Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default No More Cat Delete for Me

I have the Stage 2 upgrade on a 2015 F3's. I initially tried the Cat Delete from one vendor with poor low end torque on the stock ECU. After the Stage 2 upgrade many had stated their performance was great. It's been very hot mid 90's degrees thus it may not be totally fair, But my 2015 F3's has better torque off the line with the Cat installed. BTW I've read several people state the Cat weighs 30 lbs. Mine weighs 17 lbs.
    The absolute worst part of the Cat Delete is the noise on the freeway at 75-80 mph. I could not tolerate a long drive with this obnoxious blaring in my right ear. Couldn't even hear my audio system. I have the Chrome Akrapovic Straight Shot Muffler .

On the positive side I had 2 different style spring hooks--the wire based spring hook from Doc at Roadster Restorations is the Best. The straight bar hook is not good for the two harder to reach springs. Also a suggestion from "ZUMI" to tie a strap to the spring hook & use the leg for strength in stretching the spring was Excellent.
    I ran this Cat delete pipe without any baffle. Now I have my 2nd Cat Delete pipe up for sale for $165 including shipping to 48 states. This Cat delete pipe has 50 miles on it-thus almost new & comes with the bar type spring hook & a baffle that has two opening options.
    SOLD :-))))
    2015 F3's , two 12 volt power outlets Orange & Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Wildrice View Post
    I have the Stage 2 upgrade on a 2015 F3's. I initially tried the Cat Delete from one vendor with poor low end torque on the stock ECU. After the Stage 2 upgrade many had stated their performance was great. It's been very hot mid 90's degrees thus it may not be totally fair, But my 2015 F3's has better torque off the line with the Cat installed. BTW I've read several people state the Cat weighs 30 lbs. Mine weighs 17 lbs.
    The absolute worst part of the Cat Delete is the noise on the freeway at 75-80 mph. I could not tolerate a long drive with this obnoxious blaring in my right ear. Couldn't even hear my audio system.

On the positive side I had 2 different style spring hooks--the wire based spring hook from Doc at Roadster Restorations is the Best. The straight bar hook is not good for the two harder to reach springs. Also a suggestion from "ZUMI" to tie a strap to the spring hook & use the leg for strength in stretching the spring was Excellent.
    I ran this Cat delete pipe without any baffle. Now I have my 2nd Cat Delete pipe up for sale for $165 including shipping to 48 states. This Cat delete pipe has 50 miles on it-thus almost new & comes with the bar type spring hook & a baffle that has another opening option.
    I never really understood why people sacrifice low end torque for a louder exhaust and more top end. How often are most people going to use top end? you're always going to use/need low end torque. I want that torque getting on the freeway or scooting across an intersection.

Spyder Garage

Exactly--I've hit 118 mph on a slow freeway day but that opportunity is very rare with possible negative results. 99.9% of my riding is in or close to posted speed limit especially since traffic won't allow other. Low end torque is big with me---thank you for your comment & also my neighbor thanks you :-))))

Spyder Garage

I agree with the sentiments. However, I think there must be better ways to achieve the needed back pressure other than using a catalytic converter. Though I know the Cat is a plug and play, 'already have that on the shelf' option.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    I agree with the sentiments. However, I think there must be better ways to achieve the needed back pressure other than using a catalytic converter. Though I know the Cat is a plug and play, 'already have that on the shelf' option.
    Ron--I agree with you also--somehow find how much restriction is caused via the Cat & match it with a baffle--however the fix also needs to eliminate the annoying noise--it's at one of those frequencies that really irritate. The noise isn't bad at 45 mph but getting to 70 mph & above--just cruising with freeway traffic--turn off the radio--can't hear it anyway & I could live without the radio but not that noise frequency.

Spyder Garage

I was wondering about droning sounds. I see that to OP is using a Akra exhaust. I was/am considering the cat delete with my OEM muffler. Can you share details with your cat delete pipe thru a PM ? Thx
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Girard OH (summer) Greenville SC (winter)
    Spyder Garage

This is sure to get me in hot water. No cat delete for me not because of the sound, but I'd like my great grandkids to be able to breathe on this planet.
    to see my 2016 F3-T and many how to's
    2016 F3-T SE6 Roadster , Extended brake pedal for which I drilled out the brake rod yolk to lower it and added spacers to lift it slightly Black/Grey

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I wrapped my cat delete baffle with ceramic wrap and shoved that into the cat delete pipe. I was amazed how quiet it was, thinking it was going to sound like the Fast And Furious cars if I didn't do the ceramic wrap.

