Thread: spyder RT vs F3

Spyder Garage

Default spyder RT vs F3

Hello everyone!!!

I am new to the forum as well as spyder world (still haven't bought it yet). I am a HD guy having HD electra glide ultra. I love my bike; however, my better half is not very comfy at the back of the big HD, specially during sharp turns, stops and starts. So, having said that i am researching spyder options (first of all i like how it looks, it also more stable than bike; finally, it has some additional options to provide additional comfort to rider and/or passenger).

I am pretty sure the question I am about to ask was answered so many times (but i wasn't able to find the good straignt answer); so, please help me to understand:

what is the main difference between spyder f3 and spyder rt?

thanks

SLava

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Each has different models ie F3S, F3T and F3L then you have RT RTS and RTL. You should go the your local dealer and check them out. Each will sit different and feel different to each person and as far as options there are many. The RTL to me is top shelf with the others very close. The new 2020 look a little different then last year as far as the RT models go. go to BRP web site and have a look. Good luck shopping. https://can-am.brp.com/on-road/model...spyder-rt.html
    Last edited by CopperSpyder; 09-19-2019 at 10:57 AM.
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

Bear in mind that the different models are there to better address the different preferences & ryding styles that seem to predominate BRP's Spyder Buyers. That said, the RT's are generally more of a 'comfy tourer', especially for the pillion passenger, but both Ryder & Pillion will tend to sit up & on them more so than on an F3, which has the ryder sitting down a tad lower & more IN rather than on the byke, resulting in more of a 'feet forward giving birth' ryding position. Some F3 Pillions don't like the smaller rear perch, even with optional arm &/or back-rests, but the F3-T's & F3-L's go a long way towards alleviating that particular concern.

Soo, it really comes back to 'What do you want the Spyder FOR, and what are YOUR preferences for ryding & pillion positions & style?' Anything we can say here about those will be biased by our own needs & wants, and they won't necessarily match up with your needs & wants - so you & your better half really should take them both for a ryde before committing to either!

Good Luck, & welcome to the Miles of Smiles Spyder (or Ryker!) Ryding will bring!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Other then that I would say the F3 sits lower with a feet forward more sport type. The RT is more tour type sit higher feet straight down more storage room.
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

Others have said...

RT is a plush tourer. You sit ON the bike.

F3 is a cruiser that can be made into a tourer. You sit IN the bike.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

For me, it depends on the co-pilot. I wanted the F3, but she found the RT rear seat to be way more comfortable. Even against the F3 with the trunk. So, I have an RTS. I'm on the fence about the 2020 models - I love the way they look, but the trunk looks like the F3 trunk, and with that backrest might not work for her. Have to wait till they get into the showroom to have a test sit.
    2014 RT-S Orange - LED headlights/driving lights, LED under mirror turns, LED brake/run lights along trunk and saddlebags, LED third brake light, LED turn bulb replacements, Magic Mirrors, Voltmeter, Oil PSI gauge, heated gear connection, BRP backrest, dash Mount USB plug, Lamonster belt tensioner, Baja Ron sway bar, NBV highway pegs, BRP arm rests M2 suspension.
    2014 RT-S , Orange

Spyder Garage

Thanks everyone for the inputs. I am planning to wait for the motorcycle show event at the winter and get good deal on the show. I have already done this with my Yamaha bike in the past. Meanwhile will go to local dealer with my wife and take RT and F3 for the test ride; it will show which one is more suitable to our requirements.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by slava View Post
    Thanks everyone for the inputs. I am planning to wait for the motorcycle show event at the winter and get good deal on the show. I have already done this with my Yamaha bike in the past. Meanwhile will go to local dealer with my wife and take RT and F3 for the test ride; it will show which one is more suitable to our requirements.
    The best advise I could give you is ride one, or all of them if you can. Some places, you can rent one for a day and take a good ride, you'll need at least 1000 miles before you will even get comfortable behind the wheel of the three wheel machine. They all sit and fell different, but they all have there own fun factor!!! Good luck, have fun!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

I have both an RT and an F3L. My wife will ride the F3L occasionally. The RT sits higher with feet down kind of like a Goldwing where as the F3 sits lower with feet forward like your Harley. With you being a Harley rider you will probably like the feel of the F3. The seat on the RT is larger than the F3 and the windshield is much better (and electric) on the RT. You should take a good look at the new 2020 RT ( I am going to). It looks to be a combination of both.
    Wayne Bishop

2015 RT-S Special Series
    2017 F3 Limited

Spyder Garage

Default Test ryde is needed....

Good info above and you now know some of the differences. The drive train is the same on both but the cosmetics, storage, seating is the big difference. Will say the best would be for both of you to take a test ryde on them and see which better suits your ryding comfort. Welcome to the forum and hope your on the road soon with the significant other feeling safe and secure....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Welcome to the best community EVEH. You really do need to test drive the two. I originally had an '08 RSS. When the RTs came out I swore that's what I'd get....just didn't like the looks of the F3 at the time. But then I test drove the two. The RTs are more comfy, plush, smooth, etc. but it turns out I didn't like it. I wasn't getting the air even with the shorter windshield. I ended up getting a '17 F3L and absolutely love it. It does sit lower than the RTs but it's still very comfortable and I get the air and feel the turns more so than I did with the RTs I tried. The RTs are great for cruising but turns out this old lady ain't ready for all that comfort after all! Good luck on your search. Regardless which model you get you and your spouse will experience wonderful adventures.

Spyder Garage

I just changed from man years on a BMW 1200 RT to an RTL. The ride is totally different, especially 2 up. Make sure you both take some serious test rides before purchasing. If you ride in an area with a lot to twisties make sure that you do some serious riding on those types of roads. Make sure your significant other can see over you, or around you. Good Luck
    -2018 RT Ltd. , cchampagne

Spyder Garage

Welcome, and as so many others have said, test ride, test ride, test ride -- both models. That is the only YOU will know which one is best for YOU. Remember, coming from two wheels to the Y factor there are some things that may make you feel, "Holy cow, this thing is a squirrely POS"! You're going to have to get some miles on your bones with three wheels to learn the little differences.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S