Spyder Garage

Cool Should I Keep Her or Trade Her

I currently own a 2013 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited SE5 with about 15,000 miles. Has been a great ride since purchasing brand new in May of 2013. Having been checking prices and looking to trade up to either a 2019 F3 Limited or 2019 RT Limited SE6, Should we keep her or trade her in for newer model. Have also been looking at the 2020 RT Limited SE6. Sweet looking ride, and the refresh has been long overdue.

All comments are greatly appreciated to help us (wife and I) with our dilemma.

Current Spyder is fully stock, garage and battery tender kept with no farkles needing to be removed!

Thanks!

Biscuit56

Spyder Garage

Default choices, choices

If you have in mind to trade now it will only get to be more what you want to do. Once you start thinking about it ..... well that's it.. Now as to what to go with... With the pricing of the new RT's I would go with one of them but then what will your budget stand...?? There will be good deals on other models ....9
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Well if you are not going to ride her, and don't have any one in the family that wants to up and going, sell it out right and let some one else enjoy the ride! They will not give you much on a trade most likely, so it may be time to cut the cord and look towards the light and go!! And if nothing else works there's always
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

If you are in no hurry to get a new one, and you are interested in the 2020 RT, you may want to wait until you can test ride one. Trade in value will be less than what you can sell for. If you do not want the hassle of selling it yourself, then trading it in is the option. Here in Iowa the riding season is coming to an end and dealers are clearing inventory. This means lower prices on new, which in turn means lower trade in dollars offered. You will have to decide what is the best value for you and the budget you have to get a new Spyder. Not sure if that is the case where you live.
    David Petrick
    Certified Professional Photographer
    2020 Limited Dark , Magma Red Black

Spyder Garage

Not even at the $ per mile mark & considering getting rid of?
    Personally prefer to get more bang for my $

nothing wrong with having 2 if you just need new & can swing it
    Lack of farkles may simplify trade/sale , also means you have not gotten well acquainted with your

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

It appears you average a little less than 3,000 miles a year- You have another 6 easy years on yours or you could boost the economy and buy the New one- I like the New RT!!

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

Life is short! Buy the new one!!
    The 13 has the twin motor, the newer has a bigger triple. Better motor!
    Better all the way around!
    Buy the new one!!!
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cptjam View Post
    Life is short! Buy the new one!!
    The 13 has the twin motor, the newer has a bigger triple. Better motor!
    Better all the way around!
    Buy the new one!!!
    If you want to trade up then go all the way up 2020 RTL
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

I agree with Sarge707. What's missing here is your reason for wanting to sell or trade. If you're having problems with your 2013 and you have the cash, I get that. Or, if you just have the itch to own the latest thing and want a 2020, I get that, too. But your 2013 should have lots of life in it and the 2019s don't offer much that your 2013 has ... do they? What are you gaining?
    2017 RTS , Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Biscuit56 View Post
    I currently own a 2013 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited SE5 with about 15,000 miles. Has been a great ride since purchasing brand new in May of 2013. Having been checking prices and looking to trade up to either a 2019 F3 Limited or 2019 RT Limited SE6, Should we keep her or trade her in for newer model. Have also been looking at the 2020 RT Limited SE6. Sweet looking ride, and the refresh has been long overdue.

All comments are greatly appreciated to help us (wife and I) with our dilemma.

Current Spyder is fully stock, garage and battery tender kept with no farkles needing to be removed!

Thanks!

Biscuit56
    First off if you're not going to be riding the 2013 I say get rid of it, secondly I wouldn't even look at a 2019 RT, it would either be the 2019 F3 Ltd. or the new for 2020 RT.
    2018 F3 Limited , Black/Chrome

Spyder Garage

I too have a 2013 though I have farkled it to perfection (mine at least) and I'm still considering a '20 RTL with armrests ONLY after my wife has had a chance to sit on one. I had seriously considered a F3T or Limited and right up until SWMBO got on and said the topcase backrest was too low for her to nod off back there. Still driving the '13 (35,000 miles) and would likely sell it outright after getting the replacement. IF the passenger seating is as comfortable as they make it sound.
    As others have said, if it's the features on the next one that make the decision for you, go for it. We do only live once here on this magnificent ball of curvy roads and hills.....
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

