Spyder Garage

Default Parking brake alarm going off after key shuts off

I stopped to get gas and turned the key to off. My brake alarm started going off! I tried turning the key on and off again, then tried setting and resetting the parking brake but nothing worked. I ended up just putting some gas quickly so I could start it up again and it was fine. Is this a common problem and does anyone have an easy way to correct it?
    I don't think it makes Can Am look very good when my alarm is going off filling up my gas tank!

Spyder Garage

Default That's the way it is....

My understanding is that if not set then the alarm goes off. Regardless of being in gear or not without the park brake set the unit will roll. Now the alarm will quit after 30 seconds or so. Once it goes off you have to restart and go through the correct setting...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    My understanding is that if not set then the alarm goes off. Regardless of being in gear or not without the park brake set the unit will roll. Now the alarm will quit after 30 seconds or so. Once it goes off you have to restart and go through the correct setting...
    Thanks, I should have mentioned the indicator for the brake was on? When I tried switching back and forth the indicator never went off, maybe just a one time glitch????
    Good to know it will only last 30 seconds - if it happens again I won't have to put gas in like I am in a pit crew!

Spyder Garage

You need to activate parking brake before engine is turned off! If you do not do this and the alarm sounds(which it is supposed to) crank the engine up and activate the parking brake. Then turn it off and take your time gassing up

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Clean the micro switch. Refer to this thread.

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...16#post1463216

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Is your RT an 18 or 19? If so, you should start carrying two 12 mm wrenches which you will need if your parking brake will not release. This is a known issue.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyrocket View Post
    You need to activate parking brake before engine is turned off! If you do not do this and the alarm sounds(which it is supposed to) crank the engine up and activate the parking brake. Then turn it off and take your time gassing up
    The engine running is NOT a requirement for activating the parking brake. The only requirement is the key has to be on which applies 12 VDC to the parking brake circuit.

Spyder Garage

I have a 2019 - the emergency brake light is blinking and the parking brake will not release. bike won't move. Fortunately i'm at home, but What do I do with 2 12mm wrenches?

Spyder Garage

Look where the cable is attached to the rear brake just on the side of the wheel. There is a metal hook and L bracket the cable goes through. There is a 12mm nut infront of the the hook. Loosen the nut till you can slide the cable out of the hook. You will still have regular brakes just not a parking brake. Chock the wheels with a rock or wedge.

before you do that I'd pull the panel and look at the microswitch. Push with your finger and clean.

Spyder Garage

Here's a picture of a 17 of the switch. Not sure it is the same but should be about the same look.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

just a question ? ABC triker " did you try to toggle the switch couple of times ? " I am pretty sure you did , it is normal to give it a couple of on/off flips to make sure the thing worked the 1st time ... ( isn`t there a fuse for the brake ? you should have heard the actuator sound , as in it makes noise as it releases ... )

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    Is your RT an 18 or 19? If so, you should start carrying two 12 mm wrenches which you will need if your parking brake will not release. This is a known issue.
    Ann, can you expand more on this issue with the 18 and 19?
    [B]

2018 Intense Red F3T (See About Me under My Profile for mods)
    2010 Timeless Black RT-622 Trailer
    2014 Timeless Black RTS-SE6, 34,300 Miles, traded May 2019
    2011 Timeless Black RTS-SE5, 15,180 Miles, traded April 2014

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Doc - Riverside View Post
    The engine running is NOT a requirement for activating the parking brake. The only requirement is the key has to be on which applies 12 VDC to the parking brake circuit.
    Abso-bloody-lutely, Doc. That’s how I move my F3 around the garage. Drive in, engage neutral, park brake on, key off. Then key on, park brake off, move F3 around, park brake on, key off. It doesn’t need the engine running at all.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Mine will not activate without engine running. I had my console replaced last year so maybe that has something to do with it. Mine is a 2015 RT which after console was replaced I do not need to wait for the start mode to finish whatever it does, it just cranks right up.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    Abso-bloody-lutely, Doc. That’s how I move my F3 around the garage. Drive in, engage neutral, park brake on, key off. Then key on, park brake off, move F3 around, park brake on, key off. It doesn’t need the engine running at all.

Pete
    Same here. When I get back from a ride I need to move my golf car in order to put the Spyder to bed. My routine: Put Spyder in driveway, activate brake, turn key off, move golf car, turn Spyder key on, deactivate brake, push Spyder to its' home using passenger grip and handlebar, activate brake & turn key off. The only thing that doesn't work without the engine running is the DPS..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi