Hybrid View

Spyder Garage

Default 2020 RT Center of Gravity

The Can AM website says the 2020 RT's have a lower center of gravity than previous models. That interests me a lot. Does anyone know how much lower the center of gravity is? I couldn't find that answer on their website.

Spyder Garage

The seat height is seven-tenths of an inch lower than previous RTs. Don't know if that's the entire reason to state "lower COG". But, I guess that is what they are referring to..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

I would think that unless one is racing it or loading it to the 494 lb limit with a pillion and "stuff" the 0.7" is inconsequential. The marketeers had to add a few more words for buzz.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

It is possible that they have done other things in the new design that would lower the CG more than just the lower seat height height.

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

The center of gravity is more then just seat height, the RT has changed so things (motor trans etc,) are probably a little lower and the RT is a touch longer so that might make a big difference. RT is now more like the F3 with more plastic. Will need to test drive one to see the difference between what we have now and the new 2020 model.
    Last edited by CopperSpyder; 09-14-2019 at 09:38 AM.
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

Thanks Copper. I agree. I'm going to test drive one as soon as my dealer has one.

Spyder Garage

My response (post #2) was meant to be a "tongue in cheek" response. I hate it when dealers/manufactures make claims and then don't, won't or can't provide facts to back up their claims. I think that lowering the seat height .7 inch is enough to claim a lower COG but absent any other data/facts I think that is all they want you to know..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Keep in mind that on the RT without the top case, the CG has instantly been lowered. Therefore, their statement of a lower center of gravity would be definitely true, even if they changed nothing else.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

By all appearances the new RT is using the F3 chassis with BRP "junking" the old chassis from the original RT. The F3 ride position is definitely a more sit in design rather than the RT sit on top of design, which could account for the claim of a lower CG.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Spyder Garage

The seat height on the new RT is still 3 inches higher than the F3L. So in can't have the same frame.
    2018 F3 Limited , Oxford Blue

Spyder Garage

Maybe. However, the difference could be exclusively in the fuel tank placement. The RT retains that under seat fueling while the F3 has the fuel located on top and in front of the rider in a traditional motorcycle position.

BRP isn't known for doing things the expensive way, but is known for cheaping out at times.

It would make financial sense for BRP to make a single frame and then change the swingarm and/or subframe to accommodate the differing fuel tank and stretched ergos. I suspect this is what BRP did. Single frame design, carry over the original RT fuel tank, then a lengthened swingarm and/or rear subframe. Changing plastic components is cheaply done and makes a huge difference in the look and feel, while being strictly cosmetic.

No proof mind you, just a suspicion.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6