Spyder Garage

Default Proper Ride Height for an RT

I have my Elka Stage 2 shock set up to a feel that works for me. Preload of springs set to 9 3/8 inch on the extra heavy 10 inch springs.

I measure the ride height at 18 1/4. (measuring from top to bottom shock mounting bolt)

Is this too high??? do I need a shorter spring??? If a lower the preload, its too "loose" when turning!

Here in the Fox shocks install instructions that show ride height of 17 1/2

Fox info::::::
    Verification conditions:
    - Vehicle on a level surface
    - Normal cargo load
    - Rider and passenger taking place on the vehicle.
    Measure the distance between the upper and lower shock absorber mounting bolts.
    Recommended Preload
    445  mm (17-1/2 in)
    (rider+passenger+cargo)

Spyder Garage

I don't think you can impose Fox instructions upon your Elkas. Different shocks, springs, compression rates, etc. I know the OEM RT front shocks measure 18 3/4 inches center line bolt hole top to bottom. That measurement is on uninstalled shocks with the OEM spring assembly installed. If I remember correctly, my Elkas have a static ride height of 18 1/2 and that would be, of course, lower with me on board. Probably about the same as yours. My advice, if it feels good to you, don't worry and just ride..... Jim

BTW The preload on my Elka springs is set to 9.0 inches. When I set the preload up I followed instructions regarding static and loaded (sag) heights. I have long forgotten the specifics but a search on this forum should find them. Good luck.....
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Genradman View Post
    I have my Elka Stage 2 shock set up to a feel that works for me. Preload of springs set to 9 3/8 inch on the extra heavy 10 inch springs.

I measure the ride height at 18 1/4. (measuring from top to bottom shock mounting bolt)

Is this too high??? do I need a shorter spring??? If a lower the preload, its too "loose" when turning!

Here in the Fox shocks install instructions that show ride height of 17 1/2

Fox info::::::
    Verification conditions:
    - Vehicle on a level surface
    - Normal cargo load
    - Rider and passenger taking place on the vehicle.
    Measure the distance between the upper and lower shock absorber mounting bolts.
    Recommended Preload
    445  mm (17-1/2 in)
    (rider+passenger+cargo)
    I think your ride height should be measured in terms of Ground Clearance ….. imho that's the ride height ….. good luck …. Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I think your ride height should be measured in terms of Ground Clearance ….. imho that's the ride height ….. good luck …. Mike
    I agree. A good way to measure ride height is from the nose of the Spyder to the ground on a flat surface with no load in the front trunk and the rider in the saddle. This gives you a good point of reference to start with in adjusting your front shocks to achieve this same height with the intended travel loading. Then you can experiment from there to find your 'Sweet Spot'.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

We set Spyder ride with “A” arms level, and air bag filled. YMMV
    Joe
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by canamjhb View Post
    I don't think you can impose Fox instructions upon your Elkas. Different shocks, springs, compression rates, etc. I know the OEM RT front shocks measure 18 3/4 inches center line bolt hole top to bottom. That measurement is on uninstalled shocks with the OEM spring assembly installed. If I remember correctly, my Elkas have a static ride height of 18 1/2 and that would be, of course, lower with me on board. Probably about the same as yours. My advice, if it feels good to you, don't worry and just ride..... Jim

BTW The preload on my Elka springs is set to 9.0 inches. When I set the preload up I followed instructions regarding static and loaded (sag) heights. I have long forgotten the specifics but a search on this forum should find them. Good luck.....
    Actually, you can. Here’s why. The Fox units he is referencing are the Can Am accessories Fox Shox.

Regardless on the brand installed, his reference is discussing a laden vehicle setup. Doing this places the suspension arms in the designed best angle.

What will not work is a heavier rider on springs that are too soft in spring rate. Excess preload contributes to other concerns and is not a better solution vs correct spring rate.

Spyder Garage

Did you get the shock settings figured out?