Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Carrying long guns on a spyder

Ok, by way of introduction, this is my current bike:

https://i.imgur.com/apYXzIF.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/7L0Rh2P.jpg

Yup, same bike.

I have made a couple racks that I can install on my bike and be able to carry locked ammo cans and a couple long guns (shotguns or whatever). I am shopping for a can-am trike, and I realize that I am going to have to duplicate my work with whatever I buy. I would like to start a discussion about how I might carry a shotgun or two on a can-am, and if any model might be more or less conducive to the task. Right now I am leaning toward the full dress touring models with the factory hard saddle bags and top trunk. I am not sure if this is the best model for what I am intending, though. So, what are your thoughts?

Spyder Garage

I recognize that you are looking at the RT model because of its inherent cargo carrying capacity; however, from what I know about mine the only solid mounting option I see is to the passenger hand grips which are, IMO, a less than satisfactory idea because you are, to my slow brain, using only one point in the vertical plane to anchor the rack when two would be the minimum. Yes, you could mount a case transversely across the passenger seat area and that would give you two mounting positions but you're looking at 39-40" in case length before you would be, again IMO, having your cargo extending beyond the width of the saddlebags and you would be adding significantly to the barn door in the wind factor that will eat mileage. For that reason, I thing the better option Spyder-wise is an F3-S because it has a better mounting option for a vertical case. With the F3-S you are going to give up significant other cargo carrying capacity.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

So none of the plastics mount in such a way that the mounting bolt could be extended from the frame, or repurposed? I guess what I ought to do is try to meet current, local owners (if there are any here) and look at things in person.
    Just out of curiosity, does anyone know what is the longest item that can be fit into the frunk?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

rt or f3l or t put hitch on build from there

Spyder Garage

The rear support assembly that holds the saddlebags is designed such that to attempt to attach any kind of a frame for a long gun case would require, to the best I can see from parts diagrams, cutting some plastic that would compromise the structural integrity of the saddlebags themselves. The strength and weight bearing capacity of the saddlebags is in the molded cargo containers themselves and cutting into any of that plastic could lead to problems. Any cutting of the containers could also introduce problems with the latches and possibly with the cargo covers (the saddlebag doors) and the water tight integrity of the compartments. The whole assemblies were designed to carry nominal loads, 15 lb ea, L&R, look streamlined, and the weakest links are the hinges to the saddlebag doors.

The nominal maximum depth of the carpeted frunk, right in front of the latch is 22 1/2". Any fore and aft dimension to what you are trying to stand in the frunk will be less than that because of the downward slope of the frunk lid toward the hinge. The gasket around the top edge frunk ensures water tight integrity and attempting to cram anything oversize in it risks creating problems with the latching mechanism, bad juju.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Koplin Clamps.....

Carry them the same way you carry rifle or shotgun on the off road 4 wheelers. Any sporting goods place should have what you need. I use the same clamps to carry my crutches on the Spyder.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Get a trailer and be done with it,+ no one can see what you're carrying. Besides, where are you going to put all those dead ducks or pigeons or whatever it is you're hunting?

Spyder Garage

I actually already own a MC trailer, I just hate pulling it.

Is the built in luggage really that wimpy? Maybe going with a model that dosen't have the luggage might be a better idea. I built a mount for my sportbike that I can suspend the whole bike from without bending it. How sturdy is the subframe?

Quote Originally Posted by Gwolf View Post
    Koplin Clamps.....

Carry them the same way you carry rifle or shotgun on the off road 4 wheelers. Any sporting goods place should have what you need. I use the same clamps to carry my crutches on the Spyder.
    Thats a great idea but I suspect the constabulary may not be amused...

Spyder Garage

The luggage cases in the RTs are not wimpy but the model was not designed as a pick up truck. The weight limitations for all the cargo compartments was arrived at by engineers who designed a vehicle for three wheel motorcycle touring and it has proven very successful. That's why in my first post I suggested you look at the F3-S as a probable better vehicle for what you want to do based on your picture of your sport bike with the gun case and rack.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Takedown rifles get you down to top cases that are only 16-24 inches, which is doable.

Otherwise, go full Evil Dead:

tk937.jpg

Spyder Garage

My problem is that the stuff I want to carry doesn't come apart that way.

Spyder Garage

Why would you want to carry your weapons on a Spyder? It's not really a very good vehicle when hunting seeing as it lacks proper storage and isn't designed to go four-wheeling.

2017 Can-Am Spyder RT

Spyder Garage

Hacksaw ?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by imfleck View Post
    Why would you want to carry your weapons on a Spyder? It's not really a very good vehicle when hunting seeing as it lacks proper storage and isn't designed to go four-wheeling.
    Riding to the shooting range, going to turkey shoots, riding to competitions held at Skeet & Trap Clubs............... Plenty of reasons to carry long guns on a bike. Primary reason being the bike gets 35 MPG and the truck gets 18 MPG.

