Spyder Garage

Default Glove and Boot Recommendations

Hey all! I'm about to take my three wheeler class and see that I'll need gloves and boots. I have neither.

I figured since I'm buying anyway, might as get something I can use on my Can Am.

What do you all wear? I'm looking for something fairly lightweight as I am in California. Keeping my feet dry is probably a bigger concern than warmth.

As a noob, not looking to spend more than say about $100 on gloves and $250 on boots. I've seen some stuff by Alpine that looks good. The SMX R1 boots look comfy. As do the Oscar Robinson gloves.

I wear size 13 wide or size 14 regular shoes and have pretty big hands.

Thanks for the help!

Spyder Garage

I use the Alpinestar gloves that are touchscreen compatible so I can change songs and interact with the GPS on my phone if needed. They are leather and mesh construction but do get a bit warm in hot temps.

2013 RTS
    BajaRon Swaybar, BRP passenger armrests, JT's GoPro dash mount, Lidlox helmet locks, M2 Shocks, foam grips, Ultimate Seat, Magic Mirrors

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by senorgrand View Post
    Hey all! I'm about to take my three wheeler class and see that I'll need gloves and boots. I have neither.

I figured since I'm buying anyway, might as get something I can use on my Can Am.

What do you all wear? I'm looking for something fairly lightweight as I am in California. Keeping my feet dry is probably a bigger concern than warmth.

As a noob, not looking to spend more than say about $100 on gloves and $250 on boots. I've seen some stuff by Alpine that looks good. The SMX R1 boots look comfy. As do the Oscar Robinson gloves.

I wear size 13 wide or size 14 regular shoes and have pretty big hands. Thanks for the help!
    Wear something comfortable that you like. You don't need motorcycle gear since you won't be dragging your feet or your knuckles.
    2014 RTL Platinum

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

Lee Parks Design has some awesome gloves. http://leeparksdesign.com/

I like Tourmaster boots, currently wearing their WP Air boots, waterproof and breathable

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

thanks everyone -- I'm looking at several suggested products. Keep those cards and letters coming!

Spyder Garage

Fox Creek Leather, Made in USA. I have several pairs in different configurations. I like the out seam deerskin for moderate to warm temps.

https://www.foxcreekleather.com/gloves/

Spyder Garage

Each state has different requirements. Some states have no law that covers boots and gloves. You need to know what is required in the state you test. Assuming you are taking the test in California, here is part of what California DOT Motorcycle Handbook says;

It is highly suggested you wear:
    • Face and/or eye protection.
    • Protective apparel, such as a
    leather or long sleeve jacket
    with reflective material, long
    heavy pants, over the ankle
    closed-toe boots, and full-
    fingered leather gloves.
    More information on wearing the
    right gear and protective apparel
    is covered in the following pages.
    It is more of a suggestion than the law. Don't show up in short pants, flip flops, and fingerless gloves. Any good quality boots that support the ankle should be OK and full finger leather gloves of most any kind. Good quality motorcycle boots and gloves might make a better impression on the instructors.

Around page 9 or 10 you can find what the handbook has to say about being properly dressed to ride in California.

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/fo...l665mcycle.pdf
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

When I first got my Spyder I tried to use the footbrake and found that it was hard to flex my foot enough to easily push the pedal while wearing the boots I used on my GW.I looked into Motorcycle sneakers and bought a pair from Fly Racing(revzilla website),these are very flexible and make it easy to reach pedal.They are only water resistant but I have found that as long as your moving your feet are shielded from the rain but when I put my rainsuit on I also wear booties that cover the sneaker and they dont get wet at all in even total downpours.On a side note they look cool and you can wear them all day off or on the bike.They aren't clunky and have good ankle support.As far as gloves go I haven't found a pair yet that I like.
    :
    : 2017 RTL ORBITAL BLUE

Spyder Garage

Check out Bates boots. They have a couple motorcycle-specific boots which I did not care for the styling. I bought another model that is a 6” lace-up with a zipper. Apparently a popular choice for beat cops. They are light, comfortable and waterproof. Great for walking in too.
    2017 F3 Limited , Gloss Black with red and carbon fiber accents

Spyder Garage

For boots I wear a pair of summer hiking boots. Sturdy construction and lots of mesh for breathability.

Spyder Garage

Two things are in your favor.

You live in CA which is mostly moderate temperatures.

You are NOT required to buy specific motorcycle gear to ride.

Boots: in my 55 years of motorcycle/Spyder riding...I have never purchased specific branded boots like HD or CanAm. Those $79 Engineer boots that you can find work more than sufficient. For an extra $10 or so, you can even get steel toes.

If you prefer lower cut...then lower cut hiking boots are more than sufficient. I have started wearing those since I moved to AR.

Gloves: Likewise for gloves. Any mc shop will have nice light weight gloves for warmer weather. $29 - $49 will buy good stuff. I have a pair of fingerless and another pair of full fingered light that I use for warm weather riding. You can also find medium, heavy, and gauntlet type for colder weather riding. Once again...gloves are gloves...you don't have to pay an extra $100 - $150 for a decal on the leather.

Enjoy your class.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 09-12-2019 at 09:58 AM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post

Boots: in my 55 years of motorcycle/Spyder riding...I have never purchased specific branded boots like HD or CanAm. Those $79 Engineer boots that you can find work more than sufficient. For an extra $10 or so, you can even get steel toes.

If you prefer lower cut...then lower cut hiking boots are more than sufficient. I have started wearing those since I moved to AR.

Gloves: Likewise for gloves. Any mc shop will have nice light weight gloves for warmer weather. $29 - $49 will buy good stuff. I have a pair of fingerless and another pair of full fingered light that I use for warm weather riding. You can also find medium, heavy, and gauntlet type for colder weather riding. Once again...gloves are gloves...you don't have to pay an extra $100 - $150 for a decal on the leather.

Enjoy your class.
    For really hot weather I have these fingerless gloves https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

thanks!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post

Enjoy your class.
    Plus 1 on that. Been riding for 60 years and I wear regular engineer or harness boots. Wear soft deer skin work gloves from the gardening debt of Lowe's which are about $15 a pair during most of the year and Hollofil gauntlet gloves during the colder months.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

I got almost five years and 62K+ miles out of my Tourmaster mesh gloves and just replaced them with a pair of Tourmaster Summer Elite 3 gloves, https://www.tourmaster.com/inc/sdeta..._glove/122/416. They come as large as 3XL.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Another vote for Bates boots. I have very unusual feet. (Size 10 1/2 6E) Bates are very comfortable, lightweight, warm and dry. As far as gloves, I like unlined deerskin. I find that deerskin is soft and warm and don't need lining. The unline gloves makes it easy to find the little buttons needed to change things on the bike. Olympic makes a good unlined deerskin with a good size gauntlet to keep the wind from blowing up your sleeves..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Vote for Bates boots. You can get them cheap on Amazon and they are great. They are even a bit wider than normal shoes and are very comfortable.

Active Member NorthAlabamaSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I still wear my Cruiserworks from my Goldwing days when I wear boots.
    2019 F3-T and some extra stuff

Spyder Garage

I have ridden 2 wheel for awhile and found that different gear works best for different bikes and people.
    Start with simple school required, state legal required and ride some to figure what works for you.

Very Active Member SpyderConvert's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I wear hiking boots and deerskin or elk skin (Alpinestar) gloves.
    2015 RTL, BajaRon Swaybar, LaMonster LED Headlights and Foglights, LaMonster Spydercuff, LaMonster LED mirror wrap, Magic Mirrors, HMT Brake Light
    2015 RT Ltd. , $" extension Black

Spyder Garage

The deerskins are great used em for years
    https://www.aerostich.com/clothing/g...eerskin-gloves