Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Purchased a new Battery 6 months ago - now it's dead Again! Help?!

Purchased and installed a new Yuasa battery on March 31, 2019. Today it is dead and will not take a charge. Bought on line so no guarentee or replacement. What have you found to be a better replacement? 2012 RT

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have found that either with a sealed or not sealed battery, you have to charge it before installing. I know that filling it charges it but not enough so I put mine on a Battery Tender Jr for 3-4 days and then install it. No problems. I also connect the charger every so often when not riding for more than a few weeks.

Think of it the same as blowing up a balloon for the first time. It hard the first time you blow it up, but when you blow it up again, it's easier. Same thing with batteries.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

The battery was charged per the instructions provided by the manufacturer before installation.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by OlJim View Post
    Purchased and installed a new Yuasa battery on March 31, 2019. Today it is dead and will not take a charge. Bought on line so no guarentee or replacement. What have you found to be a better replacement? 2012 RT
    Since you say you charged it correctly I think you got the short one in a luck of the draw. Did you have to add the acid to it or was it filled when you got it? I wonder if you got sold a counterfeit. What was the price, something around $90 to $100? That's what the real product costs normally. The general consensus is the Yuasa gives you about the best overall value for the money of any powersport battery. Don't bother looking for a better one unless you want to spend boocoo bucks more.

You didn't by chance have a trickle charger on it between rides? A trickle charger ruins batteries. You need to use a battery maintainer like Battery Tender brand.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

The V-twin Spyders do have a touch more 'battery drain' between rydes than the 1330 Triples, so that might have an impact.... But I'd be checking that it's not either your ryding time/distance not being long enough to recharge or a failure/degradation of the magneto charge system before getting another new battery & potentially killing it too!! Altho I guess you can only do that if you can recharge the battery enough to get it running?

For those who may not be aware, the V-twins have a fairly limited magneto type re-charge system, while the Triples have an alternator like most modern cars. The magneto systems don't have as much 'spare charge capacity' to run too much in the way of electrical accessories, and they don't re-charge the battery as quickly as an alternator can anyway. So, especially if you have a few electrical additions on your V-twin Spyder, frequent short runs (anything less than 40 mins to an hour-ish?!) that aren't really long enough to fully recharge the battery will kill it eventually... And if the magneto system's getting a bit tired anyway, even the best of battery's can die pretty quickly!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-08-2019 at 06:55 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Yes, the acid came seperate and had to be added then charged for 24 hr on tricle charger at 2.5 amps. I have a gps transmitter that uses battery current so it is on a maintainer most of the time when not being ridden. You should be able to buy one heck of a replacement for the price of two Yuasa batteries. I'll check Interstate tomorrow.

Spyder Garage

I got one from Lamonster this spring, seems to be a good battery to me!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Default Interesting....🤔

Just did mine recently and all is well. You seem to have done everything as instructed the only thing would be some issue in you wiring or your charging system. Could take it to a shop and have them charge and test if possible and still try to deal with your seller. I always go through Amazon or Ebay as they will help you out...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Purchased a new Yuasa battery for the 14 RTS the other day. Called Yuasa to find out about warranty registration. They informed me this was handled entirely at the dealer level.

The battery I got was purchased at the dealer. They purchased the battery from WPS, which Yuasa verified as a distributer. The battery was serviced by Yuasa and was in a sealed cardboard box. Per the instructions, voltage was checked prior to installing. The voltage range indicated a charging was needed. This was done at a level below the maximum suggested rate.

Once installed, the machine cranks happily. As with original, this battery will be on the Battery Minder when not being ridden.

As to why the original poster suffered a premature battery failure, not sure. If the seller was a legit Yuasa retailer, then they should have no issue submitting and obtaining warranty credit. I have read where Yuasa batteries are copied and sold at less cost.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

7 months after getting the new RT my battery died because it wasn't prepped correctly. The replacement I got from Amazon was the same OEM Yuasa. It came filled and sealed. I charged it as slowly as possible as that is the best way to charge a motorcycle battery. No more than 2 amps per hour charging but I used a trickle charger. It's been more than 7 months and no signs of battery failure. (There were no instructions, it's a Yuasa and sealed from the dealer)

Yuasa FAQ - What is the normal charge rate for my Yuasa battery?
    Naturally, batteries of different capacities require different charge rates. Generally, a battery should be charged at a slow charge rate of 1/10 its given 10 hr. capacity.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

My thinking was, I thought sound, and left an acid battery on the charger. I mean, don't they just trickle down when full charge is met? They do not. Fortunately my garage floor was just concrete because the battery literally melted spilling acid into a large puddle. Even after the plastic melted and the acid spilled, the metal was still connected, causing an even larger overheat/melt situation. Lesson learned. Maintainer, not trickle charger. Now, as the horse has fled the barn, I use maintainers on all of my batteries and that is 7 of them.

