Spyder Garage

Default Car Tire missing up the ECM Can AM Spyder

Hello Spyder Lovers

I recently bought a car tire to put on my 2012 Can Am Spyder RT, I called the dealer and they refused to put on the tire, stating that it miss up the ECM and the throttle body. That the speed odometer will be off by 10 to 15%. Does anyone run a Kuhmo car tire size 225/50/R15 on there spyders do you experience any issues? Called discount tire they will mount and balance the tire for $25.00. Dealer want $170 tire then another $133 to mount the tire almost $350.00 for one tire change. Has anyone changed there own tire, it does not look that difficult. Please let me know ASAP, need to get it changed this week. Thanks for the help.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Knipper View Post
    Hello Spyder Lovers

I recently bought a car tire to put on my 2012 Can Am Spyder RT, I called the dealer and they refused to put on the tire, stating that it miss up the ECM and the throttle body. That the speed odometer will be off by 10 to 15%. Does anyone run a Kuhmo car tire size 225/50/R15 on there spyders do you experience any issues? Called discount tire they will mount and balance the tire for $25.00. Dealer want $170 tire then another $133 to mount the tire almost $350.00 for one tire change. Has anyone changed there own tire, it does not look that difficult. Please let me know ASAP, need to get it changed this week. Thanks for the help.
    I assume you are talking about the rear tire. If so, the standard size is 225/50R15. Any tire of that size that you put on will make everything work the same way as the OEM tire. ECM, speedometer, etc. The rolling radius will be virtually the same. Your dealer is trying to rip you off (unheard of???). BTW, mounting the rear tire is a little more complicated then a car tire. Have to check the belt tightness, and a few other things. Go to a motorcycle shop.

Spyder Garage

Default Yikes!!

Run away from that dealer... Have the kuhmo tire installed and enjoy your ryde. Many here are on that tire with no issues...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    Run away from that dealer... Have the kuhmo tire installed and enjoy your ryde. Many here are on that tire with no issues...
    …… although the Kumho is not on my list of really good tires …. it will fit without any issues and serve you well ….. many folks on this Forum have reported that at about it's half life 12-15,000 miles it begins to lose it's wet road traction ….. Also on a Spyder using a PSI of 17-18 lbs will give you the best performance ….. good luck …. Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    …… although the Kumho is not on my list of really good tires …. it will fit without any issues and serve you well ….. many folks on this Forum have reported that at about it's half life 12-15,000 miles it begins to lose it's wet road traction ….. Also on a Spyder using a PSI of 17-18 lbs will give you the best performance ….. good luck …. Mike
    Mike, are you saying 17-18 pounds in the rear tire? That is a little low isn't it?

I traded my 2014 RT for a 2017 Mr. White RT-S. I am George Lewis. I live two miles from Boerne, TX. I am 89, retired USAF and Sony Corp. I also have a GW MotorTrike. My email: scoot62@aol.com

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA
    If you have not been to Luckenbach, your journey is not complete.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. White View Post
    Mike, are you saying 17-18 pounds in the rear tire? That is a little low isn't it?
    Yep 17-18 psi in the rear, for any auto tire on any Spyder … ( this does NOT apply to Kenda's or Arachnids ) .... I run 15-16 for auto tire in front …… there are many reasons why this works best …..Myself and Peter Aawen have listed the reasons many, many times...… none of those reasons rely on seat of the pants feel ( other than it will provide a more comfortable ride ) …… Mike

Spyder Garage

Hello Spyder Lovers

I just had THAT Kumho put on by my dealer for $123.00. I also had my local tire shop suck the air out and fill it with 18 psi of Nitrogen for $5.00. I haven't put many miles on it yet but I noticed right away that it corners harder(better) than the Kenda. I was going to change it out myself but I couldn't to the bolts by the disk to remove the trailer hitch. Dealership wouldn't let me watch how they did it. You might want to ride your Spyder to Tulsa to get that tire changed.
    2015 RTS SE6 Special Series Red/Black w/Magnesium front fenders(bought in Nov. 2018 w/9,400 miles)
    Dynojet Power Commander V, Power Commander POD-300 Display, PCV Map Switch, Pedal Commander (WOW)
    Passenger Arm Rests, Windshield Air Wing
    Baja Ron's Sway Bar & Spring Adjusters
    Air Scoops, LaMonster's Hiway Pegs
    Magnetic Mirror Mounts, Air Innovations Seat Cushion
    Red Chrome pin striping on Black hood
    Federal Formoza AZ01 front tires (they're GREAT)
    Kumho Ecsta AST KU25 All-Season Tire - 225/50R15 91H
    LED bars above radiator inlets
    LED brake/running/turn signals on license plate frame
    Tag-Along trailer
    LED headlights LED fog lights (WOW)
    2" x 2" Road Lights inside front fenders
    7' x 10' Cargo trailer
    Garmin 396 LM GPS
    RLS Cat-delete resonator with China Akropovic muffler
    New Banshee AGM
    M3 TPMS on front tires
    Remote Control for Heated Jacket and Heated Riding Pants
    Analog Clock and Analog Volt Meter
    Loose Nut Behind Handlebars
    2015 RT-S Special Series , Stock Spark Plugs Brake Pedal Extension Cherry Red/Black

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Revalden View Post
    I just had THAT Kumho put on by my dealer for $123.00. I also had my local tire shop suck the air out and fill it with 18 psi of Nitrogen for $5.00. I haven't put many miles on it yet but I noticed right away that it corners harder(better) than the Kenda. I was going to change it out myself but I couldn't to the bolts by the disk to remove the trailer hitch. Dealership wouldn't let me watch how they did it. You might want to ride your Spyder to Tulsa to get that tire changed.
    You don’t remove the bolts on the trailer hitch. You need 2 -19 mm wrenches and you remove the trailer axle, then remove the hitch with a rubber mallet

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Hello Spyder Lovers

Wow! Another ....

bs-meter1.gif

It's one thing to refuse to mount a tire. There are reasonable, though thinly so, reasons that they might take this policy. But messing up the ECM with the identical, OEM tire dimensions? Really?
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Hmm, my neighbor has a older small car he drives to work and it is having throttle body issues. I will tell him to check the tires.
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Revalden View Post
    It saddens me to see how poorly dealerships treat their customers. It's partly our fault, because we don't learn our machines better. But that shouldn't matter if your dealer has integrity.

This is a true story about my dealer, and why I lost all respect for them. I wanted the ISCI handbrake kit. Parts cost about $1300-$1400. Installation isn't that tough, probably about 4 hours to anyone who can tell one end of a wrench from the other. Check out the instructions here; http://www.industrialspecialty.com/h...structions.pdf

The dealer quoted me $2700 to install, charging 12 hours installation because it was a complex tie-in, and bleeding process. The ISCI doesn't tie in to the Spyder brake hydraulics in any manner, uses a slave cylinder to activate the brake pedal.

When you catch a dealer in such an egregious fallacy, run, don't walk away. Also, spread the word. Maybe when the losses catch up they'll change their tune.
    h0gr1der
    2018 RT Limited Blue/Chrome SE6 *Tri-Axis Bars*Adjustable Driver Backrest*175/55R15 Vredestein Front, 205/60R15 Vredestein Rear Tires*Baja Ron Front Spring Pre-Load Adjusters*Misty Mountain Sheepskin seat cover*Centramatic balancers *Garmin Zumo 595LM GPS*KOTT Grills*BajaRon swaybar*SpyderPops Alignment*Missing Belt guard*Magnetic Mirrors*Custom Rear Adjustable Shock*360° LED Headlights & Foglights*Progressive front fender turn signals
    States Visited on Less than 4 wheels.

Spyder Garage

the local dealer here [knoxville tn area] had 3 spyders on the floor when i looked in august, they didn't know much about them either, i don't think they care if you buy one there or not, or get one worked on there or not, they had a slew of bmw bikes, and can am 4 wheelers, several other brands, spyder is probably less than 1% of their business so they just don't care about them, i bought a victory cross roads in 2011, great bike but the dealer situation was the same, it really hurt them, now the brand is gone, when will companies ever learn to build a brand like harley did, not just sell a bike.
    2015 rs

Spyder Garage

Thanks, This post made me laugh out loud! That’s funny stuff!
    2020 RT Limited

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by h0gr1der View Post
    It saddens me to see how poorly dealerships treat their customers. It's partly our fault, because we don't learn our machines better. But that shouldn't matter if your dealer has integrity.

This is a true story about my dealer, and why I lost all respect for them. I wanted the ISCI handbrake kit. Parts cost about $1300-$1400. Installation isn't that tough, probably about 4 hours to anyone who can tell one end of a wrench from the other. Check out the instructions here; http://www.industrialspecialty.com/h...structions.pdf

The dealer quoted me $2700 to install, charging 12 hours installation because it was a complex tie-in, and bleeding process. The ISCI doesn't tie in to the Spyder brake hydraulics in any manner, uses a slave cylinder to activate the brake pedal.

