Spyder Garage

Default General questions:

Good morning all. New potential owner here. I have obtained from a local dealer a sales booklet with general specifications but it doesn't list vehicle weight or indicate gasoline octane requirement or approximate MPG expectations. Would appreciate your insight on these. Thank you in advance.

greyhound

Spyder Garage

What model, what engine, what year? Go to the BRP manuals website and just download the Owners Manual for the model you are interested in. That is what I did before buying one. Read the owners manual before you buy. All the info you are looking for and more is there. They don't question if you own one or not just to download the manual.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

Hello Greyhound,
    on the Can Am On-Road website you can find all technical data (Download spec sheet). Except the fuel consumption you can find all data in the spec sheet. The average fuel consumption depends on your riding style. For the 1330ccm engine the range is between 23 and 39 mpg. My mpg is 27 for sporty riding.

Spyder Garage

The previous posters have given good advice.

RE: MPG...for most not a consideration. It will vary by your particular style of riding. Base for most 998's is 30ish. Base for most 1330's is high 30's.

RE: Octane....premium is recommended....BUT....everyone is all over the board with that. Just look up Octane in the search and you can read for hours.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

If the bike has a 1330 engine, then it has a 12:1 compression ratio - that's high and requires premium fuel. Weight is around 1,000 pounds, but do what advice you got above for exact numbers.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

Need help. Trying to list my spyder for sale. Keep getting error message " need a thread prefix " but not seeing a dtop down to select a prefix. Where is that located?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Vegasf3t View Post
    Need help. Trying to list my spyder for sale. Keep getting error message " need a thread prefix " but not seeing a dtop down to select a prefix. Where is that located?

Top left of the sale screen has a prefix box to drop down to choose. Its above the Title box when creating your thread.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RICZ View Post
    If the bike has a 1330 engine, then it has a 12:1 compression ratio - that's high and requires premium fuel. Weight is around 1,000 pounds, but do what advice you got above for exact numbers.
    Sorry but it doesn't …." REQUIRE " premium fuel …. been running my 14 RT with 45,000 + mi. and have used 99.9 % 87 octane …. I have had zero issues with the low octane ….. jmho …. Mike

Spyder Garage

Welcome, Greyhound! Other posters have all offered excellent advice to which I add don't worry about MPG for the first 3,000 miles as you'll be breaking in the engine. Fuel mileage is really a function of how much fun you intend to have with your Spyder. FWIW, over 62K+ miles I have averaged 36.8 mpg which covers every type of riding from barreling along interstates about 5 mph above speed limits for hours on end to having to crawl behind leaf peepers on the Blue Ridge Parkway and everything in between including having some hooligan fun.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

No luck. Might be problem with my phone and mobile app. I will try on my desktop. Thanks

Spyder Garage

As your question is posted under F3 - Sport and Cruiser Touring, I'm assuming you are asking in respect of F3 models, though not specifically stated as such. We ride a 2017 F3L, with the 1330 cc 'Triple' - pretty much stock equipment. We ryde 2-up about 80% of the time, and do mostly back country (secondary) roads, enjoying the scenery at moderate speeds. We're not pokey; just don't do burnouts. Love the challenges of quick trips through the twisties; do a lot of day trips - 150 to 300 miles looking for interesting restaurants. We carry a typical payload of roughly 360 lbs., and have always figured the bike's dry weight was about 950 lbs. We use only premium fuel, and over the past two years (15,000 miles), we have averaged 39-40 mpg. That seems to be close to the upper end that other owners have reported. Our mpg experience has been pretty steady, aside from when we pull a trailer; then, it can easily drop 15%. Poorer results also occur if we get on super highways or Interstate with increased speeds. Our results have been fairly stable whether riding in Ontario in the summer, Florida in the winter, or mid-way in between during fall trips in the WV, TN, NC hills (though those trips in the mountains are pretty much solo affairs). Best one-tank result I ever achieved was 43.5 mpg(US). YMMV.
    [SIGPIC]
    2017 F3 Ltd. Intense Red Pearl/Metallic Black topside
    2017 F3Limited , lowered brake pedal Intense Red Pearl w. Metallic Black topside

Very Active Member tofriendscreek's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I’ve never worried about fuel octane in any of the 3 Spyders I’ve owned, including my current 17 F3L. As said previously, mileage depends on a number of factors. I ryde overwhelmingly solo, in all kinds of conditions, all types of terrain, and all kinds of speed, although I normally ryde fast. I rarely check MPG, but when I have, it’s in the low to high 30’s. The best MPG I recall was 42.
    2022 Plasma Red, F3 Limited, Special Series

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Sorry but it doesn't …." REQUIRE " premium fuel …. been running my 14 RT with 45,000 + mi. and have used 99.9 % 87 octane …. I have had zero issues with the low octane ….. jmho …. Mike
    Your keeping your knock sensor busy!
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

I am another low octane person. Started using low octane a couple years ago (87). In AK, there was no ethanol added.

I notice no difference in operation. Also use it in my Vulcan 900 and the Subaru.

Now in AR, I continue to do the same. No difference in performance noted. They have 10% ethanol added here.

An extra bonus...40 cents a gallon cheaper for the lower grade in AK.

Just another opinion added to the pile.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I tend to follow manufacturers recommendations on fuel. BRP recommends premium 91 octane unleaded for my 19 F3, so I use that or 93 octane. I guess it's possible BRP and Big Oil are in cahoots to get me to spend more, but I doubt it, so there must be a reason BRP makes the recommendations they do. They state the minimum octane is 87, but with the cost of these machines, why skimp and go with the minimum. In my area premium 93 octane is .50 or less a gallon more. I average 5 gallons a fill up, so paying $2.50 or less a fill up isn't going to kill me.

Spyder Garage

Where does BRP state a minimum of 87 octane required? From my owners manual below, it states "recommended" fuel of at least 91 octane. I know they "recommend" 91, but can't find anything on 87 ? Also, you'd also think they'd state "required" for 91/above octane ?

Recommended Fuel
    Use premium unleaded gasoline with
    an AKI (RON+MON)/2 octane rating of
    91, or an RON octane rating of 95.
    NOTICE Never experiment with
    other fuels. Engine or fuel system
    damages may occur with the use of
    an inadequate fuel.
    NOTICE Do NOT use fuel from fuel
    pumps labeled E85.
    Use of fuel labeled E15 is prohibited by
    U.S. EPA Regulations.
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by troop View Post
    Where does BRP state a minimum of 87 octane required? From my owners manual below, it states "recommended" fuel of at least 91 octane. I know they "recommend" 91, but can't find anything on 97 ? Also, you'd also think they'd state "required" for 91/above octane ?

Recommended Fuel
    Use premium unleaded gasoline with
    an AKI (RON+MON)/2 octane rating of
    91, or an RON octane rating of 95.
    NOTICE Never experiment with
    other fuels. Engine or fuel system
    damages may occur with the use of
    an inadequate fuel.
    NOTICE Do NOT use fuel from fuel
    pumps labeled E85.
    Use of fuel labeled E15 is prohibited by
    U.S. EPA Regulations.

Page 178 - Specifications - Fuel System Table - Minimum Octane: 87 Pump Posted AKI (RON+MON)/2, 92 RON.

Spyder Garage

I'll be danged .. Didn't look that far down. Huh ....

FUEL SYSTEM
    Fuel delivery Type
    Multi-point Electronic Fuel Injection (EFI)
    with ETC (Electronic Throttle Control)
    Single throttle body (54 mm) with an actuator
    Fuel pump Type Electrical module in fuel tank
    Idle speed 900 RPM
    Electronically controlled, not adjustable
    Type Premium unleaded gasoline
    87 Pump Posted AKI (RON+MON)/2 Minimum octane
    92 RON
    91 Pump Posted AKI (RON+MON)/2
    Fuel - Refer to
    FUEL REQUIREMENTS
    Recommended octane
    95 RON
    Fuel tank capacity 27 L (7.1 U.S. gal.)
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

[quote=troop;1475042]i'll be danged .. Didn't look that far down. Huh ....

Fuel system
    fuel delivery type
    multi-point electronic fuel injection (efi)
    with etc (electronic throttle control)
    single throttle body (54 mm) with an actuator
    fuel pump type electrical module in fuel tank
    idle speed 900 rpm
    electronically controlled, not adjustable
    type premium unleaded gasoline
    87 pump posted aki (ron+mon)/2 minimum octane
    92 ron
    91 pump posted aki (ron+mon)/2
    fuel - refer to
    fuel requirements
    recommended octane
    95 ron
    fuel tank capacity 27 l (7.1 u.s. Gal.)[/quote

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bcraig View Post
    I tend to follow manufacturers recommendations on fuel. BRP recommends premium 91 octane unleaded for my 19 F3, so I use that or 93 octane. I guess it's possible BRP and Big Oil are in cahoots to get me to spend more, but I doubt it, so there must be a reason BRP makes the recommendations they do. They state the minimum octane is 87, but with the cost of these machines, why skimp and go with the minimum. In my area premium 93 octane is .50 or less a gallon more. I average 5 gallons a fill up, so paying $2.50 or less a fill up isn't going to kill me.

Couldn't agree more! I too have a '19 F3 LTD. Traded in a '16 RT-S. Really happy I did!
    Bill W

2019 F3 LTD