE PUMP and have a cheap aftermarket fix with a quality aftermarket pump...I think there were several members on here that had RT fuel pump problems and many used an aftermarket "just the pump" to fit their woes...Do a search and see what you can find...I have a new "aftermarket pump" out in the garage for that "just in case time"...Many riders on the ATV & Sea Doo forums also do this type of fix...I know nothing about the Rykers...And if needed I can get the name and number off the box tomorrow during the day...

Spyder Garage

I agree with the direction BajaRon is on. I would take apart whatever you did when replacing the filter. Closely look for anything that may have been disturbed. IE: a pinched wire, fuel line, loose terminal, etc. There's no reason the engine should go from running to not running simply by replacing the fuel filter. Something else got involved. Good luck in finding it. And, please let us know what you find..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

the nomimal fuel pressure is at 58 PSI.
    Check this.

Spyder Garage

Ordered the pressure gauge last evening. Should have Thursday night.

Spyder Garage

FWIW, low fuel pressure could be causing the original engine sagging under acceleration issue also.

Spyder Garage

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I bought my fuel pressure gauge kit from Harbor Freight, comes with several adapters...Just a cheap one...

The fuel pump I have in stock for my 2014 RT is a "Quantum HFP-370HD"

https://www.highflowfuel.com/i-23904...UaAg5eEALw_wcB

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by larryd View Post
    I bought my fuel pressure gauge kit from Harbor Freight, comes with several adapters...Just a cheap one...

The fuel pump I have in stock for my 2014 RT is a "Quantum HFP-370HD"

https://www.highflowfuel.com/i-23904...UaAg5eEALw_wcB
    Pretty inviting solution. Especially if the OEM pump is not available. Not to mention the pump listed in this link has a lifetime guarantee. And if the post saying the nominal required fuel pressure is 58 psi. This pump will deliver about twice that.

Spyder Garage

Is it a problem if the replacement pump puts out too much PSI?

Spyder Garage

Rykers are pretty new on the market, is yours still under warranty? If it is, save yourself the aggravation and take it, or tow it in. Why start buying tools you'll only use once and then sit in the tool box? What if it's not the fuel pump? All I'm saying is, some things are better left to the professionals. Just my 2 cents...

Spyder Garage

The reason is that I fear that the fuel pumps are on back order and will not be in available until mid November which means the fall riding season here in central Indiana. I don't wanna give up my fall riding time. Can one blame me?

Spyder Garage

Well, Problem identified and solved. It was, in fact, a bad fuel pump. Can-Am only offers a full fuel pump assembly and that assembly is on back order. I disassembled my assembly and extracted the fuel pump and replaced it with the attached fuel pump and it fit perfectly and meets the specifications of the bike at 58 pounds per square inch. Life is once again good and I did not have to wait till November to get a back ordered fuel pump assembly from Can-Am. Fuel pump costs about $80.
    Attached Images Attached Images