Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Oil in 998cc air box

Hi all. Although my bike was supposed to be serviced by Can Am not long ago I have decided to check things myself to do major service over the winter.
    On opening the airbox I have found some oil in the box ( light covering )... Thoughts PLEASE.......
    2009 GS SE5 , Red (Ferrari Red :) )

Spyder Garage

My manual says that's normal.

Spyder Garage

I have the same with mine... thought I remember reading about instructions to put a filter into the air breather hose. I can't find that thread via search. Maybe someone has the thread archived that helps decrease the oil blow-back in the 998 rotax engine. I saw a reference that Bajaron used to offer a simple kit (or instructions), but I don't see it on his vendor page... so that must have run its course. Thanks if anyone has that info. Here in WI, a few more months and our cycles will go into hibernation until April or May.

Spyder Garage

Done some more digging and it appears some bikes drip out onto body work etc... Luckily mine does not do that - just inside..

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Haikanko View Post
    Done some more digging and it appears some bikes drip out onto body work etc... Luckily mine does not do that - just inside..
    That usually only happens if they're over-filled with oil! Don't ever top up the oil to the FULL level when the engine hasn't been warmed up properly &/or you're not using the correct oil checking process for the dry-sump engine & it shouldn't be an issue.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

I run my oil at half way up the dipstick. Full or near full can contribute to the problem. I heard that too, Peter. Good info.

Spyder Garage

It was a common problem from day 2. Search catch-can.
    The best substitute for brains & knowledge is....................silence.

Spyder Garage

Light coating of oil in the air box is normal. If it builds up so much that it drips out onto your right foot. That's a more common problem with the older 998s than the newer model years. It has nothing to do with how much oil is in the oil tank. It has to do with how much oil is on top of the head. Excess oil on top of the head is caused by excessive leaking of the camshaft bearing caps. BRPs recommended service action is to apply a thin film of liquid gasket maker to the bearing caps during regular scheduled valve clearance check. Since no one gets the valve check service done. Just install a catch can in the vent line if your Spyder is one of the problem ones.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Very common problem with the 998 V-Twin. Some get enough oil in the air box that it wets the air filter and drips out the weep hole in the corner. 'Normal' doesn't necessarily mean it's right or should be happening. What other vehicle have you owned where you find oil in the air box? If we were to be honest. We'd simply call it what it is. A design flaw.

You basically have 3 choices. 1- You can run with a low oil level and see if this helps. Usually, it does not because it's not the oil level in the reservoir causing the issue. The crankcase vent comes off the head, not the reservoir. If you do choose to run your oil level low, check often because the 998 uses oil. 2- You can run the oil level where it is supposed to be and live with oil in the air box (Choice #1 and #2 being very similar in results). Or 3- you can fix the problem and have the best of both worlds. A full oil reservoir and no oil in your air box.

The good news is, this issue is easily and cheaply remedied. There have been several approaches. One being a 'Catch Can'. However, a true catch can removes oil from the system (albeit, not that much) and requires maintenance. I recommend a crank case breather modification. It works just as well as a catch can, is less expensive and easier to install. And, it is virtually maintenance free. It also offers the advantage of returning perfectly good oil to the engine where it belongs instead of you draining it out from a catch-can. The necessary parts (Listed below) are readily available at any auto parts store, except for the open cell foam. Which I will provide you upon request.

All you need is one of these glass fuel filters...
    Fuel Filter.jpg

and 4 of these small hose clamps.
    Hose Clamp.jpg

You do not use the plastic nipples as they make the assembly too long. You do not use the fuel filter element so that gets removed. Instead, you will need a small chunk of open cell foam (which I will supply at no charge if you email me). You want the foam to fill the cavity but not be compressed (kind of defeats the 'Open Cell' component of the foam if you mash it into the filter housing).

Cut the vent hose so that the hex filter ends fit into the upper and lower hose, apply the clamps and you're done! I've had mine on for over 30,000 miles and have not had to do anything to it. It still works as well as the day I installed it.

The installed assembly ends up looking like this.

CrankCaseBreatherMod.jpg
    Last edited by BajaRon; 11-08-2019 at 09:51 AM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

I went the route of installing a catch can and have to drain mine regularly. I don't mind, but it is an extra step.

Spyder Garage

Thanks BajaRon
    Could you supply the total unit (glass filter etc) pm with price and I sort it out

Is this the filter? https://www.aliexpress.com/i/3269956...71c346c0mBypI4

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Haikanko View Post
    Thanks BajaRon
    Could you supply the total unit (glass filter etc) pm with price and I sort it out

Is this the filter? https://www.aliexpress.com/i/3269956...71c346c0mBypI4
    Yes, the link you post is the correct filter. They are very easy to find.

However, I have never carried or sold this mod as a kit. The components are so inexpensive and readily available. It did not seem necessary. I simply made one for my 998 long ago, and, because it worked very well, I share the information. That is the extent of my involvement on this one.

A great number of people have installed these. To my knowledge, they all were very pleased with the results. I like this mod because it's pretty much plug & play. You'll forget it's even there and you'll see no more oil in the air box.

I have provided the open cell foam, when requested, and instructions for assembly including which parts are needed. And yes, this is the correct filter. You can also get them with the hose barb built in. These work just as well but you have to cut the hose barb portion off leaving just the hex end. Some file the hex portion round. But I have found that this is not necessary. The hose seals just fine on the hex.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 11-08-2019 at 09:55 AM.

Spyder Garage

Thanks - will order part now

Spyder Garage

I have this modification on my 2013 STS.
    I bought my filter on Amazon. Clamps from a local auto parts store.
    Installed some foam sent to me by Ron - Thank You.
    It works just fine.
    David C
    2016 F3T
    DIY Garage Door Opener & GPS Mount
    Battery tender cable
    Rear IPS Pack Rack

Spyder Garage

I found both the small hose clamps as well as the glass fuel filter at O'Reilly Auto Parts.

Ron, thank you for sharing your expertise and creativity with the community. Will PM you shortly about getting a swatch of that filter media from you.

SO happy to have found this thread!
    2019 RTL , Phoenix Orange Metalic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Upcoaster View Post
    I found both the small hose clamps as well as the glass fuel filter at O'Reilly Auto Parts.

Ron, thank you for sharing your expertise and creativity with the community. Will PM you shortly about getting a swatch of that filter media from you.

SO happy to have found this thread!
    No problem. I've actually gone through several square feet of this foam. Glad to do it. Making people happy has its own rewards.

Spyder Garage

What kind of foam is that? Where is it sold?
    We are Russians, God be with us!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by VLADI View Post
    What kind of foam is that? Where is it sold?
    What you want is a sheet of UNI Coarse, open cell foam. It is designed to be used as a pre-filter for your air filter. Mostly on off road motorcycles. The one I get is the B-5 product. It is 12″ X 16″ X 3/8″ – 40 PPI Red coarse foam. You don't want the thicker version as it won't fit into the glass filter as easily without compressing it. If you compress the foam insert it will collapse the passageways in the foam defeating the purpose. Here is a link. This also comes in Black. But I think the red looks cool. Either version will work fine. https://unifilter.com/online-catalog/accessories/

However, if you send me your address, I will send you a chunk. That will save you getting a sheet that you will probably never use the rest of.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 11-08-2019 at 10:06 AM.

Spyder Garage

Thanks very much. But will it be possible to send to Russia? ebay often does not have this capability.

Spyder Garage

Thanks very much. But will it be possible to send to Russia? ebay often does not have this capability.
    No problem sending to Russia. Just email me at fyredad@hotmail.com. I ship to Russia all the time.

Spyder Garage

Simple job - did mine today (thanks Ron for foam) The pipe is a bit ''non flexible'' to get the correct curve but fits fine
    2009 GS SE5 , MDS wires and NGK Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by GSSpyder2008 View Post
    Simple job - did mine today (thanks Ron for foam) The pipe is a bit ''non flexible'' to get the correct curve but fits fine
    It is a bit of a tight fit. I just trimmed each hose a little at a time until the fit was just right. Some have put a 90 in the lower hose to get a bit more room. That's fine as long as there is no low spot where the oil can collect. You do need a continuous downhill course for the oil to get all the way back to the entry/exit point on the engine.

Now you will be air-box oil free!

Spyder Garage

Wrote on-coordinators. Thank you in advance.

Spyder Garage

Wrote on-coordinators. Thank you in advance.
    I am not sure what you mean here. If you are saying that you attempted to contact me for a chunk of foam. I have not received anything from you either by email or PM.

If I am off base with my guess. I apologize.

Spyder Garage

Default Crankcase breather modification

Is the idea with this filter inserted in the crankcase vent line that the oil vapors condense out the oil and it drains back into the crankcase? Would this work if you’re going for several hours on a trip? I’d think the positive airflow from the crankcase would eventually be pushing the condensed oil up to the air box.

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    Very common problem with the 998 V-Twin. Some get enough oil in the air box that it wets the air filter and drips out the weep hole in the corner. 'Normal' doesn't necessarily mean it's right or should be happening. What other vehicle have you owned where you find oil in the air box? If we were to be honest. We'd simply call it what it is. A design flaw.

You basically have 3 choices. 1- You can run with a low oil level and see if this helps. Usually, it does not because it's not the oil level in the reservoir causing the issue. The crankcase vent comes off the head, not the reservoir. If you do choose to run your oil level low, check often because the 998 uses oil. 2- You can run the oil level where it is supposed to be and live with oil in the air box (Choice #1 and #2 being very similar in results). Or 3- you can fix the problem and have the best of both worlds. A full oil reservoir and no oil in your air box.

The good news is, this issue is easily and cheaply remedied. There have been several approaches. One being a 'Catch Can'. However, a true catch can removes oil from the system (albeit, not that much) and requires maintenance. I recommend a crank case breather modification. It works just as well as a catch can, is less expensive and easier to install. And, it is virtually maintenance free. It also offers the advantage of returning perfectly good oil to the engine where it belongs instead of you draining it out from a catch-can. The necessary parts (Listed below) are readily available at any auto parts store, except for the open cell foam. Which I will provide you upon request.

All you need is one of these glass fuel filters...
    Fuel Filter.jpg

and 4 of these small hose clamps.
    Hose Clamp.jpg

You do not use the plastic nipples as they make the assembly too long. You do not use the fuel filter element so that gets removed. Instead, you will need a small chunk of open cell foam (which I will supply at no charge if you email me). You want the foam to fill the cavity but not be compressed (kind of defeats the 'Open Cell' component of the foam if you mash it into the filter housing).

Cut the vent hose so that the hex filter ends fit into the upper and lower hose, apply the clamps and you're done! I've had mine on for over 30,000 miles and have not had to do anything to it. It still works as well as the day I installed it.

The installed assembly ends up looking like this.

CrankCaseBreatherMod.jpg
    2013 RTS , Yellow