Spyder Garage

Default 2011 Rt Leaking Air Bag

Couldn't find much in a search. Pretty sure the air bag is leaking on our 2011 RT. I put air in once a week or each ride. So is there a least expensive air bag fix? Is there a video on replacing the air bag. No matter what the answer I am going to have to fix it myself. I put about 40 or more pounds in for my wife and myself. We are NOT light weights. Comments, hints and informations will be appreciated. Thanks.
    Ride safe!

2018 Spyder RT Limited

Spyder Garage

First I would make sure the bag is the problem! Take the left side panel off the old girl, and make up some soap and water, heavy on the soap, spray the whole system down and look for bubbles. If it's the air bag then you have a choice, remove the rear wheel then you'll have all kinds of room to play, or remove the whole tail end of the bike off the bike, trunk, bags, fender, ect! There are all kinds of videos on both jobs, do a search on it! I would go from the tire as much of a pia it's going to be that's the way I would go. Good luck, I hope it's just a leak in the air lines or fittings, If that's the case, auto parts store has all the stuff to fix that!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

If you determine it is the airbag, email this gentlemen. roadsterrenovations@gmail.com He has a device that can help if the leak is coming from the bottom of the bag. In any case, I'm sure he can give you some good advice.
    2011 RTS (Sold to a very nice lady)
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    2006 Mustang GT. Varooooom!
    US Navy Veteran
    SC Law Enforcement Boat Captain
    CNC Machine Service Technician
    President: Rolling Thunder SC1
    Member: Disabled American Veterans, Rock Hill, SC
    Member: American Legion
    Experience is recognizing the same mistake every time you make it!

Spyder Garage

Thanks. I will report back when I know more!
    Ride safe!

2018 Spyder RT Limited

Spyder Garage

Is your Rt a basic RT or a Rts or Ltd. If it is a basic Rt, make sure your valve is tight on your Schrader valve under your seat. If your Spyder is a S or Ltd it could be your one way valve connected to your compressor. Bruce
    New to Sue and I
    2021, LTD, Asphalt Gray, 22,000 miles
    Gone but not forgotten
    RTS 2011 SM5, 95,000 miles

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have a new aftermarket air ride compressor kit for sale that would make adding air as simple as pushing a button...See full details on Bakers Air Wing Site...

For Sale, Baker Air Ride Compressor Kit for Spyder RT, 2010 and newer, $150.00 Free shipping in continental US (FIRM) ...Contact Larry Demay? LBDemay@Verizon.net or call 814-386-6292

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Here is a little air spring info I compiled when redoing my air ride system to suit me...The BRP air spring part # 219800175 is $224.99...This air spring is made by Goodyear and their part number is 1S4-217, BUT it is a BRP exclusive only part, not sold to the public except by BRP...There is a Firestone air spring which is very close in size and the fittings are an exact match...Part #353-7086, costs, $34.36...You make your own choice...The air spring is a PIA to change...

Spyder Garage

Only 40 pounds for the two of you?? Well, when you are testing for the leak, put in about 90. I think for the two of you riding, 60- 75 is about right.
    Bob, k7xi. 2013 RTL

Spyder Garage

Thank you gentlemen. Allow me to report back and conclude this. I was running too little air in the bag which made it feel very squishy. After jacking the pressure up and testing daily I found it didn't leak. I have the manual bag, no compressor. I guess I've been under inflating it and when I checked it was low. Several times. Thank you all for the information. I will store it in case I have a real problem!
    Ride safe!

2018 Spyder RT Limited

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by daz View Post
    Thank you gentlemen. Allow me to report back and conclude this. I was running too little air in the bag which made it feel very squishy. After jacking the pressure up and testing daily I found it didn't leak. I have the manual bag, no compressor. I guess I've been under inflating it and when I checked it was low. Several times. Thank you all for the information. I will store it in case I have a real problem!
    I find after gutting my RTL air ride system, 85 psi works well for me and the wife!! Glad you checked it out before jumping into the dragons den!!! Good luck, happy trails
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

On our 2014 RTS with MY reworked air ride system, I find setting the static air pressure for us riding 2 up works best around 90 lbs also...As you ride in the sun and the engine heats up the area under the plastic panels and with us on onboard, its not uncommon to see the air pressure gauge on the plus side of 100 lbs...And depending on certain road conditions I've seen spikes to 120 lbs...larryd

Spyder Garage

Sue and I together, run around 60 to 70 lbs.
    New to Sue and I
    2021, LTD, Asphalt Gray, 22,000 miles
    Gone but not forgotten
    RTS 2011 SM5, 95,000 miles

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by larryd View Post
    Here is a little air spring info I compiled when redoing my air ride system to suit me...The BRP air spring part # 219800175 is $224.99...This air spring is made by Goodyear and their part number is 1S4-217, BUT it is a BRP exclusive only part, not sold to the public except by BRP...There is a Firestone air spring which is very close in size and the fittings are an exact match...Part #353-7086, costs, $34.36...You make your own choice...The air spring is a PIA to change...
    Have you used the Firestone air spring?
    Eckhard

Spyder RT Ltd, 2011
    2011 RT Ltd. , Pearl White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Eckhard View Post
    Have you used the Firestone air spring?
    No, I did not...I ended up buying a nice used one on ebay...

BUT I WOULD DONATE THE FIRESTONE ONE TO SOMEONE WHO WOULD PUT IT IN AND TRY IT & REPORT BACK TO ALL OF US...

Spyder Garage

I bought both to save money but i dont think i would use the Firestone air bag, as it is at least and inch shorter.IMG_1365.jpg

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

yknot04...Did you need to go to BRP to purchase the Goodyear factory air bag??? Or were you able to find an aftermarket source??? larryd

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by larryd View Post
    yknot04...Did you need to go to BRP to purchase the Goodyear factory air bag??? Or were you able to find an aftermarket source??? larryd
    He said he found one on Ebay!
    2012 RTL , Pearl