Spyder Garage

Default 2013 Spyder RT SE5 backrest

Hi all,
    I have a 2013 Can Am Spyder RT SE5 that has the upgraded saddle. However, the backrest comes loose all the time and was wondering where I could purchase a replacement?
    The color of my saddle/backrest is tan. I have uploaded a photo for reference.
    Thanks,
    Sal
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

When you say "comes loose," what do you mean? Does it easily slide out of the bracket that is bolted to the seat pan, do you mean the backrest wobbles in the bracket that is bolted tightly to the seat pan, or do you mean the bracket is loose from the seat pan? Please be more specific.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    When you say "comes loose," what do you mean? Does it easily slide out of the bracket that is bolted to the seat pan, do you mean the backrest wobbles in the bracket that is bolted tightly to the seat pan, or do you mean the bracket is loose from the seat pan? Please be more specific.
    ... also who made the backrest ???? and what YEAR seat is it now .... I can help you if you help me ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Thank you for you response. The seat comes completely out of the slot no matter how tight is screw it on. I feel a new one may be needed.

Spyder Garage

I'm out of my element now because I have a BRP Comfort Seat with adjustable driver backrest. It is not screwed into the seat at all but has a spring lever on one of the backrest rails that I have to press to release the backrest from its mount.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Mike,
    The seat is original from 2013. I am not sure who made it, but assuming it was the manufacturer.
    PS: I purchased the bike from from a private sale.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by salmad View Post
    Mike,
    The seat is original from 2013. I am not sure who made it, but assuming it was the manufacturer.
    PS: I purchased the bike from from a private sale.
    Have you raised the seat to check that all the locking & attachment gear that would be bolted to the base of the seat is secure?? . And even if the bracketry is all tight down there, you can still check to see if it is an OE Seat & whether it's a standard seat ot the optional Comfort Seat that moves the rider back a couple of inches, cos there'll also be a BRP sticker or two down there - a Part Number & some other bunf, which is not necessarily strictly important info per se, but it might help you identify if it really is a BRP/CanAm seat & which model seat it is.

Which model seat it is may be important, cos I've seen a couple of BRP seats here in Oz that have had 'loose backrests' simply because the Seat has been a standard seat while the Backrest was intended for the other model Comfort seat &/or vice versa - I believe the seat pans & the upper/removable part of the backrests are identical, but the 'below seat brackets' are different, and if you have the wrong bracket for your seat model, your backrest can't/won't ever 'lock in' properly, so it'll flop around like a drunk chook trying to run on a slack wire! . Could it be that you too have the wrong bracket for your seat/backrest?

Just Sayin'
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 08-12-2021 at 05:47 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    Have you raised the seat to check that all the locking & attachment gear that would be bolted to the base of the seat is secure?? . And even if the bracketry is all tight down there, you can still check to see if it is an OE Seat & whether it's a standard seat ot the optional Comfort Seat that moves the rider back a couple of inches, cos there'll also be a BRP sticker or two down there - a Part Number & some other bunf, which is not necessarily strictly important info per se, but it might help you identify if it really is a BRP/CanAm seat & which model seat it is.

Which model seat it is may be important, cos I've seen a couple of BRP seats here in Oz that have had 'loose backrests' simply because the Seat has been a standard seat while the Backrest was intended for the other model Comfort seat &/or vice versa - I believe the seat pans & the upper/removable part of the backrests are identical, but the 'below seat brackets' are different, and if you have the wrong bracket for your seat model, your backrest can't/won't ever 'lock in' properly, so it'll flop around like a drunk chook trying to run on a slack wire! . Could it be that you too have the wrong bracket for your seat/backrest?

Just Sayin'
    .... That backrest looks like a " UTOPIA " .... I made and sold a bracket & backrest using Utopia backrests .... these were for 2014 thru 2018 ..... Mine wiggles a bit also ...it's normal because of the amount of joints needed to make them ..... and Mine has an " easy-out " also .... there is a small set screw that holds it in ..... hope this helps ..... PS don't buy a NEW one until you know what you have ......PPS take the backrest out and take a close-up pic of the part that slides in ( ie the tongue end ) .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Thanks Peter! I will check it out shortly. That makes a lot of sense.