Spyder Garage

Default Another tire questions

So I’m not asking if they are good tires or any craziness. I’ve spent literally hours reading the boards and I’m just as confused as when I started.

I have an 08 rs sm5 and I’d like to run a Kumho Ecsta AST KU25 All-Season Tire - 225/50R15 91H in the rear.

And two Bridgestone Potenza RE92 Radial Tire - 165/65R14 78S

Will those sizes work/ fit on the bike / not kill me?

This is my first tire change and it’s making me nuts.

Thanks!!!

Spyder Garage

Don't over-think it too much - any reasonable quality/brand name tires are likely to be quids better than the dodgy OE Spec Kendas that many get lumbered with! So those tires you're considering should work very well on your Spyder, just so long as you run pressures in them to suit the load they are carrying (which is significantly less than the load those tires are capable of carrying!) If they were going on my Spyder, I'd be aiming for around 16psi up front & 18psi on the rear.

My Spyder is a 2013 RT, so it's got 15" rims up front and I'm currently running Kumho Ecstas, (HS51's?!) tires that are pushing 30,000 km; 175/60R15's at 16 psi up front, and a 225/60R15 on the rear that I dropped to 16psi a while back to help compensate for the compound gradually hardening as it ages - the slightly lower pressure helps the compound get/stay warm enough in the wet to maintain the tire's fantastic traction! That said, the rear tire is very much due for replacement now, while the fronts are looking good for the next 20,000 km!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-06-2019 at 03:18 AM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

i just went through the same thing with my rear tire, i met a local guy last week running a kumho on back with over 50,000 miles on it, he said most people around here run them on back, so i got one off flea bay and found a powersport place in maryville that mounted and balanced it for 85.00

Spyder Garage

Thanks guys much appreciated! I know the T word around here can be like shouting fire in a crowded theater

Spyder Garage

i got the kuhmo because a lot of people run them and its actually the right size, the latest greatest is a much shorter tire than stock,
    2015 rs

Spyder Garage

Default Relax.....

GTO are the greatest subjects around here or have been for some time and reading through the many threads and post can be mind boggling...You have come across tires that have and are being used by many here and you will be fine and probably happier with them. Only issues with all these different tires are if they fit especially in the front with the fenders and the speedo variances. You are good to go with your choice...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black