Thread: 662 vs Lumina?

Spyder Garage

Default 662 vs Lumina?

My wife and I might start looking at a trailer for the Rt limited. What are the advantages/ disadvantages of each type? ( BRP 622 vs the Lumina XL )

Lumina looks thinner but taller (crosswind problems?) and storage on top and cooler storage on front is a plus. Aluminum will weather more than fiberglass. I will get the black smooth sides not diamond plated on sides. Kinks then leaks. Lumina is 1/2 price

BRP622 looks wider, lower, more aerodynamic. Probably better seals. No top and cooler storage but hinges look better. Fiberglass easy to clean. Looks like more storage and easier access. Looks complete

What do you have or use and what other advantages and disadvantages can you give me. Both are good products just different designs. Starting my research for next spring early summer order.

Thanks

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Wmoater View Post
    My wife and I might start looking at a trailer for the Rt limited. What are the advantages/ disadvantages of each type? ( BRP 662 vs the Lumina XL )

Lumina looks thinner but taller (crosswind problems?) and storage on top and cooler storage on front is a plus. Aluminum will weather more than fiberglass. I will get the black smooth sides not diamond plated on sides. Kinks then leaks. Lumina is 1/2 price

BRP662 looks wider, lower, more aerodynamic. Probably better seals. No top and cooler storage but hinges look better. Fiberglass easy to clean. Looks like more storage and easier access. Looks complete

What do you have or use and what other advantages and disadvantages can you give me. Both are good products just different designs. Starting my research for next spring early summer order.

Thanks
    Do you mean RT-622? They don't make them any longer. I think the BRP trailers probably have a better suspension and a lower center of gravity, but are heavier than the Aluma.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

I didn’t realize that. Lets say the freedom them instead of the 622.

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

The RT-622 is an awesome trailer, I have had mine since 2010 and it has over 200,000 miles on it. If you can find a used one go for it.

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default trailers

The Lumina can carry more stuff ( better shape ) and more total weight than any BRP trailer ….. remebr you should only tow a Max of 400lbs ….. that includes the weight of the trailer and what's in it..... check the specs listed for both …. plus 1/2 the cost is a no-brainer as far as I'm concerned ….. if the difference in gas mileage amounts to more than .05 % I'd be surprised ...… it would take a hugh amount of crosswind to move it ….good luck …. Mike

Spyder Garage

I bought an Aluma, black, I like the rack on top and cooler rack also.
    The big plus for me, was it had a couple almost invisible hail dings, and so
    I scored it for $1000. Oh, very secure lock, built in tongue stand, and very bright LED lighting package.
    Flatlander, Navy Veteran, Widower
    Loved my 2014 RTS SE6 Pearl white
    but have a new love now,
    my 2017 RTS SE6 Champagne metallic (Champ)

Spyder Garage

There are many differences between the Alumina trailer and the RT-622

Pros for the RT-622
    1- Better built chassis and suspension.
    2- Better at tracking behind a Spyder.
    3- Better fuel mileage because of its lower profile.
    4- Much better at securing your cargo and keeping it dry.
    5- Less rattle noise from the trailer.
    6- Looks better behind a Spyder than a Aluminum Box.
    7- They are in high demand and hold their value if properly maintained.

Cons for the RT-622 Trailer
    1- Unless you find a good deal on one the price will be higher.
    2- Dings and scratches show up easier.

I will try to find a post i did on the difference between the RT-622 Trailer and the Freedom Trailer and post it in this thread.

Not trying to put the Alumina trailer down, i have had one, i have also had 2 Freedom Trailers and 3 RT-622 trailers (people keep offering me a lot of money for my RT-622 trailers that is why i have had three).
    I currently own a 2013 RT-622 Trailer in Black Currant that is beautiful but would consider some sort of trade for a pearl white one.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Link to comparison of RT-622 and the Freedom Trailer

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...reedom+Trailer

This is an older post and i no longer have either of these trailers, i have a different RT-622.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    The RT-622 is an awesome trailer, I have had mine since 2010 and it has over 200,000 miles on it. If you can find a used one go for it.
    a good used one should be somewhere around $2500 - $3000 these days based on what I've seen.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzr Joe View Post
    There are many differences between the Alumina trailer and the RT-622

Pros for the RT-622
    1- Better built chassis and suspension.
    2- Better at tracking behind a Spyder.
    3- Better fuel mileage because of its lower profile.
    4- Much better at securing your cargo and keeping it dry.
    5- Less rattle noise from the trailer.
    6- Looks better behind a Spyder than a Aluminum Box.
    7- Tjey are in high demand and hold their value if properly maintained.

Cons for the RT-622 Trailer
    1- Unless you find a good deal on one the price will be higher.
    2- Dings and scratches show up easier.

I will try to find a post i did on the difference between the RT-622 Trailer and the Freedom Trailer and post it in this thread.

Not trying to put the Alumina trailer down, i have had one, i have also had 2 Freedom Trailers and 3 RT-622 trailers (people keep offering me a lot of money for my RT-622 trailers that is why i have had three).
    I currently own a 2013 RT-622 Trailer in Black Currant that is beautiful but would consider some sort of trade for a pearl white one.

Cruzr Joe
    I think CanamJHB has a pearl white he is selling with his bike...
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

You won't be disappointed in either choice. Both will serve you well. I considered the Alumina but went with the Freedom Trailer. Vanity can be expensive.

20190523_131332_HDR.jpg
    2018 F3 Limited , Black on black