Spyder Garage

Not that this company makes the anti-reversion chambers for a Spyder, but this is one of the best explanations I have seen to explain the problem of reversion with pipes that have little or no restriction.

https://crateinsider.com/using-anti-...te-free-power/
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

How does it run?..with the cat back on with the stage II and the straight shot pipe?...as in take off?

Spyder Garage

I've been under the impression that if a vehicle was manufactured with a CAT, it could not be eliminated.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bcraig View Post
    I've been under the impression that if a vehicle was manufactured with a CAT, it could not be eliminated.
    This is true per Federal emissions law. If you live in an area that does annual emissions testing, easy enough to swap around.
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by troop View Post
    This is true per Federal emissions law. If you live in an area that does annual emissions testing, easy enough to swap around.
    There are no areas that do annual emissions testing on motorcycles. Not even California.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Default It's a chore....

Can get costly to find the right combination of handling, comfort and performance. I would venture to say the main ones being comfort and handling. Noise being one for the comfort side. It is a choice like or preference to have a melow to loud sound and it depends on the ryding you do. Glad your getting to your comfort level for you are the important one here. Weight (17 to 30lbs) will make little difference and many do not use the full range of torque and topend on these machines.
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Gwolf View Post
    Not that this company makes the anti-reversion chambers for a Spyder, but this is one of the best explanations I have seen to explain the problem of reversion with pipes that have little or no restriction.

https://crateinsider.com/using-anti-...te-free-power/
    I must say I have never heard of an anti-reversion muffler & I read the article three times & still wondered how it effected the Spyder. Would this anti-reversion muffler be used With or Without a Cat or is it just for race vehicles that maintain a higher rpm on the track?? Almost all track records are set in the earlier part of morning which is when atmospheric pressure is best.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    There are no areas that do annual emissions testing on motorcycles. Not even California.
    This information is not correct. There are counties in Virginia that have mandatory emission testing for all vehicles on the road. They have to display a valid sticker on their car windshields or cycle fairing. Riding with my Virginia friend who has a 2016 BUICK WITH ONLY 8,000 MILES, I asked what the sticker was for? He said his county requires an emissions test for EVERY vehicle and the sticker is only good for a couple of years.
    Adding insult to injury, there is not enough testing centers to meet the need. You have to book an appointment 6 to 8 months only to get a notice that they are delaying your appointment because of over-booking.
    I also have heard of emission testing in Milwaukee WI. If an officer spots a car that appears to be polluting, they send them in for testing. Seems any vehicle over a certain age gets a notice to come in for testing?
    In the north west area near Milwaukee police set up a decibel meter on the side of the road. If a vehicle or cycle trips the threshold of the limits, they get pulled over down the road and are given a more comprehensive decibel test. Every Harley with a straight pipe trips the alarm then FAILS the real test. They are given tickets for vehicle emissions tampering and are required to fix the issue and get re-certified.
    Just wanted to share what I have seen for myself and not second hand info.
    Dennis

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Illinois has emissions testing but not for motorcycles.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by trikermutha View Post
    I wrapped my cat delete baffle with ceramic wrap and shoved that into the cat delete pipe. I was amazed how quiet it was, thinking it was going to sound like the Fast And Furious cars if I didn't do the ceramic wrap.
    So you stuffed heat shield into the inside of the Cat Delete pipe?? Seems like the airflow would rearrange the stuffed pastern, or cause more restriction than the Cat itself. Has anything about the acceleration or noise that has changed over the last 200 miles??

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

So you stuffed heat shield into the inside of the Cat Delete pipe?? Seems like the airflow would rearrange the stuffed pastern, or cause more restriction than the Cat itself. Has anything about the acceleration or noise that has changed over the last 200 miles??
    No I wrapped it around the baffle for the cat delete. So those holes on the side of the baffle are covered with the ceramic wrap.
    But the air flow still goes straight thru the baffle on out.
    I did not want the bike to sound like a raspy annoying car . It actually is close to stock sound maybe a bit deeper tone.
    I have thousands of miles on this setup and have no noise problems or performance issues.

Still running stock mufflers.

I do want to see if I can turn the exhaust tips at some point but no hurry for that yet.

