Spyder Garage

Default What Tires will fit a 2009 RS?

I have a question about tire size. I have a 2009 rs sm5 spyder with original tire size 165/65r14. My question is would a 175/65r14 clear the fenders?

Spyder Garage

For most quality brand name tires, it should fit fairly readily!

However, you do need to be a little careful in your tire choice, because most of the 'tire comparison' sites & tools you can find around the internet only compare the NOMINAL sizes, ie, what's printed on the tire's sidewall... Tire manufacturers rarely get their tire sizing EXACTLY the same as nominal anyway, even tho they might use the same nominal size as others - and the variations in ACTUAL size vs Nominal size can be significant!! Some manufacturers base their sizing on the tire carcass size, some use the 'worn tread diameter', others use the 'new tread diameter', and sometimes the differences can even apply to different tread patterned tires from the same manufacturer!! All of which means the Nominal Size isn't always the Actual Size, and the variation in rolling diameter can be as much as an inch (sometimes more - I've seen more than one brand/type of aggressive tread patterned tires where the difference between the Actual fully treaded sizes & the Nominal sizes on the sidewall were different by nearly 2 inches!! ) If you can compare the rolling diameter from the manufacturers published specs & dimensions of the proposed tire vs that of the current tire, you'll get a much better idea of any real differences involved!

So the upshot of all this is that it's a good idea to compare the physical dimensions of the tire you want to fit against the tire that's there now, either from the published specs or by an actual side by side comparison. And while we're here, be aware that the OE Spec Kendas are (usually) sized rather small physically against the nominal size that's printed on them. But back when everyone was only talking about the 14" rims, some Spyder Owners fitted 185/65R14's, altho that size in some tire brands or tread patterns needed a spacer washer or two fitted under the fender mounts to keep the fender clear.

And if you want to tell us the Brand & tread pattern of tire you're considering, someone might be able to confirm that they've been able to fit that tire! Good Luck!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Maddness28 View Post
    I have a question about tire size. I have a 2009 rs sm5 spyder with original tire size 165/65r14. My question is would a 175/65r14 clear the fenders?
    Well a very highly rated tire the Vredestein Quatrac 5 …. comes in 165/65 rt14 …… Mike