Spyder Garage

Default Getting stopped...over and over...

Ya know how ya have to sometimes plan for extra time to get somewhere when riding your Spyder? Like when you stop for gas and people start asking questions about your cool Spyder.
    I understand how this guy feels.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ca8_HeJo13M

Spyder Garage

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Embrace it! Rock star status! You want boring? Drive a reo! If you think it’s cool, so doesn’t everyone! Part of the fun!
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Spyder Garage

In my 21 years as a police officer I only came upon one of these "special" people. My guy had a British plate. One of those black and white rectangular ones. If you are going to drive around with no plate or a foreign plate (except for Canada and Mexico) you are going to get stopped, period.
    2011 RTS (Sold to a very nice lady)
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    2006 Mustang GT. Varooooom!
    US Navy Veteran
    SC Law Enforcement Boat Captain
    CNC Machine Service Technician
    President: Rolling Thunder SC1
    Member: Disabled American Veterans, Rock Hill, SC
    Member: American Legion
    Experience is recognizing the same mistake every time you make it!

Spyder Garage

I understand that he wants to tour with HIS car. But, holy moly...... where's the fun in having to explain yourself at the side of the road, time, after time, after time, after time......? Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Yeah, I probably wouldn't do it just for a (short?) vacation.... Buuut, it is sorta surprising & even a bit funny, if it wasn't quite so disruptive & frustrating - almost everywhere else in the Rest of the World they seem to handle International cars & travellers without anywhere near as much trouble!

If I want to drive over-land in my own vehicle from Australia to England thru most of the Countries in the World (87 at last count, including both North American Countries IIRC) then all I usually need to do is to get the appropriate Travel Carnet (pronuounced kar-nay)/paperwork from the countries I'm gonna drive thru beforehand and off I go, generally with nothing extra beyond those docs & my current Aus Rego, plates, ins docs etc, &/or windscreen stickers (altho some travellers do whack one of those black & white oval AUS stickers on the back of their vehicles, just so the locals know we aren't Poms, Frenchies, or Yanks! ) And generally, the only place I'll be asked to produce all of that paper-work is at border crossings or my first port of call in any new country I'm visiting/passing thru.... Once there, whichever country it is, most Local Authorities seem to recognise the International nature of the vehicle & driver/occupants, and have little real concerns - except in North America (USA & Canada) Well, there are some places where the 'local Authorities' do take the 'International' bit as an open invite to levy certain cash 'tolls' or 'fines' (if you know what I mean ) before allowing you to proceed, but that's usually only in some 'third world countries' &/or maybe South Africa

But in North America, it seems that every cop you pass wants to check the whole lot out & personally confirm the legitimacy of the International Agreements that allow 'Foreign Travellers' to drive on their Country of Origin Rego & Licences as agreed between the various Governments.... I have a lot of sympathy for the Lambo driver, I know exactly how frustrating this sorta thing can be, and it seems surprising (at least to me ) that such Internationally involved & aware Countries have so little internal awareness & dare I say it even 'lack of tolerance at a local level' for something that the rest of the World handles pretty well! Maybe it's the EU thing making it all easier, but Martin the Vlogger doesn't seem to have any of this type of trouble when he's ryding his Spyder across Europe; Charlie Boorman & Ewan McGregor didn't seem to either, not going Up/Down or Around the World; and there are quite a few other popular widely travelled Vloggers & Youtubers out there who've driven across many many Countries outside of North America on their home Country Rego etc who've had nowhere near the issues this Lambo driver had.... (GrizzlynBear Overland video/documents one French/Aus couple out there doing it right now!) And yet I know that what this Lambo driver experiences in that vid seems to be the norm in the US & Canada but the exception almost any/everywhere else?!? Like I said, because you really don't expect it in such 'aware & International' Countries, it's sorta surprising, at least it was to me!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-14-2019 at 07:30 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Peter: I understand what you mean about driving from one country to another in Europe. Most of the countries borders in Europe are crossed by roads which actually make it similar to Canada and Mexico here. If a police office in America sees a car with a European or Arab plate, it is quite unusual. Like I stated, I had only seen one in 21 years. That makes training on how to handle that situation very far down the list. For most of us it does instigate some investigation.
    2011 RTS (Sold to a very nice lady)
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    2006 Mustang GT. Varooooom!
    US Navy Veteran
    SC Law Enforcement Boat Captain
    CNC Machine Service Technician
    President: Rolling Thunder SC1
    Member: Disabled American Veterans, Rock Hill, SC
    Member: American Legion
    Experience is recognizing the same mistake every time you make it!

Spyder Garage

Why didn't he register it in either the US of Canada? He could have kept his Dubia plates and registration, just put on the US/Canada plates when in the US or Canada.

Joe T.
    Joe T.
    I miss SoCal - - - -

Spyder Garage

I owned motorcycles and was licensed to ride in several of the countries in Asia and South East Asia. I took the international driving test and had a license in the language of the country I rode in. Owned a motorcycle and rode a lot on the island of Taiwan. Lived there almost 3 years, and was never stopped by the local police for any reason, even though I rode a motorcycle that was larger displacement than the locals were allowed to own. I did have have some of the local police stop and ask questions about it as I was filling up with gas or stopped at a roadside cafe. It was never about my license or tag. It was usually about the motorcycle itself.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Joe T. View Post
    Why didn't he register it in either the US of Canada? He could have kept his Dubia plates and registration, just put on the US/Canada plates when in the US or Canada.

Joe T.
    You'd probably have to pay lot import duties and taxes and modify the car to comply with us/canada regulations i dont think putting us/canada plates would be a cheap and quick process for a Lambo
    2015 Canam Spyder F3-S SE6
    Detachable Passenger backrest #219400703
    Gauge Spoiler #219400531
    Blue Ridge Windshield #219400746
    Hood stripes decal kit #219400711
    F3 Idler Pulley #219800431 / Lamonster roller upgrade
    Bajaron SwayBar
    Elka Stage 2 rear shock
    Arc LED fog lights
    Lamonster F3 bar clamp with Quad-lock phone mount
    Foam Hand Grip Covers
    Tufskinz Peel & Stick Tank Protector Pad (Glossy doomed carbon)

Spyder Garage

I think he likes the attention.
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

That car wouldn't be legal to import and register here due to emissions and sound ordinances.

North America only has 2 direct neighbors that can drive in so seeing other plates here would be a rarity. In places like Europe, middle-east or Africa where countries are physically small, cross border traffic is going to be much more common. Most other counties of the world are only the size of one of our states. How often do you see out of state plates vs out of country..