Spyder Garage

Default 2019 RTL wiring harness

I just traded for a 2019 RTL. I kept the hitch but am looking at the wiring harness. Trailers Etc has a harness for the18 and newer for $100. This is half price of anything else I have found. Does anyone have any experience with this brand or any suggestions?

Spyder Garage

Our Spyders require an isolating harness - keep the trailer separate from the Spyder. Nothing new, my bikes for the last 16 years had the same requirement. With the cost of the Spyder, worrying about $100 may not be worth it.
    08 RS/SM5 (Hers) (sold)
    15 RT-S (Mine)
    2015 RT-S , Metallic Black

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jnt View Post
    Our Spyders require an isolating harness - keep the trailer separate from the Spyder. Nothing new, my bikes for the last 16 years had the same requirement. With the cost of the Spyder, worrying about $100 may not be worth it.
    Well actually they don't " REQUIRE " an isolating harness, I have a 2014 RT and wired it myself …. 45,000 + miles and no issues...… jmho …. Mike

Spyder Garage

I just looked at what they offer and it does come with an isolating harness, and it is plug and play, so it should work fine. If you are using a BRP trailer you will need to make, or purchase a flat four to square four plug adapter.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I just installed a Bump Skid from Spyderpops on my 2018 RTL and they tell me the 2019's have different wiring than the earlier models. Maybe check with them?
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

If you are talking about the one in the picture I attached. It will be fine. It is power isolated and converts 5 wire Spyder system to a flat 4 plug.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

I have installed the harness we discussed above. I read somewhere that you could just plug the 4 flat on the Spyder into the 5 flat on the trailer. Does anyone know if this is possible or do I just need to cut the 5 flat off and install a 4 like I did on my old trailer? Thanks

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by beef56 View Post
    I have installed the harness we discussed above. I read somewhere that you could just plug the 4 flat on the Spyder into the 5 flat on the trailer. Does anyone know if this is possible or do I just need to cut the 5 flat off and install a 4 like I did on my old trailer? Thanks
    Well that's not true unless your trailer is wired really strangely. Since your trailer has a 5 wire plug on it. It likely has amber turn signal lights. If so your options are.

1. Rewire your trailer. Abandon the amber turn signals and rewire the brake lights to separate left and right. Install 4 pin plug.

2. Leave trailer alone and make a converter adapter. Buy a 4 pin plug to fit the Spyder. A five pin plug to fit the trailer. A 3 to 2 converter module. Wire them together.

2018 F3 LIMITED