Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default CAT removal legality?

I've read some posts regarding the CAT bypass pipes. My understanding is the federal law prohibits the removal of CAT from a vehicle manufactured with a CAT. So is it the case that the criminal aspect of removing a CAT from a car doesn't apply to motorcycles? Regardless of whether or not you are subject to emission testing, isn't it a criminal offense to remove a CAT from a vehicle manufactured with a CAT?

Aside from compromising an engineered exhaust system designed to satisfy specific performance goals, I don't want to engage in something that is illegal.

Not trying to instigate arguments. Just want to make sure I'm doing things that is within the law.

Spyder Garage

It depends on which state you live in most states like Texas consider it a low emission Vehicle so it does not have to go thru a emission test to get a State inspection
    2019 RT , lamonster ext brake pedal GRAY

Spyder Garage

From what I've read here on SL most states, i.e., all except CA, don't inspect motorcycles for emissions controls, only safety, so they don't care about the cat. While CA does not expect emissions either they do require the cat if it was on the vehicle at manufacture. I may be mistaken.
    Last edited by CopperSpyder; 09-13-2019 at 09:17 AM. Reason: Correct misspelling
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Last I knew, driving over the speed limit is illegal too. Probably more likely to get in trouble for speeding than killing a cat.

Seriously, somehow, somewhere in some law it is illegal to alter an emissions device. However, saying that, if you were to replace the exhaust on your car, with similar but non oem components, is that legal, or is it only legal if each item is stamped to be accordance with a federal standard.

Spyder Garage

Default Here's the thing..

Though at the time I know of nowhere you will get in trouble for removing the cat on motorcycles , if they came with one, this may become an issue in the future. I have been to many events and seen many ryders purchasing new exahaust which included removing the cat. Now most just tossed or left the cat with the people doing the installation who sold it for scrap or tossed it in the garbage. .... Now if in the future they do start inspecting and your make and model came from the factory with a cat they will expect it to be there but if you did not keep it you will not be able to re-install it and have to purchase a new one....at the tune of around $900.00. My suggestion has been to all to keep it just in case the time comes....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

My CAT escaped 5 years ago and I never found it. (nor am I ever going to look for it) It was a device mounted directly under the gas tank on the 2013 engine with the ( 2014) frame to boil the gas in the tank. I had one! Lazer gas temp exceeded 180*. I was a Test Bunny for the factory here in Tucson and the results were not good.
    Worst device ever invented for man kind on the face of the planet for Can AM three wheelers! Strong letter to follow!

Removing the CAT on the 2013 made no difference in heat generated because the exhaust also wrapped around the left side and directly under the gas tank also. This was all changed in 2014 with the correct 1330 engine in the 2013 designed frame which it was designed for. The engine was not ready for the newly designed 2013 frame so they retrofitted the old engine in the newly designed frame. This was a disaster.

CAT removal does sound better and have never heard of anyone ever having the slightest problem ever by removing it.

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post
    My CAT escaped 5 years ago and I never found it. (nor am I ever going to look for it) It was a device mounted directly under the gas tank on the 2013 engine with the ( 2014) frame to boil the gas in the tank. I had one! Lazer gas temp exceeded 180*. I was a Test Bunny for the factory here in Tucson and the results were not good.
    Worst device ever invented for man kind on the face of the planet for Can AM three wheelers! Strong letter to follow!

Removing the CAT on the 2013 made no difference in heat generated because the exhaust also wrapped around the left side and directly under the gas tank also. This was all changed in 2014 with the correct 1330 engine in the 2013 designed frame which it was designed for. The engine was not ready for the newly designed 2013 frame so they retrofitted the old engine in the newly designed frame. This was a disaster.

CAT removal does sound better and have never heard of anyone ever having the slightest problem ever by removing it.