One of the replies is probably accurate for the area of the country where the person who relied lives, however, in the rural areas of Florida and many other places, the local constabulary would not pay any attention at all to a rifle / shotgun in a zipper case strapped to a motorcycle. I have never been stopped and even if I was stopped, having a concealed weapons permit makes it completely legal to carry a weapon in a case which covers or conceals it, even if it is fairly obvious what is inside the case. Back about 20 years ago I was involved in a wreck which totaled my truck. The person who hit me was passing on a hill against the no passing zone and on my side of the road. I had several shotguns in the front seat of my truck. The Florida Highway Patrol simply asked what they were for and I told him I was returning from dove hunting. Also had hunting vest and a couple boxes of bird shot in the truck with me. The officer called my sister to come pick up the weapons with no further questions about it. The ambulance took me to the hospital for xrays and the officer waited with my truck until my sister got my shotguns out of it. That might not happen in the cities along the east coast where the rich people from up north live, but in the rural areas of Florida having weapons in a vehicle is almost expected, particularly during hunting season.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

In my neck of the woods if they can see it they'll steal it. Out of sight out of mind, most of the time anyway, if you're lucky.

Spyder Garage

An F3S has hand holds you can remove, and bolt anything on you wish. Racks, boxes, whatever. Take a look at the F3P model. It has adventure bike type luggage. That rack is available from Can Am, to convert the F3S to a F3P. Have fun. Make it work out for you. The bike itself is great. Make a rack, go shoot.
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cptjam View Post
    An F3S has hand holds you can remove, and bolt anything on you wish. Racks, boxes, whatever. Take a look at the F3P model. It has adventure bike type luggage. That rack is available from Can Am, to convert the F3S to a F3P. Have fun. Make it work out for you. The bike itself is great. Make a rack, go shoot.
    Great idea Joe, but BRP is out of stock on those racks, and MAY have them available on Dec 19th. My dealer talked to his source at BRP forfillment and was told that Dec 19th would be the earliest and most likely be later than that (if at all).

I had tried ordering one for mounting a top box. I now will make my own after we get back from the Red Rock Spyder Ride In.

Les
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cptjam View Post
    I left the hand holds on and made a piece that goes behind it. Got bungee strap loops, flag holder, and a mount for the clamp that holds the top of my crutches on it. The hand holds bolted back on over it.

Spyder Garage

20191011_214628.jpg

This is how I carry my cane . that's the bracket on seat that I use to hold lower end of cane in place and just velcro round
    grab rail on top .
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Hi Barrysuperhawk ref long guns in Uk we carnt carry a toy pop gun , and the way crime is in uk we will need a machine gun and carry in on a tank good luck to you. Regards Nico 75

Spyder Garage

There are threads where mounting wheelchairs is discussed, and there may be good information there. I would do a search and see what you can find.
    2020 RT Limited in the ultra cool Deep Marsala Dark edition.

Baja Ron Anti-Sway Bar, LED reflectors, Lamonster USB Charger (and phone mount), Can-Am Low Windshield, X-Creen Tour Variable Windscreen Spoiler Blade, Power Commander, Dilithium powered Flux Capacitor (not yet fully functional).
    Maintained by Lou at Pirate Powersports.

Spyder Garage

I've given this a lot of thought because I like to be prepared for situations that may come up when I go on long trips. The Spyder has the option for a trailer hitch. Get one, put on a class 2 hitch and mount your gun cases, standing up, to a cargo carrier with something to secure it to a luggage rack on top of the top trunk.

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...1417_200511417

Just drop your cases in there, secure the sides and run a cable around the top of your cases and through your luggage rack, apply lock and you're good.
    2011 RT , Silver

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    I've given this a lot of thought because I like to be prepared for situations that may come up when I go on long trips. The Spyder has the option for a trailer hitch. Get one, put on a class 2 hitch and mount your gun cases, standing up, to a cargo carrier with something to secure it to a luggage rack on top of the top trunk.

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...1417_200511417

Just drop your cases in there, secure the sides and run a cable around the top of your cases and through your luggage rack, apply lock and you're good.

The trailer hitch floats with the rear tire. The trunk does not, it is on the suspension. You can't secure one end to a position that moves and the other end to a stationary position.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by strykerAKAmack View Post
    20191011_214628.jpg

This is how I carry my cane . that's the bracket on seat that I use to hold lower end of cane in place and just velcro round
    grab rail on top .
    I switched my wood cane for a collapsible metal cane I keep in the trunk. I literally unvelcro it from the roof of the trunk and snap it open, go about my day, collapse it back and pop it back on the roof of the inside of the trunk and off I go. Good to see others with canes on these bad boys.
    2011 RT , Silver

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Nico75 View Post
    Hi Barrysuperhawk ref long guns in Uk we carnt carry a toy pop gun , and the way crime is in uk we will need a machine gun and carry in on a tank good luck to you. Regards Nico 75
    Here in the US you can carry a cane and no one can question it as it would be a violation of hippa. A cane if it is a good hardwood will provide you with a way to defend yourself.
    2011 rt , pearl white