Spyder Garage

Default Issues for 2014 RT's over 75,000 miles?

Good morning! A friend of mine is considering buying an RT from another friend of mine. The Spyder is a 2014 RT and has over 75,000 miles. It has been impeccably maintained, garage kept etc.

What issues have you run into for the higher mileage Spyders? It has the 1330 engine, se6...

This will be my friend's 1st Spyder, and a good way to get into it without spending a ton of $$ to find out if he likes it. But, I'd hate to think he's just about to step into some very expensive issues. No guarantees with any high mileage vehicle, of course. Just good to know what has been fairly consistent, if anything. Thanks for your help!!!

Sue

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

The key is it was well maintained, so if the price is right it should be fine. I see many Spyders here with a lot more then 75000 miles and still going strong.
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

Thanks - Maintained better than anyone I've ever known...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I believe SpyderAnn's old RT has over 124K and still running strong.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderSue View Post
    Good morning! A friend of mine is considering buying an RT from another friend of mine. The Spyder is a 2014 RT and has over 75,000 miles. It has been impeccably maintained, garage kept etc.

What issues have you run into for the higher mileage Spyders? It has the 1330 engine, se6... This will be my friend's 1st Spyder, and a good way to get into it without spending a ton of $$ to find out if he likes it. But, I'd hate to think he's just about to step into some very expensive issues. No guarantees with any high mileage vehicle, of course. Just good to know what has been fairly consistent, if anything. Thanks for your help!!! Sue
    Based on my 3 years of reading and participating on this forum, I would have to say that very few 2014 RTs have achieved that kind of mileage. At least not as reported here. There are the spectacular exceptions, such as Ann Meyer, but I think most folks put on about 3-7k miles per year typically.

Having said that, we have two of these machines and I'm expecting to keep both for at least another 5 years. They presently have about 20-24k miles on them and no issues so far.

The best thing you can do is check the service records of the bike, including routine maintenance and also any repairs that were performed. If work was done at an authorized dealer, there is a record of that.

FWIW, here is the history of Ann Meyer's SpyderAnn01) Spyders, from her signature block;

2017 F3T-SM6 (current ryde)
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    Last edited by UtahPete; 09-16-2019 at 02:50 PM. Reason: Added info
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Spyders seem to age well. If the Spyder has been maintained as you feel it has, and the price reflects the mileage. I'd go for it. Probably run as good as a Spyder with 1/3 the mileage.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Thanks Ron - that seems to be the consensus...

Spyder Garage

We currently have 34K on my 2014. We are starting to ride around 350 miles a week per bike now...so the high mileage will probably arrive sooner rather than later.

So far...no issues.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I will have owned my '14 for five years in three weeks and have 62.3K+ on the clock. Other than the parking brake motor being replaced under warranty at 10 months and 9,400 miles I have had no mechanical problems and the bike has not missed a beat. Yes, I did lose the right side side panel on a long trip several years ago but that was because of a big foot and not as thorough a pre-ride check, both my fault; and I had to trash my second pair of Crapenda front tires because one was so poorly made that it could not be satisfactorily balanced, but that's not a the fault of the Spyder. The last time I changed brake pads I went with HBC pads and rotors from BajaRon but that was my choice, not the results of any failure of the OEM pads or rotors; I just wanted more braking power for spirited riding in the mountains. I somewhat agree with Pete that we don't routinely hear on SL of a lot of people racking up big miles because, (a) many folks just don't ride that many miles a year for numerous reasons and (b) those that do just quietly motor on and don't participate frequently on forums such as this one. IMO, the 1330 ACE engine Spyders are a big jump from the V-twins in terms of reliability and as a result owners are just quietly going about their business rolling up miles.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

We traded our 2014 RT last fall with 84,000 miles on it.
    The only real issue I had with it was the DESS modual having to be replaced twice. Why I said real issue is that is the only time I was stuck on the side of the road until I could get it to start hours later. First time was a real hardship as I was at a bar - nothing worst that having to wait 2 hours at a bar with low cost drinks
    I understand it now has close to 90,000 miles on it and still going strong.

A friend of mine has over 100,000 miles on his 2015RT and that is also still going strong.

I also seen a post on Facebook where someone has over 150,000 miles on his 2014RT.

I would hot hesitate on purchasing a well maintained RT with only 75,000 miles.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I have the same year RT …. other than the DESS issue it has run great …… I plan to ride until I pass-on …… The price better reflect that mileage though ….. I'm thinking $ 10,000 max …. the number of Farkles won't change that price …...good luck …. Mike

Spyder Garage

Thanks Mike!

Spyder Garage

Maintenance and more importantly the maintenance items accomplished is important.

The big ones in my opinion, have the brakes been flushed every two years or pretty close to that?

Has the transmission filter replacements been accomplished?

Outside of that, as mentioned DESS.

