Spyder Garage

Default First Oil Change and Results.....

Changed Gracie's oil this morning at 2975 miles. jacked her up and put her on ramps. Took me about 2 hours taking my time. Only skinned 3 knuckles.
    All & all not a bad job for any home mechanic to tackle. I was really surprised by the amount of filings/metal shavings the magnetic plug drew. I attached a picture and was hoping someone would chime in and let me know this is normal. The filter itself only had a few filings that I could see. No chunks or long strips. Thank you for your responses.
    IMG_3866.jpg
    GLIDE-ON>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"Blue Belle" 2021 RTL Chrome in Petrol Blue
    2021 RTL Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

The dealer did my 3K oil change and the technician said everything was normal so I have no comparison to your photo. The important point is what the magnet looks like after you next change and how frequently you change it. FWIW, I run my Spyder 9,300 between changes, use Amsoil Metric fully synthetic 10W/40 and the cSt 100C viscosity runs 13.8 - 13.9 which translates to still in the 40 weight range. Both my crankcase and clutch cover plug magnets routinely have nothing but microscopic grit on them.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Like said, no worries unless your next one looks the same! First oil change you may see that going on. Rock on!!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Anybody change their oil before the first 3000 miles?? I heard about the first 600, but not sure the stealership did it. Bought it used as a demo with 660 0n it...…..

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spyderman2018 View Post
    Anybody change their oil before the first 3000 miles?? I heard about the first 600, but not sure the stealership did it. Bought it used as a demo with 660 0n it...…..
    The 600 mile change is for the twins. Not sure what you have as you did not list it. If yours is the triple then 3000 miles is the first change.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

For my 2014 new RT oil change w/ filter I did it immed. after buying it in Ill. and driving it home to Vermont ( 1350 miles ) …. I have always found the first Oil change in any vehicle Always had the most amount of debris than subsequent ones ….. I never had that much debris in any veh. I ever owned ….. I would be quite concerned if they continue to look like that ……. good luck …. Mike

Spyder Garage

When I did my 3000 miles oil and filter change on my F3 Limited I had a lot less metal shavings on my magnet than yours. I would be somewhat concerned I think. I would think the next oil change will tell the story though.

2017 F3 Limited in Intense Red Pearl

2008 Triumph Rocket (SOLD)

2002 Honda VTX 1800 C ( SOLD)

2014 Triumph Thunderbird Commander

Spyder Garage

I would not be too concerned with that on an initial oil change. We have seen worse. Now if the next one looks as bad....then you may have issues.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame