Spyder Garage

Default F3L USB Power and Fog Light Switch Removal

I am a new F3L owner () and looking at putting in a USB power port to keep my phone charged while it is in the handlebar phone holder (the LaMonster one). The dealer said they would install the port in the spot for a second accessory switch but that is the one used by the fog lights. I know eventually I want to install the fog lights down the road so the dealer said they could cut a hole in the left plastic panel (with the safety card) and install the port there but I don't really want to do that. My question is twofold: Is there a better way to install a USB power port other than cutting a hole in the plastic? If not, could I install it where the fog light switch would go and just not have a fog light switch (i.e. wire the fog lights similar to the headlights and leave the fog lights on all the time)?

Thanks!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rbflapjack View Post
    I am a new F3L owner () and looking at putting in a USB power port to keep my phone charged while it is in the handlebar phone holder (the LaMonster one). The dealer said they would install the port in the spot for a second accessory switch but that is the one used by the fog lights. I know eventually I want to install the fog lights down the road so the dealer said they could cut a hole in the left plastic panel (with the safety card) and install the port there but I don't really want to do that. My question is twofold: Is there a better way to install a USB power port other than cutting a hole in the plastic? If not, could I install it where the fog light switch would go and just not have a fog light switch (i.e. wire the fog lights similar to the headlights and leave the fog lights on all the time)?

Thanks!
    The problem with installing one in the right or left knockout is that 1) they have to enlarge the hole to accommodate the barrel size of the USB port. If you ever change your mind and install the fog lights, you'll need to by a new switch bezel ($13.00). I know this because I tried it on the left side of the switch, which brings me to reason 2) once installed and the USB plug in plugged in the handlebar came into contact with it when making a hard turn.

My solution was to purchase this:https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1. I wired it to the Aux power available under the left access panel. I just let it set on top of the other cables and run my usb cable up from it through the open section of the panel in front.

IMG_0396.jpgIMG_0398.jpgIMG_0374.jpg

Spyder Garage

Look in your "glove box," there's a USB and power cords there. Just run a cord long enough to reach your phone. I do that.
    Leave that hole for the fog light switch - it's all pre-wired for it and you can use aftermarket ones for less than BRP.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RICZ View Post
    Look in your "glove box," there's a USB and power cords there. Just run a cord long enough to reach your phone. I do that.
    Leave that hole for the fog light switch - it's all pre-wired for it and you can use aftermarket ones for less than BRP.
    Does the seal around the glove box ruin the charging cable over time from crimping it or did you cut out a slot in the glove box seal?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bcraig View Post
    The problem with installing one in the right or left knockout is that 1) they have to enlarge the hole to accommodate the barrel size of the USB port. If you ever change your mind and install the fog lights, you'll need to by a new switch bezel ($13.00). I know this because I tried it on the left side of the switch, which brings me to reason 2) once installed and the USB plug in plugged in the handlebar came into contact with it when making a hard turn.

My solution was to purchase this:https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1. I wired it to the Aux power available under the left access panel. I just let it set on top of the other cables and run my usb cable up from it through the open section of the panel in front.

IMG_0396.jpgIMG_0398.jpgIMG_0374.jpg
    That may be the best answer without ruining the glove box. I see where you can run the cable in front of that access panel and then just zip tie it to the handlebars with some service loop. Thanks.

Spyder Garage

I don't close the the lid or notch it. I just lower it - no cable wear. Just be sure the cable is long enough when the bars are at full lock.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

Hi,

I'm using the USB that's in the glove box. I ran a cable to the handlebar.

If you look at post #3 in this link
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...ndle-bar-mount

you will see how I'm using it.

I pass a USB cable from the inside of the glove box to my handlebar and i'm using an x-Grip Ram mount for my phone.

I'm listening to Spotify and I'm also using my iPhone for navigation.

That way, you can also Play/Pause your Spotify with the control on the handle by just changing the source from USB to something else will automatically Pause Spotify and when you go back to USB mode, it will Play again.

Hope this help !
    X-Grip Ram Mount Phone Holder, Lamonster Fog and driving lights, BRP Heated grip, Home made rear rack + Shad SH58X top case, BRP belt tensioner
    2016 F3T , Red