Jack
    There must be a big difference between the 2015 F3's & your Spyder Jack. Jack--have you had your hearing tested lately--you may have lost 50% of your decibels --or hearing is sound frequency as women can hear a higher frequency than men. Save your money on that new expensive stereo you've been considering :-) bro Darrell
    2015 F3's , two 12 volt power outlets Orange & Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JTYALOR View Post
    It depends on which state you live in most states like Texas consider it a low emission Vehicle so it does not have to go thru a emission test to get a State inspection
    going through an emission test doesn't have anything to do with "legality". Of course it's federally illegal to tamper with any emission system on a street going
    vehicle. Kind of like a no brainer huh? Just like 80 % of the Harleys out there have tampered with their exhaust so it no longer would meet any kind of noise testing, which is something else the EPA tests for. So... thumb your nose if you want , or maintain the letter of the law, the choice is yours.
    Flatlander, Navy Veteran, Widower
    Loved my 2014 RTS SE6 Pearl white
    but have a new love now,
    my 2017 RTS SE6 Champagne metallic (Champ)

Spyder Garage

The actual name for that large hunk of SS in your exhaust up under the bike is the 'Primary Muffler'. It is not called out as a catalytic converter in the parts diagrams nor referred to that way in the service manuals. Not sure its name really changes anything, just pointing it out.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bcraig View Post
    I've read some posts regarding the CAT bypass pipes. My understanding is the federal law prohibits the removal of CAT from a vehicle manufactured with a CAT. So is it the case that the criminal aspect of removing a CAT from a car doesn't apply to motorcycles? Regardless of whether or not you are subject to emission testing, isn't it a criminal offense to remove a CAT from a vehicle manufactured with a CAT?

Aside from compromising an engineered exhaust system designed to satisfy specific performance goals, I don't want to engage in something that is illegal.

Not trying to instigate arguments. Just want to make sure I'm doing things that is within the law.
    It is illegal to remove a catalytic converter from any vehicle operated on public highways if it comes from the factory with one . That being said, there is virtually zero enforcement for motorcycles.

As for 'compromising an engineered exhaust system designed to satisfy specific performance goals'. You might ask yourself, 'Who's goals?' and 'To satisfy whom?'

It is the government who is setting these 'Goals' which must be 'Satisfied'. It is not the manufacturer, their engineers or necessarily the consumer. The manufacturer meets the government requirements while attempting to give the consumer as much performance, fuel mileage and reliability as they can, at a reasonable cost. These goals are definitely compromised by emission requirements.

Since we have a 'Government by the people'. The end result is ideally meeting everyone's expectations. Unfortunately, such a perfect world does not exist.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 09-14-2019 at 03:30 PM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

any warranty issues with removing cat ?

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

" Cat removal " ….. I seem to re-call as far as re-moval of it ….. No one other than the OWNER can legally do it …… the problem arises if your State has an OBD type sniffer test, the vehicle in question will Fail without the " cat " …… further legal research needs to be done to verify this …… good luck …. Mike

Spyder Garage

I had the same question before I installed a CAT bypass. I was told by my dealer that PA doesn't require emissions sticker for motorcycles, so CAT delete is legal in PA.
    I saved the CAT just in case anyway - I can always install it back if required.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyderbear View Post
    any warranty issues with removing cat ?
    Based on the user manual - yes!
    However, several forum members have said they've never had problems with warranty claims even with the CAT bypass.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It's all going to depend on what the dealer's service manager says or does.

Spyder Garage

I was told it was not a catilytic convertor. But more of a resonator . That is on a 1330cc engine. That being said in N.Y. State you can get a ticket for modifying an exhaust system system.

Spyder Garage

A catalytic converter converts bad exhaust into good exhaust using precious metals making them a target for theft. The primary muffler on the Spyder is just a hot steel can with chambers. It is not a catalytic converter.
    2017 F3 Limited
    2017 F3 Limited , Lamonster Black Dymond brake pedal with brake rod at #5 Pure Magnesium Metallic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    The actual name for that large hunk of SS in your exhaust up under the bike is the 'Primary Muffler'. It is not called out as a catalytic converter in the parts diagrams nor referred to that way in the service manuals. Not sure its name really changes anything, just pointing it out.
    I've seen mufflers--lifted & carried mufflers & the same with catalytic converters. I agree with what the book says it is, -but it is a catalytic converter--not a muffler.
    One more thing---I believe the Federal regulation requires new built vehicles to make an astounding 50 mpg in the year 2025. Along with that I'm fairly sure the Federal Regulation on
    smog testing will become more stringent in the next following years.
    Darrell

PS: I stand corrected: the official name is "Exhaust Emission System" for that part. One OEM part distributor named it "Primary Muffler Exhaust emission component"

What is the purpose of an exhaust emission system?