Spyder Garage

I had mine fail in 13 months, found out my battery tender jr cooked it. I now have a Schumacher tender that works much better. Also bought 2nd battery at Advance Auto Parts. It is a yausa battery with their parts number and the price was the same.
    2014 RT SE6

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Is your charging system working?
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

I don't know if the older Spyders are the same as mine but check the fuse box and see if the accessory fuse is connected to the "Keyed" fuse or to the battery fuse. If it's to the battery fuse it means that they are always hot and will drain the battery quite quickly. Just swap the fuse into the other socket. Sometimes things this simple make a big difference. Good hunting.
    2015 RTS SE6 Special Series Red/Black w/Magnesium front fenders(bought in Nov. 2018 w/9,400 miles)
    Dynojet Power Commander V, Power Commander POD-300 Display, PCV Map Switch, Pedal Commander (WOW)
    Passenger Arm Rests, Windshield Air Wing
    Baja Ron's Sway Bar & Spring Adjusters
    Air Scoops, LaMonster's Hiway Pegs
    Magnetic Mirror Mounts, Air Innovations Seat Cushion
    Red Chrome pin striping on Black hood
    Federal Formoza AZ01 front tires (they're GREAT)
    Kumho Ecsta AST KU25 All-Season Tire - 225/50R15 91H
    LED bars above radiator inlets
    LED brake/running/turn signals on license plate frame
    Tag-Along trailer
    LED headlights LED fog lights (WOW)
    2" x 2" Road Lights inside front fenders
    7' x 10' Cargo trailer
    Garmin 396 LM GPS
    RLS Cat-delete resonator with China Akropovic muffler
    New Banshee AGM
    M3 TPMS on front tires
    Remote Control for Heated Jacket and Heated Riding Pants
    Analog Clock and Analog Volt Meter
    Loose Nut Behind Handlebars
    2015 RT-S Special Series , Stock Spark Plugs Brake Pedal Extension Cherry Red/Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Yes, the acid came seperate and had to be added then charged for 24 hr on tricle charger at 2.5 amps. I have a gps transmitter that uses battery current so it is on a maintainer most of the time when not being ridden. You should be able to buy one heck of a replacement for the price of two Yuasa batteries. I'll check Interstate tomorrow.
    I could be wrong, but I think the OEM battery is a sealed AGM, so wouldn't need to add acid.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I know my Yuasa battery been in my Spyder over 5 years now. I am a bit surprised it lasted this long , but do keep a battery tender on it over the winter months.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    I could be wrong, but I think the OEM battery is a sealed AGM, so wouldn't need to add acid.
    Features
    Absorbed Glass Mat (AGM) technology offers durability, electrical reliability, near maintenance-free performance, making it ideal for the Can-Am Spyder.
    Spill-proof design with the ability to hold its charge three times longer and than conventional lead-acid batteries in stand-by mode.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by trikermutha View Post
    I know my Yuasa battery been in my Spyder over 5 years now. I am a bit surprised it lasted this long , but do keep a battery tender on it over the winter months.
    Yup, it pays to get the right one. Just because it says Yuasa doesn't mean it's the right model for the Spyder.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Just because it was a new battery don't mean it can not fail, it.s made by man it can fail!! I would make shore the charging system is in working order and that there isn't a unexpected draw on the battery, pinched wire, stuck relay, ect!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    The battery with acid supplied separately is AGM. You seal it tight after adding the acid so it becomes a sealed AGM.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman2013 View Post
    Is your charging system working?
    My volt meter usually reads 13.9 volts when the machine is running. Droped battery off at Interstate dealer and they said once battery reached a certain level of discharge, it can not be charged with most of todays chargers. They said they thought they could bring it back but would take a couple days. Wait and see.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My volt meter usually reads 13.9 volts when the machine is running. Droped battery off at Interstate dealer and they said once battery reached a certain level of discharge, it can not be charged with most of todays chargers. They said they thought they could bring it back but would take a couple days. Wait and see.
    I believe this is the direct replacement you should have bought. I'm not sure what you did get or from which online retailer, but the warranty should still be good.

https://www.batterystuff.com/powersp...TX24HL-BS.html
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It’s weird how the Yuasa web site suggests the -BS battery but it was found to not be the right size. I got an exact OEM replacement off Amazon and it fit perfectly. The new one is working great, unlike the original one that couldn’t keep a charge because it wasn’t prepped right by the dealer.

Below is what came out. Notice it’s not the -BS. I read on here earlier that the -BS was physically smaller.

750C4A7A-B09B-466D-B25D-96AEA73EF4F0.jpg
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Flamewinger View Post
    It’s weird how the Yuasa web site suggests the -BS battery but it was found to not be the right size. I got an exact OEM replacement off Amazon and it fit perfectly. The new one is working great, unlike the original one that couldn’t keep a charge because it wasn’t prepped right by the dealer.

Below is what came out. Notice it’s not the -BS. I read on here earlier that the -BS was physically smaller.

750C4A7A-B09B-466D-B25D-96AEA73EF4F0.jpg
    I'll look into that some more. Thanks. BTW, yours is a newer model than the OP's 2012 RT. That may account for the difference in size.

It would be nice to know what the OP bought which performed so badly for him.
    2014 RTL Platinum