Pretty much all else is typical wear items like tires / brakes.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderSue View Post
    Thanks Mike!
    PS, I forgot to mention 45,000 + miles …… Mike

Spyder Garage

My 1st Spyder I put 36000 miles on, and my current F3 has 30,000 - so I guess I've got 66,000, and I'm still going strong too!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My Spyder was a manual, and I think they have fewer problems than the semi automatics. When I sold it in 2017 it still had 18 months of extended warranty which meant any issues would cost the new owner only $50. I never had DESS issues on mine

If the price is right I’d go for it.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    Maintenance and more importantly the maintenance items accomplished is important.

The big ones in my opinion, have the brakes been flushed every two years or pretty close to that?

Has the transmission filter replacements been accomplished?

Outside of that, as mentioned DESS.

Pretty much all else is typical wear items like tires / brakes.
    You mention the brake fluid flush as shown in the manual. Why is this needed when cars will go almost forever without needing that? Just curious.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Baron14y View Post
    You mention the brake fluid flush as shown in the manual. Why is this needed when cars will go almost forever without needing that? Just curious.
    A lot of people neglect their cars but my last Goldwing and Harley recommended brake fluid changes every two years.
    2017 Can Am Spyder RT SE6 Limited

Tri-Axis Bars
    La Monster Longhorn Lights
    La Monster Magic Mirrors
    La Monster Spyder Cuff w/Phone Holder
    Show Chrome Fender Lights
    Show Chrome Backrest
    Show Chrome Brake/Turn Light
    Lid Locks
    2017 RT , White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Baron14y View Post
    Cars can't really 'go almost forever' without needing their brake fluid changed/flushed, it's just that many people don't realise that brake fluid is hygroscopic, ie, it absorbs water from the atmosphere (even thru the cap seals.... eventually! ) and that they SHOULD be getting it done - and some mechanics/Dealers justvaren't that interested in doing the job cos it's messy, and while it's relatively easy to do, it's even easier to stuff up, with potentially hazardous consequences or at least the need for being re-done &/or fixed at their expense.... so why do it or even mention it if the customer doesn't know?!? Which means that the 'less than concientious' types out there can (usually) avoid all of those issues with impunity!

The fact is that wherever it's used, Brake fluid does have a limited life, and it'll deteriorate quicker over time if it's exposed to high humidity &/or moisture laden situations! So motorcycles, scooters, Spyders, trailers, and all those other hydraulically braked machines out there that aren't fully enclosed and so have their braking systems &/or master cylinders more exposed to those conditions therefore really NEED to have their brake fluid changed/flushed sooner than most cars or trucks might.... but that doesn't mean your car or truck still doesn't NEED it done too - it's just that those enclosed vehicles can usually get away with it not being done for longer & many don't realise the risks they are facing until something goes wrong!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Our 2014 RT Limited is still going strong at over 60,000 miles. Great ride and has been a good bike! Maintenance is a key. We are planning on hitting 100,000 miles plus with this one before an upgrade to a new Spyder...we put on about 12,000 miles a year on this bike so should be another 3+ years before we hit that 100K milestone!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Happy and safe rydin'
    2014 Spyder RT Limited - January 2014, Cognac/Black Seat, #958, born on 1-8-14
    2014 RT Limited , Cognac

Spyder Garage

The Spyder is particularly sensitive to brake fluid levels. Keep it clean and full and you will have no issues. Remember, you are dealing with a system that is much smaller than the systems in your car or SUV. Little things mean a lot...... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

I'm SpyderSue's friend that is buying my first Spyder. Have owned 10 motorcycles over the years, but never rode a trike. Just joined the Forum. Wanted to thank you all for the advice.

Spyder Garage

I have a '14 RT which I purchased new 5 years ago. Currently has 54K miles and running strong. I had the ignition and emergency brake warranty repairs done. My hubby does 95% of the routine maintenance on all the bikes (and our other vehicles) at the suggested intervals (our closest dealer is 120 miles away). Maintenance is key and understanding some of the quirks of your Spyder make for a fun time! This forum is helpful if you encounter a problem or need an answer or advice. SpyderAnn01 is a great resource (and saved my butt once or twice, LOL). We purchase our maintenance materials from BajaRon and Spyderpops (who both can answer lots of questions) and other various vendors on Spyderlovers. Have fun and enjoy your new Spyder experience!
    2020 RTL SE6 Asphalt Grey
    2014 RT SE6, Pearl White 57k (2014-2020)
    2008 GS Premier 17k (2012-2014)

Spyder Garage

Welcome, Gringo! Do yourself a very big favor and get very comfortable with the operator's guide. There is a lot of very good information in it. Beware though, the picture of the dipstick is incorrect and is one from the old V-twin engine. There are threads here on SL about the correct way to check the oil level in the 1330 ACE engine, always done hot, and there is also information on the correct oil fill amounts that were wrong in the '14 OG.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S