Spyder Garage

Default Using old phone with BRP connect

Is it true that when BRP connect uses your phones maps application it isn't using your phones cell service but just taking control of the phones GPS? If this is true could you pair a old iPhone to BRP connect and then just leave it in the Spyder?

Due to my lack of experience with BRP connect I'm not sure there would even be any advantage to doing this, even if possible.

Thanks
    Poasttown

Spyder Garage

Depends on the application that you are using and how its being used. I have had pretty good success with Genius Maps and a secondary phone without a cell plan. It is a good offline mapping tool. However there are caveats - the first and most important is to be sure that you actually have the maps loaded for area that you are riding. Being offline and moving from one area of coverage (USA South to USA Midwest) you have loaded to another area of maps you do not - ends your good experience. Second - I usually plan all of my rides prior to getting on the bike. It gives me a chance to review the route and ensure that the application has not taken me down some dirt road because it perceived as being shorter. It also allows me to put in all of my planned stops. In this capacity - it works seamless.

Other applications in the "BRP Suite" use cellular data. AccuWeather, Rever, ESR, DashRadio all have dependencies to be fully functional. I use Rever as a "map tracker / map logger" app. Use like that it does car about cell data.

There is also a method to tether your second phone to the first to use your data. I have my "older" iPhone stuffed in the frunk. It is my GPS, iPod, and event data recorder. The new phone ... if it is on I take phone calls. Usually it is just heating up the top trunk.
    Dave

"Pallidus Aranea"
    (Pale Spider)

• 2018 CamAm Spyder RT Limited - Pearl White / Chrome
    • 2008 H/D VROD 105th Anniversary Edition (665 of 1200) - Retired
    • 1987 Honda CRB600F - "Hurricane" - Retired

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex… It takes a touch of genius – and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - Albert Einstein
    2018 RT Limited , Pearl White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The BRP Connect and new Limited dash requires an iPhone 6 or better or the last 4 Androids models. Nothing earlier will work. There are 2 GPS apps - Genius Maps or Sygic which download map data so as not to use cell service (except for traffic). Sygic is easier and shows up better on the dash. There is a BRP Connect Facebook page with videos on how things work and help with problems if you need it.

Once the phone is connected along with the bluetooth headset you can enjoy music as well as hear directions and make/recieve phone calls with gloves on as you control it with the joystick on the left handlebar.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

Looking at the Genius Maps information I see two prices listed in the "steps to download" process. One price is 39.99 and the other is 44.99. Are there two fees, two price points, or just my misunderstanding?

Poasttown

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Poasttown View Post
    Looking at the Genius Maps information I see two prices listed in the "steps to download" process. One price is 39.99 and the other is 44.99. Are there two fees, two price points, or just my misunderstanding?

Poasttown
    The one is to buy the app and the other is for vehicle connectivity and map download so it will work in the bike or car dash. Try Sygic as well. It's cheaper and sometimes on sale. Easier to see the info on the dash and a little easier to use. When opening it for the first time in the dash you will need to check the phone to allow the bike to connect to the phone.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red