Your vehicle’s exhaust system is designed to take care of toxic emissions your car produces. It will 1) direct harmful gases away from the driver and passengers, and 2) reduce the emissions your car releases into the environment, helping keep the air clean. An additional benefit is that the exhaust system significantly reduces the amount of noise your car makes. An exhaust system in working order will keep your car sounding pleasant as it runs and will reduce noxious gases.

Looks like a Cat, Walks like a Cat, Talks like a Cat, & works identical to a Cat. Auto industry has found a way to avoid the expensive material & get the same results as a Catalytic for a motorcycle.

Spyder Garage

IMG_1072[1].jpg
    Cat.jpg

My manual for our 2015 Spyder calls it a cat. Photo of inside shows a catalyst.
    2015 RTL , Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Wildrice View Post
    There must be a big difference between the 2015 F3's & your Spyder Jack. Jack--have you had your hearing tested lately--you may have lost 50% of your decibels --or hearing is sound frequency as women can hear a higher frequency than men. Save your money on that new expensive stereo you've been considering :-) bro Darrell
    Sorry about the late reply. The CAT removal under normal use is barely louder than with the CAT. Only with wrapping it (or stepping on the tail) will it produce a sound louder than normal. I have thrown the CAT out on all my sport vehicles. Honestly don't notice a significant difference in power either. You will lose about 20 lbs. and reduce some heat.

Most my hearing loss is from seven years traveling with my Rock n' Roll Band.

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

My 2017 F3T came off of the dealer showroom floor with out the tin can underneath.

T.P.

Spyder Garage

Have to agree with Jack,my RLS cat delete makes a bare difference in sound level,and that's ok with me! The coating did make a noticeable difference in foot heat and the whole thing is netting me about 5mpg more! Been on my 18 RT for about 3000mi now.Run's fine,won't comment on power gains without dyno runs.

Girard OH (summer) Greenville SC (winter)
    Spyder Garage

There were some folks in our area that were making a brisk business of stealing CATs from parked cars to get the platinum and palladium. Their favorite target was church vans, normally parked outdoors and easy to get under to cut the cat. If you delete yours, save it for the precious metals.

Here's some info: https://auto.howstuffworks.com/catalytic-converter.htm
    to see my 2016 F3-T and many how to's
    2016 F3-T SE6 Roadster , Extended brake pedal for which I drilled out the brake rod yolk to lower it and added spacers to lift it slightly Black/Grey

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post
    Sorry about the late reply. The CAT removal under normal use is barely louder than with the CAT. Only with wrapping it (or stepping on the tail) will it produce a sound louder than normal. I have thrown the CAT out on all my sport vehicles. Honestly don't notice a significant difference in power either. You will lose about 20 lbs. and reduce some heat.

Most my hearing loss is from seven years traveling with my Rock n' Roll Band.

Jack
    aka "jaherbst"

Jack You were the only band member to show up on a motorcycle with a guitar strapped to it :-)
    I heard Aerosmith from the front 2nd row--my ears are still ringing d

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    " Cat removal " ….. I seem to re-call as far as re-moval of it ….. No one other than the OWNER can legally do it …… the problem arises if your State has an OBD type sniffer test, the vehicle in question will Fail without the " cat " …… further legal research needs to be done to verify this …… good luck …. Mike
    I had a 2001 Tahoe with the cat removed, I did weld the cage back up around the bypass pipe to pass visual inspection, never once failed the "ODB sniff test in IL.
    IMHO cats doing nothing for emissions and that further proved it to me.