When you catch a dealer in such an egregious fallacy, run, don't walk away. Also, spread the word. Maybe when the losses catch up they'll change their tune.
    The dealership I bought my Spyder from is much smarter than that. After I told them I would do most of my own maintenance, the salesman said I would have to bring it in at some certain mileage to have the valves adjusted. When I asked him how they adjusted hydraulic lifters, he said I would have to ask the mechanic that one.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Gwolf View Post
    The dealership I bought my Spyder from is much smarter than that. After I told them I would do most of my own maintenance, the salesman said I would have to bring it in at some certain mileage to have the valves adjusted. When I asked him how they adjusted hydraulic lifters, he said I would have to ask the mechanic that one.
    Good one, I guess they let anyone sell these machines.
    2017 Can Am Spyder RT SE6 Limited

Tri-Axis Bars
    La Monster Longhorn Lights
    La Monster Magic Mirrors
    La Monster Spyder Cuff w/Phone Holder
    Show Chrome Fender Lights
    Show Chrome Backrest
    Show Chrome Brake/Turn Light
    Lid Locks
    2017 RT , White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Yep 17-18 psi in the rear, for any auto tire on any Spyder … ( this does NOT apply to Kenda's or Arachnids ) .... I run 15-16 for auto tire in front …… there are many reasons why this works best …..Myself and Peter Aawen have listed the reasons many, many times...… none of those reasons rely on seat of the pants feel ( other than it will provide a more comfortable ride ) …… Mike
    Oh, my mistake. Okay on car tires.....thanks

I traded my 2014 RT for a 2017 Mr. White RT-S. I am George Lewis. I live two miles from Boerne, TX. I am 89, retired USAF and Sony Corp. I also have a GW MotorTrike. My email: scoot62@aol.com

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA
    If you have not been to Luckenbach, your journey is not complete.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by knipper View Post
    hello spyder lovers

i recently bought a car tire to put on my 2012 can am spyder rt, i called the dealer and they refused to put on the tire, stating that it miss up the ecm and the throttle body. That the speed odometer will be off by 10 to 15%. Does anyone run a kuhmo car tire size 225/50/r15 on there spyders do you experience any issues? Called discount tire they will mount and balance the tire for $25.00. Dealer want $170 tire then another $133 to mount the tire almost $350.00 for one tire change. Has anyone changed there own tire, it does not look that difficult. Please let me know asap, need to get it changed this week. Thanks for the help.
    dealer is scamming you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I did this exact change on my 2010 and everything is great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Spyder Garage

That has worked well for me also following your advise!!!!!!!!!!!!

Spyder Garage

Default STUPID SCAMMING dealer

STUPID SCAMMING dealer.
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bayoubill View Post
    the local dealer here [knoxville tn area] had 3 spyders on the floor when i looked in august, they didn't know much about them either, i don't think they care if you buy one there or not, or get one worked on there or not, they had a slew of bmw bikes, and can am 4 wheelers, several other brands, spyder is probably less than 1% of their business so they just don't care about them, i bought a victory cross roads in 2011, great bike but the dealer situation was the same, it really hurt them, now the brand is gone, when will companies ever learn to build a brand like harley did, not just sell a bike.
    Great point! Just remember 50% of all Harley’s are still in the road! The rest of them made it home!
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

Just for clarification, make sure the words “mount the tyre” are in the same context. The tyre shop is simply talking about taking the wheel and tyre that you have already removed from the Spyder, changing the tyre, balancing it, and giving it back to you to remount on the Spyder. The dealer is talking about removing your real wheel, changing the tyre, balancing it, and remounting it on the Spyder with belt alignment, correct tension etc.
    Your dealer is still full of ***** with his comments on the ECM, but that may explain the difference in labour costs. Yes, wheel removal is “relatively” easy at home with the right tools, but if I could find a dealer who was prepared to mount a car tyre, I would certainly pay the extra to have them do it in case something went wrong later.....but that is purely a personal thing.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

I have a 225/50/15 . Kuhmo on my 2014 RT . with just over 20K on this tire it just slipped this AM . going slowly up a slick ramp, notice . the wear bars are showing will replace soon. Two up 98% of the time.......