Spyder Garage

Default 2012 to 2019 RTL

I know this is a topic that has been beat to death but here goes. I have a 12 RT with 11k miles. I pull a trailer 50% of the time. My shoulder bothers me after I ride and it may hurt after I ride a 1330 3-400 miles per day. My wife has an 18 and it steers easier and seems to handle windy conditions better. I like the 990 but is does use some oil. I am considering a 2019 RT. My thought is to trade for ease of steering, fuel, maintenance savings etc. I am also thinking the 990 values might drop as more used 1330 become available. Does this make sense?

Spyder Garage

I had a 2011 that got traded in on a 2017. I did notice a difference between the two in ride, however I added a sway bar the summer after I got it. I use to be limited to around an hour ride before having to get off for a butt stretch, and my back would get sore between my shoulder blades. An ultimate seat with backrest has helped with those issues.
    Trent - 2017 asphalt grey RT Limited,
    Ultimate Seat, Baha Ron’s sway bar, Vredestine rear tire, Federal Formoza fronts, SlingMod’s LED head and fog lights, Lamonster’s highway pegs

HE>I
    2017 RT , Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

I added the Baha sway bar and a Show Chrome backrest. They were both good investments.

Spyder Garage

It sounds like to have a good plan going from the 12 to a 19. We still have an 11 in the stable, and that will be the first one to go if we do an upgrade.

I like both of my Spyders, but the 1330 configuration and all the other advantages you mentioned are a plus for me also.

We are just waiting for the newest iteration and will it push our buttons to do it?

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default choices, choices

Depends on your budget as you have a low mileage twin with some issues that some modifications could correct. Swaybar for the handling seat and bars for the comfort and nothing you can do about the oil as all twins use oil. As for value drop...this will happen regardless but there are advantages to the triple for the tourer and if your budget allows would help you with your ryding enjoyment.
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Just traded my 2012 RTS for a 2019 Ltd White dark edition (16 Aug) at Hanover Motorsports (GREAT dealership). I haven't even changed my avatar picture yet. Nice differences: steering IS easier; actually appreciate the floorboards (didn't think I would care); love the smoother shifting and not having to do so much shifting in lower speed limit areas; definitely has more top end torque and am beginning to feel more low end torque... (think I was babying it trying not to push too hard during that first 200 mile 'take it easy' range); distance to empty display (great). All in all I am happy with the upgrade!
    Ride Safe,
    Gina J

Spyder Garage

unless you LOVE the character and quirks of the twin, the triple is better in every respect, except maybe exhaust note.
    Flatlander, Navy Veteran, Widower
    Loved my 2014 RTS SE6 Pearl white
    but have a new love now,
    my 2017 RTS SE6 Champagne metallic (Champ)

Spyder Garage

I don't love the quirks of the twin, battery location for one. I think I Will miss the GPS, many areas we ride in don't have cell service. Correct me if I'm wrong but I wouldn't have navigation without cell service on the 2019?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by beef56 View Post
    I know this is a topic that has been beat to death but here goes. I have a 12 RT with 11k miles. I pull a trailer 50% of the time. My shoulder bothers me after I ride and it may hurt after I ride a 1330 3-400 miles per day. My wife has an 18 and it steers easier and seems to handle windy conditions better. I like the 990 but is does use some oil. I am considering a 2019 RT. My thought is to trade for ease of steering, fuel, maintenance savings etc. I am also thinking the 990 values might drop as more used 1330 become available. Does this make sense?
    RTL to RTL you should be good, majority difference will be drivetrain & dash. Double check you might even be able to use same trailer hitch. Sure the wiring will be different for harness but maybe not too bad.

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

I made a deal yesterday to trade the 12 for a 19. Anxious to make the trade this weekend!

Spyder Garage

Congrats on the upgrade. Where are you getting it from?
    Trent - 2017 asphalt grey RT Limited,
    Ultimate Seat, Baha Ron’s sway bar, Vredestine rear tire, Federal Formoza fronts, SlingMod’s LED head and fog lights, Lamonster’s highway pegs

HE>I
    2017 RT , Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

The GPS on the 18/19's is weird for sure but it doesn't need any data connection to work once you have your maps downloaded... I still think that an actual GPS likely will still serve you better (the built in screen is too small and the routing suggestions are .... strange for sure on the Genius Maps app).
    2018 RT Limited , Ashphalt Metallic

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

From the way you describe your conundrum, this is a purely economic decision. If the financial impact of getting a newer machine works for you, then do it.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

I purchased a 2017 RT Limited recently from a member here. I flew to New Orleans to pick it up and drove it back to the Phoenix area. I didn't know at the time (this is my first Spyder) but the original owner mentioned that this machine had the new "power" steering unit on it. I took two days to get back to Phoenix and I would have given someone $1000 for a backrest. After I got home, I installed a backrest and that helped but it wasn't the answer. I bit the bullet and bought a new set of BRP Tri-Axis handlebars off of Amazon (they were just over $400). It wasn't until they were installed that I felt completely comfortable on long rides. They were worth every penny and now I can ride until my butt can't take it.
    2017 Can Am Spyder RT SE6 Limited

Tri-Axis Bars
    La Monster Longhorn Lights
    La Monster Magic Mirrors
    La Monster Spyder Cuff w/Phone Holder
    Show Chrome Fender Lights
    Show Chrome Backrest
    Show Chrome Brake/Turn Light
    Lid Locks
    2017 RT , White

Spyder Garage

I installed a backrest and Baha sway bar this year. I enjoyed both but definitely didn't use them enough to justify the cost!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RapidSpyder View Post
    Congrats on the upgrade. Where are you getting it from?
    Rice Honda, I contacted Spearfish but they were a bit slow in responding.