You own a Gen I RT with a 998. 2014-2019 saw the Gen II RT with the 1330 ACE. That evolution, in itself, made the RT a completely different machine. Now the 2020 RT (Gen III) has a lot of good ideas for a new skin and accessories, plus the 1330 ACE engine. Another paradigm shift. The only thing I don't like about the '20 is what I've not liked about the 18's and 19s, which is that hokey instrument pack and BRP connect. So okay, Can Am has refined that a bit in the '20s and it looks like maaayyybe ... one can reintegrate a free-standing GPS and harness into the bike. GPS'ing through one's smart phone and BRP Connect, IMHO, was just a stupid engineering idea. So:

I started with a 2010 RTS. In 2015 I traded up to a '15 RTS because of the improved power train, brakes, etc. However, I love my beautifully after-market (seat, lights, suspension, etc. etc.) accessoried '15. It is a beautiful machine and current, except it's not a 2020. Trading my 10 for a 15 was a no-brainer. I cannot reconcile (yet) off-loading my '15 for a '20 at with an outlay of about $20K after trade, for new skin. However, for you, It should be a no-brainer to trade/sell your '13 for a 20 ( going from Gen. I to Gen III RT).

Spyder Garage

Hi Mate", I am Peter and I live in Australia. I have a 2010 Canam Techno SE5 and I paid $20,000.00 AU dollars for it 4 years ago. I was offered about $3000.00 AU dollars as a trade in it has done 70,000 Kms. You know I will ride it into the ground rather than ever accept the trade in price I got offered LOLbut that's how it goes with Spyders or anything really they decrease in Value. The Spyder has more value to me and I know the machine so I keep her

Regards Peter

Spyder Garage

I love the new RT, going to go look them over in March. I am keeping my RS-S no matter what. Its tuned, its a light to light beast, and its fast and loud. It will likely go the kids when I take that final road trip into eternity, same with my Triumph, My BMW, and the other bikes I have in my collection. I have 6 on hand right now...Going to the national swap meet in Denver in Feb with my inventory....I am REALLY impressed with the new RT, they really FINALLY did the redesign right on that beast. Thats my next Trike for sure. Than I have a "sportster" Spyder in the RS-S, and my quiet, long haul, comfy couch, interstate trike too.
    Kraig B. Kumlin, M.M., M.C.P. (Retired)

Only Two States Left to Visit on MC or Trike, RI and CT
    2012 RS-S , Baja Ron Plug Wire Kit and NGK Iridium Plugs Grey and Black

Spyder Garage

Unless you've tested the new ones and really love riding it a lot more in comparison to what you've got, I can't see this as being a smart move. My gut is telling me that you'd enjoy the purchase and the newness, and may be a bit bored (that's when I spend money that I don't need to spend). Unless you are wealthy enough that $15-20K is walking around money, I would keep the one you have.

After the fist season, chances are you won't ride the new one or enjoy it any more than you ride or enjoy your current Spyder.

My opinion, and only because I was asked.
    2020 RT Limited in the ultra cool Deep Marsala Dark edition.

Baja Ron Anti-Sway Bar, LED reflectors, Lamonster USB Charger (and phone mount), Can-Am Low Windshield, X-Creen Tour Variable Windscreen Spoiler Blade, Power Commander, Dilithium powered Flux Capacitor (not yet fully functional).
    Maintained by Lou at Pirate Powersports.

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Keep the Spyder

..........Keep the Spyder. Unless you have $20K + ...extra in your pockets.....
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

Since your average miles per year is just over 2,300 it wouldn’t make sense to me to buy a new one unless you plan to really increase your yearly mileage.
    2020 F3 Ltd

Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Brake/Run/Turn Signal LED's
    Lamonster Garage LED Fog Lights and Headlights
    2013 ST-S retired 1/9/16 at 25,061 miles
    2015 F3S sold at 77,565 miles.
    2015 F3-S , BajaRon Plugs Can-Am Red

Very Active Member SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

oh, from the title i thought you meant wife

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN View Post
    oh, from the title i thought you meant wife
    My initial impression as well, considering he was speaking of "her."
    2012 2012 RT-L and 3015 RT-S , 2012 - red and 2015 black (way too black)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    Well if you are not going to ride her, and don't have any one in the family that wants to up and going, sell it out right and let some one else enjoy the ride! They will not give you much on a trade most likely
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Spyder Garage

I agree wholeheartedly with JKMSpyder. If you're not putting at least 10K a year on it it's just a casual toy. JMO.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S