Spyder Garage

Question Rattling Exhaust

My 2012 RT has an exhaust issue. Whenever I back off the throttle or slow down for a light, etc., the exhaust makes a rattling noise (only happens when slowing down, backing off the throttle, never when speeding up or cruising). It not a "something is loose" kind of noise, but comes from inside the main exhaust unit. Bad baffles, maybe? I'm thinking about removing the outer cover to see if its anything obvious. It has no impact on the bike's operation or anything, but it sounds lousy...almost tinny. Any ideas on what may be the cause? I don't have the $$$ to bring it to the dealer because they'll probably tell me to replace the whole exhaust system, and since the only issue is the rattling sound, I'm not going to replace the entire thing.

Spyder Garage

I'm leaning out of my foxhole a bit on this one because I don't know much about the '12 RTs, but have read here on SL about the gaskets between the headers and the cat and the cat and the muffler wearing or not being properly positioned when the pipes are reassembled. With your description of "tinny" and a rattling sound that I would guess might be metal to metal where pipes meet I'd suggest worn gasket(s).
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    I'm leaning out of my foxhole a bit on this one because I don't know much about the '12 RTs, but have read here on SL about the gaskets between the headers and the cat and the cat and the muffler wearing or not being properly positioned when the pipes are reassembled. With your description of "tinny" and a rattling sound that I would guess might be metal to metal where pipes meet I'd suggest worn gasket(s).
    Thanks! I'll try to take a look. I don't have a "lift" so getting access to the exhaust (or any connections to it) is a real challenge. If I can get access, and it turns out to be a bad gasket, that should be easy to replace. Again, thanks for the suggestion!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by solidgranite View Post
    My 2012 RT has an exhaust issue. Whenever I back off the throttle or slow down for a light, etc., the exhaust makes a rattling noise (only happens when slowing down, backing off the throttle, never when speeding up or cruising). It not a "something is loose" kind of noise, but comes from inside the main exhaust unit. Bad baffles, maybe? I'm thinking about removing the outer cover to see if its anything obvious. It has no impact on the bike's operation or anything, but it sounds lousy...almost tinny. Any ideas on what may be the cause? I don't have the $$$ to bring it to the dealer because they'll probably tell me to replace the whole exhaust system, and since the only issue is the rattling sound, I'm not going to replace the entire thing.
    My 2010 RT did the same thing after the first year. When I remover the muffler and shook it there was a baffel that had come loose causing my rattle. I bought a take off from someone here on SL, replaced the doughnut gaskets and muffler at that time. All has been well ever since!!!!!!!!

Spyder Garage

My 2011 did the same thing for years. I thought it was a broken baffel. It does not do it any more. It did rattle for 3 years. Bruce
    New to Sue and I
    2021, LTD, Asphalt Gray, 22,000 miles
    Gone but not forgotten
    RTS 2011 SM5, 95,000 miles

Spyder Garage

First thing that came to mind was the "Y" pipe gasket. The second thing is a loose baffle inside the muffler, which is not uncommon at all. Most mufflers are stainless steel, which requires more care to weld than regular steel, so a small weld can break loose after many heat cycles.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Spyder Garage

HM, I started my '14 the other day - before I'd put in my ear plugs - and thought I heard something like that. I felt the heat shield and end cap and nothing is loose, so maybe I need to check the gaskets and connections. When doing my first oil change/maintenance on the tryke, I found out the PO had replaced the cat with one of those replacement pipes and done wrapping on the exhaust under there so maybe something has worked its way loose.
    2014 RT-S Orange - LED headlights/driving lights, LED under mirror turns, LED brake/run lights along trunk and saddlebags, LED third brake light, LED turn bulb replacements, Magic Mirrors, Voltmeter, Oil PSI gauge, heated gear connection, BRP backrest, dash Mount USB plug, Lamonster belt tensioner, Baja Ron sway bar, NBV highway pegs, BRP arm rests M2 suspension.
    2014 RT-S , Orange

Spyder Garage

Is the collar between the cat and the muffler tight?
    I have mine as tight as it will go and it still swivels. :-(

Spyder Garage

Not the oldest of posts or threads, but still, it was back in 2019 the last post in the thread before yours went in.... So it's probably a moot point for most of the previous posters by now!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!