Spyder Garage

Default Small air cleaner instead of the giant air box?

2013 At 998cc. I read that someone made a small replacement for the giant air box. Is this true? Any links? Thanks!! Replacing plugs and OMG the pain!!

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by stevencovert View Post
    2013 At 998cc. I read that someone made a small replacement for the giant air box. Is this true? Any links? Thanks!! Replacing plugs and OMG the pain!!
    If you are referring to the one that a Vendor here ( I forget His name ) ….. I'm sure it flows more Air, but it is hot air, and noisier …… Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    If you are referring to the one that a Vendor here ( I forget His name ) ….. I'm sure it flows more Air, but it is hot air, and noisier …… Mike
    I felt the same way. But finally capitulated and got the JT air cleaner.

Lamont had one on his 08 Spyder and it was very noisy. Since that time JT has come up with a foam sound wrap and pre-filter, which I also got. I like it. You can hear the throttle bodies sucking air at WOT. But at cruise, or normal riding, it's not really that noticeable. It certainly makes working on and around the motor much more enjoyable.

As for the hot air. I need to get an ambient air temp gauge so I can see actually how hot it is. I don't have fog lights so those pods act as fresh air scoops. Don't know how effective they are. But I'm thinking at speed, the air may not be all that hot. I have also wrapped my exhaust pipes which really helps with the under-hood temps.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I installed the JT air cleaner on my dad's 2013 RT. It is time consuming and somewhat difficult to install, but his spyder runs much cooler and maintenance is much easier. A bit noisy under hard throttle, but he likes it. I highly recommend it.
    2021 Sea to Sky RT , Highland green

Spyder Garage

Default For sure....

Many have gone that route and it does work , for me, very well with a bit more pep in her step. Now to consider is the added sound from the air flow to the throttle body. There is a foam overlay that helps but some did not like the throaty sound when getting on the gas....sweet sound of a well oiled machine.... JT's Machine shop has them I know you can google him....

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...p?albumid=3347
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    I felt the same way. But finally capitulated and got the JT air cleaner.

Lamont had one on his 08 Spyder and it was very noisy. Since that time JT has come up with a foam sound wrap and pre-filter, which I also got. I like it. You can hear the throttle bodies sucking air at WOT. But at cruise, or normal riding, it's not really that noticeable. It certainly makes working on and around the motor much more enjoyable.

As for the hot air. I need to get an ambient air temp gauge so I can see actually how hot it is. I don't have fog lights so those pods act as fresh air scoops. Don't know how effective they are. But I'm thinking at speed, the air may not be all that hot. I have also wrapped my exhaust pipes which really helps with the under-hood temps.
    I did do some Thermal imaging near the Throttle bodies, ( I can't remember Exactly what it was but I remember I thought it was " scary " hot, compared to Ambient ….. Sooooooooooooooooooooo I got some Aluminium Dryer hose ( 3in. ) and shaped it around the right side Air Scoop , I also cut cut about 4 in. off the rubber " snorkel " OEM air intake ….. and put it inside the Tube ….. this did lower the Air Temp going into the Throttle bodies …. A small computer fan would have improved things by at least 50% ……. But in reality, as I later discovered. the ***** BRP computer will cancel out any improvement, at least in a meaningful way ……. All HAIL " Monster Fuel " ….that actually works Mike

Spyder Garage

As I was changing the plugs and wires on my 2012 998 I decided there was no way I was going to mess with that monster piece of plastic again so I bought JT's air filter replacement and foam muffler. I was worried about noise as I am a touring rider and excess noise is tiring. JT's replacement is not that noisy at cruising speed and now I don't notice it any more, so go for it you won't be sorry.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

The GS/RS were Much easier to change (Take airbox out) than The RT and F3.

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!