Spyder Garage

Default How many miles are too many to buy a Spyder?

I'm looking at getting a Spyder, ride a two wheeler at the moment. How many miles are too many when looking into purchasing a used Spyder?

Spyder Garage

Spyders are getting to be known to tolerate higher mileages without drama, aside from individual gremlins here and there. I would opine the ACE 1330 engine is more durable than the original L-twin 996 Rotax engine. I've had both and greatly prefer the 1330 triple and would stick to that platform. Usually there are plenty of low mileage Spyders available on the used market, so I wouldn't jump onto a high miler too quickly unless it's been well cared for and well maintained. With that being said, anything under 100k miles wouldn't overly scare me, but I would stick to the 20k mile range just to be safe. But, that's me. YMMV
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Spyder Garage

The more miles, the more wear and tear, witch will be the more things to wear out and fix! I think I would be more concerned about the year, not mileage!! The reason I say that is the factory is only going to make parts for a model so long then they stop!! Luckily the rt model runs a lot of years with out much changes in body panels, but they did do motor changes. Now they have changed it all up, so give it some thought! It sucks when you try to use and keep a old piece of iron going because you love it so much, and can not get the parts to fix it! That's my two cents!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Zanico View Post
    ........ How many miles are too many when looking into purchasing a used Spyder?
    Haven't found a real answer to that one...... yet!

But there are a number of us Spyder Ryders out there with machines that have odometers getting up there in the 6 whole numbers range now, and that number is growing every day!

How many miles there are on a well maintained & regularly used Spyder shouldn't really be a major concern.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Miles shouldn't be the issue. A 2010 with 5K miles or a 2010 with 100K miles, I would take the higher mileage. If you have ever purchased an older car that got just a thousand miles a year on it, you would see the problems of a vehicle that sits a lot. Without proper maintenance (because it doesn't have many miles on it) the fuel system and engine will need some work done. I made that mistake once and the money I saved buying the older vehicle with low miles cost me a lot of money to get it running right.

There are tons of bikes out there with high mileage that run well. Normal wear and tear happens whether you ride the hell out of a bike or not.
    2018 Spyder ST Limited , Asphalt Gray

Spyder Garage

I bought new because I like warranties, but there are many stories of good used machines finding new homes. Key for me would the to establish that any recalls have been properly handled, and a documented maintenance history.

MWO (Ret'd) SJ Barnes
    ‘20 RTL Stone Grey
    named Britannia in honour of EE Doc Smith’s
    Grey Lensman’s ship.
    Farkles:
    Bestem Carplay
    canamsypderaccessories hitch and wiring harness,
    showchrome trunk rack,
    12v AND dual USB direct to battery in the frunk,
    dual USB switched in the blank console switch spot (parasites the power off the seat heater switch),
    frunk lid organizer,
    trunk organizer,
    showchrome rider backrest,
    ryder and passenger cup holders,
    ram mount for the iPad mini I use for GPS
    quadlock phone mount
    Nautilus horn
    Data blocker on the glove box USB
    Big Bike Parts highway pegs
    Spyderzone dash pouch
    Convex mirrors

‘20 Ryker 900 (my wife’s ryde)
    Farkles
    Slingmods fwd/rev ‘suicide shifter’
    frunk organizer
    dual horn
    Max mount
    Rear seat with tall back rest (not mounted)
    Ryder backrest (not mounted)
    Side bag
    Top bag

top bag makes a good backrest. Will swap on the rear seat if she ever wants to 2up
    2020 RT Limited , Stone Gray

Very Active Member bodymanpainter's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I would not be too worried about the mileage as these machines if maintained will last
    a long time. I would however pass on and older bike with very low mileage because it
    has sat most of it's life and will need a lot of things replaced and checked before it will
    be safe to ride! I know this for sure as I am still working on a garage queen I bought back
    in Feb, (07 VTX 1300R with 4200 miles).

Toby
    2020 RTL

Spyder Garage

If it has been well maintained, I wouldn't worry about mileage. There are a number of Spyders out there with well over 100,000 miles on them. I'd be more concerned with an older Spyder with very few miles on it.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Those talking about well maintained are on the money. We do hear of Spyders going up to 100,000 and more.

The secret on a used one...is that if you get a well maintained one...you are probably going to be safest with high mileage expectations.

Me personally...I have always purchased new. I like that minimum two year warranty. I went extended only one time so far...and that was a freebie from BRP.

My comfort zone on a used would be 20K to 30K miles. One good thing, you can have any dealer run the VIN and they can get you the entire service history of the machine you are interested in. I now have two bikes that I kept over 40K. Traded off the 2011 at 42K but still have the 2014 at 43K. I would have sold either bike to a friend were that the situation.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

The Spyder I am looking at is a 2014 RT. It has 22,000 miles on it and that concerned me a bit. Your replies have put me more at ease. Now I hope he has good maintenance records.
    Thanks a ton for your inputs!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have a 2015 RT W/7k. I travel for work but keep all maintenance and more up to date.

Spyder Garage

22000 miles? I would buy it in a heartbeat if it looks as if it was cared for.
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

IMO, the Spyder you are looking at could be a steal if, as Navydad says has been well cared for and maintained. Get the VIN from the seller and ask a BRP dealership to run it to verify dealership maintenance. If the seller is a DIYer ask to see records. You yourself can check for safety recalls at this web site, https://can-am.brp.com/on-road/us/en...y-recalls.html.

Be certain the seller has TWO chipped ignition keys. If he doesn't knock of $50 or so because you will want a second key that must be purchased from and programmed by a dealership.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Zanico View Post
    The Spyder I am looking at is a 2014 RT. It has 22,000 miles on it and that concerned me a bit. Your replies have put me more at ease. Now I hope he has good maintenance records.
    Thanks a ton for your inputs!!
    That one is just getting broken in. I have one, 43K miles, and NEVER a mechanical problem.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Rotax makes one of the best Small engines in the industry, they have for decades..... An example of reliability might be that more " Ultra-light " type aircraft are powered by Rotax than any other engine I've ever heard of.... when you are a couple hundred feet ( or more ) above the ground, with few options if the engine fails, Reliability is your #1 concern ...... jmho ..... Mike