Spyder Garage

Default Oil extractor???

Just watched a video of someone using a vacuum oil extractor on a spyder RT. I’ve used one on my car and have a lot of success with it. Has anyone else tried this?? What were your results if so??

Disclaimer...of course you’d still have to pull the magnet plug and filter of course. I’m more or less asking to avoid the dripping into that pesky plastic pan near the main drain plug...you know where we all shove rags up in there to prevent the spillage

Thanks

Spyder Garage

An extractor will remove the oil in the oil tank. I can't speak for the V-twins but on the 1330 ACE engine one of the reasons you have to check the oil level within a minute of shutting off the engine is because after a minute some oil begins to drain back into the crankcase from the oil tank. You can't get the siphon tube from the extractor into the crank case so you have no idea how much oil you are leaving in the engine. IMO, a pee poor way to change oil.

FWIW, when changing the oil on my Spyder I always stuff some paper towel up into the void where the crankcase plug is and push it rearward a bit to prevent oil from getting onto the plastic pan and I've never had a problem.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

The extractor is another tool that can assist around the garage to help with oil changes, I use one to start removing oil while I get under and start pulling the 2 plugs on my 1330 engine. It makes it easier to drain the other half of the dirty oil into a smaller pan slid under the bike.

I also use it to suck out the little left in the corner of the filter housing, and use it for my small engines (lawnmower, pressure washer, etc).
    NOTE: It will only remove 3 qts max from the dipstick tube on the 1330 Spyders.

It can also extract brake fluid, coolant, oil overfill, if the need arises. While not a replacement for the normal oil change on my Spyder, it is handy for what I use it for.
    07 Shadows, Aero, Spirit gone but not forgotten
    03 Harley Sportster, 07 RK moved on
    11 RT- 76,000 mi, 15 RT-S- 44,000 mi, traded for current 15 base RT and 16 F3T
    2015 RT , OEM Black Gloss

Spyder Garage

Lightbulb enlarging holes

Concerning the oily mess --------

I used a Dremel tool to enlarge the hole in the plastic where the drain holes are ( right after the first messy oil change). Makes the hole process easier. ( ok, ok bad pun)

Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lew L View Post
    Concerning the oily mess --------

I used a Dremel tool to enlarge the hole in the plastic where the drain holes are ( right after the first messy oil change). Makes the hole process easier. ( ok, ok bad pun)

Lew L
    Yeah I thought about doing this as well...I’m hoping the 2020 model has addressed this issue.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    An extractor will remove the oil in the oil tank. I can't speak for the V-twins but on the 1330 ACE engine one of the reasons you have to check the oil level within a minute of shutting off the engine is because after a minute some oil begins to drain back into the crankcase from the oil tank. You can't get the siphon tube from the extractor into the crank case so you have no idea how much oil you are leaving in the engine. IMO, a pee poor way to change oil.

FWIW, when changing the oil on my Spyder I always stuff some paper towel up into the void where the crankcase plug is and push it rearward a bit to prevent oil from getting onto the plastic pan and I've never had a problem.
    I had a feeling there would be a catch to using this way. Thanks for pointing out the crankcase bit. I suppose I will plan for the more traditional way, when it’s time for service.

Spyder Garage

I got a a hand vacuum pump that can be connected to either a pint jar or a half gallon jug to be used for easily pulling some oil out of an over filled engine or bleeding brakes. It can be used to pull just about any kind of liquid out of anything, but I don't use it for oil changes.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Gwolf View Post
    I got a a hand vacuum pump that can be connected to either a pint jar or a half gallon jug to be used for easily pulling some oil out of an over filled engine or bleeding brakes. It can be used to pull just about any kind of liquid out of anything, but I don't use it for oil changes.
    I had to use one of those when my Spyder was overfilled at the 28K dealer service. They are handy, but then again I was removing oil only from the oil tank and since I had provided the oil I had a very good idea of how much I had to remove better than 1/2 qt.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderFlyer76 View Post
    Just watched a video of someone using a vacuum oil extractor on a spyder RT. I’ve used one on my car and have a lot of success with it. Has anyone else tried this?? What were your results if so??
    Just changed my oil yesterday. I use a MityVac 7400, almost a 2 gal capacity I think. I use the medium size hose, insert it into the dipstick tube all the way, give the MityVac about 6 or 7 pumps and it sucks out about 4 quarts in less than 5 minutes. Then I remove both drain plugs and the remaining oil drains into a smaller drain pan with much less hot oil to contend with. Wouldn't do it any other way.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2019 F3 Limited
    2019 F3 Limited , Oxford Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by LifeLongRider View Post
    Just changed my oil yesterday. I use a MityVac 7400, almost a 2 gal capacity I think. I use the medium size hose, insert it into the dipstick tube all the way, give the MityVac about 6 or 7 pumps and it sucks out about 4 quarts in less than 5 minutes. Then I remove both drain plugs and the remaining oil drains into a smaller drain pan with much less hot oil to contend with. Wouldn't do it any other way.
    Thank you...this sounds very similar to the video I watched...I might have to give this a shot just to see if it works or not...is it hard to get the oil out of the extractor for recycling??

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderFlyer76 View Post
    Thank you...this sounds very similar to the video I watched...I might have to give this a shot just to see if it works or not...is it hard to get the oil out of the extractor for recycling??
    Nope, easy-peezy. The MityVac has a built-in pour spout at the top making it real easy to dump into your used oil container.
    2019 F3 Limited
    2019 F3 Limited , Oxford Blue

Spyder Garage

check out https://youtu.be/eJK92UFEIu4 and save some bucks
    Eckhard

Spyder RT Ltd, 2011
    2011 RT Ltd. , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Eckhard View Post
    check out https://youtu.be/eJK92UFEIu4 and save some bucks
    Have you used this method on your spyder? If you did, what did you drain the oil into?
    Bill W

2019 F3 LTD

Spyder Garage

Been using a MityVac 7201 Fluid Evacuator Plus since 2010 to change the oil on my 2010 RT than the 2014 RT. Plus I change oil for other owners. It will remove about 70% of the engine oil (V-Twin or 1330). By removing about 70% of the oil it takes the head pressure off the two drain plugs. The key advantage of the 7201 is it sucks the oil out of the engine and the you can use it to suck the oil out of the pan you drained the rest of the oil into. I use 1 gallon jug of oil and a quart jug. Then on the 7201 I change the valve body on the side of the unit to the pressure position and pressurize the tank. The tank hose is inserted into the gallon jug and the oil is transferred to the gallon jug and the remander is transfered to the quart jug. The Model 7201 is pricey but the ease handling the used oil is worth it.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Doc - Riverside View Post
    Been using a MityVac 7201 Fluid Evacuator Plus since 2010 to change the oil on my 2010 RT than the 2014 RT. Plus I change oil for other owners. It will remove about 70% of the engine oil (V-Twin or 1330). By removing about 70% of the oil it takes the head pressure off the two drain plugs. The key advantage of the 7201 is it sucks the oil out of the engine and the you can use it to suck the oil out of the pan you drained the rest of the oil into. I use 1 gallon jug of oil and a quart jug. Then on the 7201 I change the valve body on the side of the unit to the pressure position and pressurize the tank. The tank hose is inserted into the gallon jug and the oil is transferred to the gallon jug and the remander is transfered to the quart jug. The Model 7201 is pricey but the ease handling the used oil is worth it.
    It does appear that the model you point out does make it easier to dispose of the used oil. Which to be honest would make it a little easier if I choose to use this method...I would think that removing the 70% of oil is enough to give your above method a shot. Thanks for the input