Thread: Battery Drain

Spyder Garage

Default Battery Drain

When I return from a ride and put my 2017 RTL in the secure barn, for convenience, I always leave the key in the ignition.
    Does this cause a small drain on the battery due to the key chip communicating with the D.E.S.S ?
    Its not really an issue because I always hook up a battery tender. Just curious. Thanks
    Gary
    2017 RTL Asphalt Gray Metalic
    1987 BMW K75s

Spyder Garage

Default Not sure...

Don't know that it does or has cut off but I always remove the key and keep it in a set place on the way to the ryde. I find the computers run their shut down and reset faster and the throttle body as well. I know many around here that do not use battery tenders and leave the key and have never had any drain to the battery. If you use a battery tender you need not worry for sure.....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

No. The key is turned on, that energizes the DESS in simplest terms. Key off, no DESS.

Spyder Garage

Did not seem to be a problem here. The Spyders were in the hands of the movers for 70 days. The keys remained in the ignitions. They started first try upon arrival here.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the reply's
    Gary
    2017 RTL Asphalt Gray Metalic
    1987 BMW K75s

Spyder Garage

For me the set place for the key on the way to the ryde is in the ignition.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Garf View Post
    When I return from a ride and put my 2017 RTL in the secure barn, for convenience, I always leave the key in the ignition.
    Does this cause a small drain on the battery due to the key chip communicating with the D.E.S.S ?
    No, but there are several inputs to the cluster and vehicle control module that receive power directly from the battery at all times. How much current constantly moves through those two units I have no idea, but there is some. They have volatile memory in them meaning they need power constantly to keep the memory active. Lose power, lose memory. Any Spyder will eventually run a battery down. The older and weaker the battery the quicker that happens. My 2014 RT with the original battery went completely dead a couple of days ago after sitting and not being ridden and not connected to a tender for 10 days.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Key

Remove the key and put it on kitchen table. I have a small container on my table that I use....
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

Know there was a report someone forgot the key in garage was not well insulated everything got cold, failed to start following morning till key was indoors & warmed up a bit.

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I never take my key out, it is hot as Hell in our garage and I’ve not had any issues.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bfromla View Post
    Know there was a report someone forgot the key in garage was not well insulated everything got cold, failed to start following morning till key was indoors & warmed up a bit.
    I'll have to try that this winter, although it doesn't make sense seeing Bombi has been using DESS in sleds for many years before the Spyders came to market.
    2018 F3 Limited , Black/Chrome

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    No, but there are several inputs to the cluster and vehicle control module that receive power directly from the battery at all times. How much current constantly moves through those two units I have no idea, but there is some. They have volatile memory in them meaning they need power constantly to keep the memory active. Lose power, lose memory. Any Spyder will eventually run a battery down. The older and weaker the battery the quicker that happens. My 2014 RT with the original battery went completely dead a couple of days ago after sitting and not being ridden and not connected to a tender for 10 days.
    On a later models with a 1330 engine like yours. All modules will turn themselves off in less than 3 minutes and draw no power. There is one exception and that is the gauge cluster. Just enough power to keep the clock running. Maximum parasitic draw should be less than 20ma.

The models with 998 engine and fly by wire throttle. The ECM stays active for 40 minutes.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bfromla View Post
    Well that makes no sense at all. Sounds like someone made that up or there happened to be a coincidence of some kind.

2018 F3 LIMITED