Spyder Garage

Been there done that with a Harley Davidson. Everybody, including me, just has to change the exhaust, air intake, power commander, dyno blah blah blah. Those days are long over for me. Stock it is.
    John F.
    Tallahassee, FL

2015 Spyder F3 SE6, black
    BRP Driver/passenger Footboards
    BRP Adjustable Passenger Backrest
    Blue Ridge Windshield
    MRA X-Creen Tour, clear, clamp-on
    H4 LED Headlights
    F3 LED Fog Light Kit, LED Amber Halo Ring Kit, LED Tail Lights, F3 Rear run/brake/turn LEDs
    Easy Brackets
    Leatherworks, Inc. 120 Special Slight Angle Saddlebags
    Custom Dynamics Front Mud Flap LED lights, Street Magic Front Fender Tips, Double Feature Lens
    2-up rear shock
    Idler pulley kit

Spyder Garage

I took off mine as well, i loved the sound but couldnt stand the smell of fumes. Dont want to take chance inhaling fumes for thousand of miles.
    2015 Canam Spyder F3-S SE6
    Detachable Passenger backrest #219400703
    Gauge Spoiler #219400531
    Blue Ridge Windshield #219400746
    Hood stripes decal kit #219400711
    F3 Idler Pulley #219800431 / Lamonster roller upgrade
    Bajaron SwayBar
    Elka Stage 2 rear shock
    Arc LED fog lights
    Lamonster F3 bar clamp with Quad-lock phone mount
    Foam Hand Grip Covers
    Tufskinz Peel & Stick Tank Protector Pad (Glossy doomed carbon)

Spyder Garage

Ron--I agree with you also--somehow find how much restriction is caused via the Cat & match it with a baffle--however the fix also needs to eliminate the annoying noise--it's at one of those frequencies that really irritate. The noise isn't bad at 45 mph but getting to 70 mph & above--just cruising with freeway traffic--turn off the radio--can't hear it anyway & I could live without the radio but not that noise frequency.
    Droning or a raspy exhaust note are definitely out for me as well. I'm dealing with a completely different animal in the 998 where the cat was in the muffler. So I can't personally speak to the 1330 cat delete issue. I can say that I am very happy with the Yoshimura I have been running for about 20k. It is the culmination of my efforts and my 4th muffler choice to get it right. I have the baffle/restricter in, but I am sure it still flows more freely than stock. It also weighs a lot less. I forget how much less. I think the sound is great. Light throttle and cruise are repetitively quiet and quite nice. WOT sounds very aggressive, but not harsh.

I am still dealing with a bit of pop when I open the throttle slightly during decel. I haven't quite figured out if it is too much or not enough fuel doing this.

Finding the right combination can be difficult. And everyone has a different idea of what the right combination actually is.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 09-13-2019 at 05:51 PM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

i have stage 2 flash i am running cat delete with baffle and the stock can not to loud just enough i have been 120 mph on the highway and there is more there but ran into traffic the performance is awesome 16 f3 limited triple

Spyder Garage

I noticed that all the people here with the cat delete was running a straight pipe..WITHOUT a resonator..that's the difference between RLS and the others..lamonster..two bros....hmf.....so when you're running between 75 And 85 mph..you don't hear the drone noise...it's a little louder.....but....it's deeper...with no additional baffles....that resonator is very important....which is also
    on your car/truck....to remove the drone noise....I had a straight pipe....and got rid of it...a straight pipe with baffles is not enough... again a full resonator is what's needed..it does matter.

Spyder Garage

I also run the RLS and Akrapovic Sinister and stage 2 nice deep tone too it. Even at speeds 80 plus cruising I can listen to music and talk to friend on Sena. If you go full throttle it does go loud but it does not hurt ears. Driving normal it’s not loud just deep sounding.

I took off RLS today and installed stock cat with sinister really tones sound down not as deep sound I have with RLS.
    With stock Cat on it does not give me more bottom end like other people say it does. It actually has a bit slower throttle response. Also slower throttle mid to upper rpms.
    More heat on legs and engine runs hotter notice my fans turning on while driving through neighbour hood. Only in the low 70s tonight.
    If you want real quiet keep your stock Cat on and go with stage one stage 2 will run hotter with Stock Cat on.

As for smelling fumes with delete pipe I only smell fumes that are coming from the bike in front of me not from mine.
    2017 F3S Daytona 500 SM6

Low Brow fenders
    Bobber kit
    Fox Podium 1.5 Front shocks
    Fox podium 2.0 Rear Shocks
    Baja Ron Sway bar