Spyder Garage

Default Spyder RS oil consumption on hard driving

I'm pretty aggressive with my driving. I run high into rpm range alot and hit some high speeds. I noticed that I've been going through alot of oil. I just put a quart in yesterday and it still doesn't show up on the dipstick. I know how to check the oil so it's not that.

Could I really be burning up over a quart of oil? I'm going to pick up some more oil tomorrow and see how much it actually takes. I'm still about 800-900 miles away from an oil change.
    2013 RS , Custom black and green

Spyder Garage

Default How often.....

How often do you check the oil on your ryde...?? you should after a long ryde or about every 500 miles. I ryde hard and run usually most of the time between 6 and 8 thousand rpms and the weather is quite warm around here. I don't know how much as I just top it off but it would not be unusual to use that much on a long period between level checks. I generally check the oil when I come in from a ryde as the engine is at operating temp and takes but a minute or two....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

My 2009 RS has 31,000 miles on it. About 1400 since the last oil change and it is still just a bit below the Full line. But I cruise at 5000 - 5500 rpm and don’t ride that hard. Shift at 5500 - 6000 rpm.
    David Petrick
    Certified Professional Photographer
    2020 Limited Dark , Magma Red Black

Spyder Garage

The 998s can easily burn a quart per thousand miles if pushed hard. Much less than that is the norm but they do burn oil. Much of it through the pcv system at high RPM. There is a reason you are supposed to check the oil every 500 miles....

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    How often do you check the oil on your ryde...?? you should after a long ryde or about every 500 miles. I ryde hard and run usually most of the time between 6 and 8 thousand rpms and the weather is quite warm around here. I don't know how much as I just top it off but it would not be unusual to use that much on a long period between level checks. I generally check the oil when I come in from a ryde as the engine is at operating temp and takes but a minute or two....
    LOL - so you ride ''MOST'' of the time between 133 and 178kph !!!
    2009 GS SE5 , Red (Ferrari Red :) )

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Haikanko View Post
    LOL - so you ride ''MOST'' of the time between 133 and 178kph !!!
    Not if MOST of that time the Spyder is in First & Second Gear, with an occasional foray into Third, maybe as you blast thru the looong sweeping twisties!!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    "Takes just a minute or two" ???
    My owners manual says to let the engine idle for 10 minutes before turning off and then check the oil level..
    Gary
    2017 RTL Asphalt Gray Metalic
    1987 BMW K75s

Spyder Garage

It took a quart and a half to get it back to full. I've just been driving it and every time i remember to check it the engine is cold. I've been checking it after longer rides now so I'll be able to see how much is getting burned off.
    2013 RS , Custom black and green

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My 2012 RS used about 1 quart between 4600 miles oil changes till about 18000 miles or so. Now it hardly uses any oil...maybe 1/4-1/2 quart between 4600 mile changes. I typically run in the 5500-7000 RPM range.

Spyder Garage

I was reading this thread and it reminded me of a video I saw. The fellow installed a Catch Can before the air filter to reduce the oil transfered from the PVC System to the air filter. I wonder how much oil actually is burned that way and how it might effect the oil usage, you've mentioned. Here's the link, He talks about the Catch Can at 4:50 into the video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXsOqAxOKmE&t=29s