Spyder Garage

Default Brake light stays on and brake failure code comes and goes

My 2011 Spyder RT SE5 has it's brake light on all the time, but the parking brake works normally. Also the brakes failure screen comes on every time I stop. Any ideas?? I have adjusted the cable at the rear wheel.
    2011 RT , Red

Spyder Garage

Sounds like the return spring on the brake pedal has become a little weak over time.... maybe it needs a bit of help? Or is the brake light only on all the time you are aboard?? Some ryders have been known to create exactly this problem for themselves by having their foot juuust touching the pedal & holding it down a bit while they ride - eventually causing a 'limp-home' mode incident! Easy fix for that one, practice keeping your foot clear of the brake pedal unless you want it on!

There's also many threads on the Forum with people resolving brake issues by adding maybe 1/2 a teaspoonful more brake fluid to the 'slightly low' master cylinder; and some discussion on the boards about resetting the brake or pedal or something along those lines?!? That last process involves listening for the 'clicks' from the micro-switch - first activates the light, second the brakes.... I dunno, can't recall specifics atm, but maybe someone who can will pop in & explain it all? Anyone??

But seriously, quite a few have reported similar problems with their brake light, & most resolved the issue by either keeping their foot clear of the pedal or by adding a 'helper spring'. Good Luck!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-05-2019 at 07:42 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Default Little checking.....

start with the brake light switch. If you can get it to go out by lifting the pedal spring may need help. If not switch may need cleaning or replacing. If your going by warning lights on dash and not the actual taillight being on you have the othertest like fluid etc...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member SpyderConvert's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I had that problem after I installed the extended brake pedal, I had to keep lifting the pedal with my foot after every stop. I got tired of it and, thanks to CopperSpyder, replaced it with a stock brake pedal.
    2015 RTL, BajaRon Swaybar, LaMonster LED Headlights and Foglights, LaMonster Spydercuff, LaMonster LED mirror wrap, Magic Mirrors, HMT Brake Light
    2015 RT Ltd. , $" extension Black

Spyder Garage

If you can make the light go out by lifting up on the peddle with your toe, I have seen that, had that!!! Had to add a helper spring to the linkage under the peddle and there's a little rubber bumper where the arm swings down under the bike about 3/8 to 1/2 inch in dia. shave about half of it off. Good Luck the float as mentioned is really touchy just a cap full of fluid will may the brake warning go away!!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Solved the brake light problem and the cruise control problem on my 2013 STS by:
    1. Cleaning the brake light switch with spray relay contact cleaner.
    2. Shaved the rubber bumper to half thickness.
    3. Bought a helper spring but did not have to install the spring.

There are pictures and instruction on this site and a p/n for the spring at Lowe's Hardware.
    PM me if needed and I will dig out my files when I get home. Can't do it from my office
    Good luck. Its not a hard job.

Edit:
    There are two types of switches for the brake light.
    Old style - Switch is vertical at the back of the brake hardware cluster.
    New style - Switch is horizontal at the mid to front of the brake hardware cluster.
    On the RT: Some riders add a second-helper spring to the brake pedal . I wasn't able to find the video on the RT brake spring.
    However, from my notes: Lowe's part# 543210 spring 7/16 dia x 2/1l8 long x .0471 wire with 1.97# tension. Hook spring between rear of brake pedal arm (behind the pivot?) and the spring eye on the catalytic converter.
    David C
    2016 F3T
    DIY Garage Door Opener & GPS Mount
    Battery tender cable
    Rear IPS Pack Rack