Spyder Garage

Default GPS Power Location

My wife went from a 2012 RT to a 2016 RT. She kept the GPS but we needed to buy a new cradle to mount it to the handlebar. I searched the posts high and low to find 12 volt power for the GPS. I found that there is a dedicated plug for GPD power on the RT. The confusion is the location of the plug. Some say on the right by the gas tank and others say left. Can anyone tell me the location of the GPS power plug on a 2016 RT?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Signe View Post
    My wife went from a 2012 RT to a 2016 RT. She kept the GPS but we needed to buy a new cradle to mount it to the handlebar. I searched the posts high and low to find 12 volt power for the GPS. I found that there is a dedicated plug for GPD power on the RT. The confusion is the location of the plug. Some say on the right by the gas tank and others say left. Can anyone tell me the location of the GPS power plug on a 2016 RT?
    https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...ferrerid=34189

I went through the same thing. It's on the right. 2018 RTL.
    h0gr1der
    2018 RT Limited Blue/Chrome SE6 *Tri-Axis Bars*Adjustable Driver Backrest*175/55R15 Vredestein Front, 205/60R15 Vredestein Rear Tires*Baja Ron Front Spring Pre-Load Adjusters*Misty Mountain Sheepskin seat cover*Centramatic balancers *Garmin Zumo 595LM GPS*KOTT Grills*BajaRon swaybar*SpyderPops Alignment*Missing Belt guard*Magnetic Mirrors*Custom Rear Adjustable Shock*360° LED Headlights & Foglights*Progressive front fender turn signals
    States Visited on Less than 4 wheels.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Signe View Post
    .... Some say on the right by the gas tank and others say left. Can anyone tell me the location of the GPS power plug on a 2016 RT?
    I think for the 2016's it was on the left, then in either 2017 or 18 it changed to the right! No confusion really, it's either on the left of the gas tank, or the right! But it's there, somewhere! Good Luck!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    I think for the 2016's it was on the left, then in either 2017 or 18 it changed to the right! No confusion really, it's either on the left of the gas tank, or the right! But it's there, somewhere! Good Luck!
    I did not know that. Thanks Mr. Aawen!
    h0gr1der
    2018 RT Limited Blue/Chrome SE6 *Tri-Axis Bars*Adjustable Driver Backrest*175/55R15 Vredestein Front, 205/60R15 Vredestein Rear Tires*Baja Ron Front Spring Pre-Load Adjusters*Misty Mountain Sheepskin seat cover*Centramatic balancers *Garmin Zumo 595LM GPS*KOTT Grills*BajaRon swaybar*SpyderPops Alignment*Missing Belt guard*Magnetic Mirrors*Custom Rear Adjustable Shock*360° LED Headlights & Foglights*Progressive front fender turn signals
    States Visited on Less than 4 wheels.

Spyder Garage

I need to find mine on my 2018 RT. I just bought a dual USB charger that mounts in the center switch position, and I think the GPS connector would be a good power source for it.
    Anyone know what the current rating is for that circuit?
    2018 RT , Pearl White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

On my 2014 its on the right side behind the gas tank. You have to remove the middle side panel to get to it. And the audio for the GPS plug is in that area too.

Be careful running the GPS harness they get damaged pretty easy if pulled on to hard.

Spyder Garage

Thank you for that. I have another reply that says right or left so it's uncertain as to when BRP changed it. You have a 2018 so it's on the right on yours. I'll pull the right side off later today and look for it.

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the reply. It looks like the right gets the vote. both the 2014 and the 2018 have it there so the 2017 should as well. I'll take it apart later today and follow up with everyone.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RowdyScamp View Post
    I need to find mine on my 2018 RT. I just bought a dual USB charger that mounts in the center switch position, and I think the GPS connector would be a good power source for it.
    Be sure to get a very well filtered USB power adapter. Don't know if it's the same for 2018 but on my 2014 the GPS power cord comes from the radio. A USB adapter I connected to the GPS power cord sent so much RF noise into the radio the radio was too noisy to listen to.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Found it! It's on the right on the 2017 as well. Thanks!

Spyder Garage

On a 2016 RT Limited, how do I remove the harness that goes to the “former” factory mount. The GPS was absent when we bought our Spyder and they’re too expensive to replace so we removed the mount and cut the wires where they came out of the mount. Probably the wrong thing to do but it’s done. I want to remove it totally so it doesn’t affect the bike. Please let me know how to take it out. Thanks!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RowdyScamp View Post
    Good question, the supply is protected and if you draw too much current it switches off... don't ask how I know. Sorry, I don't know the threshold after which is cuts off.

Quote Originally Posted by KellySpyder
    On a 2016 RT Limited, how do I remove the harness that goes to the “former” factory mount.
    The harness passes through the bar's centre then on over to the right side where is passes alongside the fuel tank to two connectors, one for electrical power and the other for audio out from the GPS and into the radio system. When the right side panels are removed the cable can be pulled out and disconnected. It would be best to protect the now unguarded connectors from moisture ingress.
    Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
    Rule#1: Refer to rule #2.

Spyder Garage

Thank you so much, we got it out!!