Thread: Omg

Spyder Garage

Default Omg

As George Strait says " I (we) saw God today " We went for a ride yesterday did one end of the Foothills Parkwy and ended up at HWY 129 so we took it to Robinsville , saw one kid that laid his bike down he looked ok. After our stop in Robinsville we took the Cherohala back home. Riding along we came to a left hand curve. lo and behold here is a Harley truly in our lane not just hugging the yellow but truly in our lane. Dont know if he was showing off or what, We hugged the gurad rail and said oh poop ( not really ) After pulling our hearts back up where they belong we pulled off and took a deep breath. We will no longer ride the parkways on the weekends. FYI
    Dave
    2013 RT Limited
    Lamonster FBB with larger gripper pegs
    Value Accessories dah mount
    Custom Dynamics High Mount brake light
    BRP passenger arm rests

Spyder Garage

So glad that ended well for you and the Harley rider. Here's hoping he learned to ride within his skill level after that close one.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

Default Yikes...!!!

Quite a ryde you had there.... There are some roads I will only ryde at certain hours. There are a crowd that are a hazard but they tend to get up late so early ryde is a safe bet.....Glad nothing happened to you both.....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

It would appear that you "got the message."

Very glad you got warnings and were not actually involved in a crash.

Very good advice about those roads with twisties where many people think they have to show their riding skills--regardless of whether or not they have any.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

https://youtu.be/7Fzb6oVF5m0

The Dragon (and for that matter all the curvy roads in that area) is full of idiots on the wrong side of the road. Glad it worked out for you. It's bad when you meet an 18 wheeler in a corner. Last time we were over there an idiot in a rag top Miata was playing Ricky Racer and almost got us.
    h0gr1der
    2018 RT Limited Blue/Chrome SE6 *Tri-Axis Bars*Adjustable Driver Backrest*175/55R15 Vredestein Front, 205/60R15 Vredestein Rear Tires*Baja Ron Front Spring Pre-Load Adjusters*Misty Mountain Sheepskin seat cover*Centramatic balancers *Garmin Zumo 595LM GPS*KOTT Grills*BajaRon swaybar*SpyderPops Alignment*Missing Belt guard*Magnetic Mirrors*Custom Rear Adjustable Shock*360° LED Headlights & Foglights*Progressive front fender turn signals
    States Visited on Less than 4 wheels.

Spyder Garage

The "Tree of Shame" at Deal's Gap is testimony of the riders who went beyond their skill level riding the "Tail of the Dragon." Too many unskilled riders and speed demons have taken the fun of out of riding this road. We only drive up from Robbinsville and have lunch when we visit the Gap and do not ride the dragon any more. We have been riding the Cherohala Skyway since it opened and it used to be a very pleasant road to travel as many riders did not know of this road and it was a very safe road to travel. Looks like riders who want to push their riding ability to the limit also frequent this great road. So glad you were not a statistic of this dummy riding above their skill level. We will be spending a couple weeks in October in this area and riding the mountain roads and will be on extra alert of these inconsiderate bikers. Thanks for your input to this forum.

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) Spyder_Cowgirl's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bobbarb4546 View Post
    The "Tree of Shame" at Deal's Gap is testimony of the riders who went beyond their skill level riding the "Tail of the Dragon."
    I hate to say this, but some of these "speed demons" are not riding above their skill level, they just don't have the sense to stay in their own lane. I witnessed this behavior, from an experienced rider (two up, no less) just this past weekend while riding the group ride to Cape Fair at Spyders in the Ozarks. I was behind this guy, testing out my new Elka front shocks (wow!) and staying well within my lane throughout the twisties of the Ozarks, for a full 90% of the left hand curves he was at least half (sometimes all) way into the left lane where oncoming traffic COULD have been. At the lunch stop, I actually asked that he stay in his own lane for safety … his response? "I only do it when I can see all the way around the curve" … ummm, NO, he could not in at least half the cases (unless he has x-ray vision). Bottom line, he was doing this intentionally as it was his habit from his "racing days." IMO he was just being lazy, and dangerous -- I just made sure he was behind me after lunch (for my own safety).

All the best ………… Ann
    __________________________________________________ _
    2016 RT Limited -- "Jubilee" (as in Cherries)
    Guardian Bell (gift from spyderowboy)
    ISCI Dual Flag Mount – Tall Poles
    Lamonster Bottle Holder and Spyder Cuff
    Spyderpops Missing Belt Guard
    Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Rear Run / Brake / Turn LEDs
    Spyderpops Mirror LEDs
    Custom Dynamics HMT Brake

Spyderpops Keep Out The Trash (KOTT) Grills
    Don't Eat Mud / mudflap
    __________________________________________________ __

Spyder Garage

Stayed in a cabin at the NC side of Cherohola, heard a siren that afternoon, then 1 the next day. Cabin owner said they hear them all the time. With any highly traveled road by car, truck, MC, whatever, a number of people always make poor decisions regarding speed, paying attention, ETC
    2015 Spyder RT Ltd- bUrp - only add the "U", 2010 Honda NT700V-red,2010 Honda NT700V-silver retired @201,111 miles, 1997 Honda PC800, 1996 Honda PC800, Honda CT500, Honda Shadow 500, 1978 Suzuki GS550, 1973 Suzuki TC125, other assorted smaller bikes, Suzuki TM400