Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trip to Europe

Spyder Garage

Default Trip to Europe

Just got back from Alaska and I noticed tons of bikes and RV's from Western Europe.
    Starting to think about taking the Spyder to Europe.
    Not sure how to go about it. Does anybody know of any good blogs that will describe how to get there and where to go.
    According to the people I talked to, they said to ship it by plane from Canada.
    Stefan

Spyder Garage

Or maybe you could try to rent one?
    2018 F3S , Monolith Black Satin

Spyder Garage

Try contacting Martin, the guy who posts those videos from Croatia. He might be able to help you. Or maybe the fellow from Spain.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Come to France - great bike roads and things to see (not PARIS too busy)
    2009 GS SE5 , Red (Ferrari Red :) )

Spyder Garage

It will depends. Each country in Europe has its own particularities and beauties.
    If you don't plan a long travel (two or three months) in my opinion you should try the country and plan the hipping
    to that place.
    France is a beautifull country full of history, castles, monuments, a very varied nature and great cuisine.
    I've been (can't say I know) Alsace, Franche Conté, Midi Pirynees, Bretagne, Provence all different from each other.
    But in general all European countries are like that. It changes the language, the gastronomy, the landscape and its people making
    them have their own personality. Hard choice.

I think BRP distribution point to Europe is in Belgium but I don't know how they move units from Canada. May be by ship?
    2018 F3 Ltd. , Black/Dark

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ahh-cool View Post
    Just got back from Alaska and I noticed tons of bikes and RV's from Western Europe.
    Not sure how to go about it. Does anybody know of any good blogs that will describe how to get there and where to go.
    Stefan
    Here you go Stefan.

https://www.schumachercargo.com/motorcycle-shipping/
    2018 F3 Limited , Black/Chrome

Spyder Garage

If planning a road trip (I did one a couple of years ago on my Ducati) and would recommend the following area - Northern Italy taking in Tuscany, Ducati factory, Ferrari visit, Pisa, Lake Garda, park up and catch train to Venise..(do not stay in Venise).. Florence and either down south to Rome or north to Germany via Austria - Bavaria is stunning
    2009 GS SE5 , Red (Ferrari Red :) )

Spyder Garage

Can't help you much with the shipping but a few of the Goldwing boys have shipped their bikes across so you might ask on GL1800riders forum. With regards to where to go, you need to give details of what you like to see and the type of riding you like to do. Europe has a great variety of stuff in a relatively small area so you don't have to ride 1000 miles to be in a very different place with a completely different feel. Also, the season will make a substantial difference to what you find here.
    Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
    Rule#1: Refer to rule #2.

Spyder Garage

We're thinking of going for 2 or 3 months. Everybody I have talked to in Alaska have said don't ship it by boat. They have a 2 wheel motorcycle, so not sure if that changes things.
    I'm just in the thinking stage. Need to make sure we could do it. Thinking of buying a small trailer when we get there to camp in.
    We would not go for 2 or 3 years. I'm a little bit nervous about it

Spyder Garage

If nothing else that should be an adventure you could talk about for a long time to come.
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Spyder Garage

There was a thread a while back (on ADV Rider?) about riding in the various countries in Europe. Apparently there are some obscure rules and regulations to follow. Carrying hazard flags, wearing gloves, etc. etc.
    Just the kind of thing a visitor might not know about and could cause (hopefully minor) issue. Worth some research.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Zoot View Post
    There was a thread a while back (on ADV Rider?) about riding in the various countries in Europe. Apparently there are some obscure rules and regulations to follow. Carrying hazard flags, wearing gloves, etc. etc.
    Just the kind of thing a visitor might not know about and could cause (hopefully minor) issue. Worth some research.
    Nah, it's pretty straight forward but in France there's a few extra rules; it's a requirement to wear gloves and to carry a hi-viz vest or braces incase you breakdown at the roadside, to have reflective patches on your helmet and to carry spare bulbs for your lights. Otherwise there's nothing to be nervous about, except perhaps getting fat eating the big breakfasts and pastries. Mainland Europe is a safe place and nothing untoward is likely to happen to you, remember also, distances are small compared to the USA. You folks even drive on the same side of the road as most of Europe, easy peasy!

You might be able to do a deal on buying a used Spyder and sell it back to the dealer when you leave, could be cheaper and far less hassle than shipping both ways. Also, when insuring it, it would be an EU spec bike so no having to conform to lighting regs etc.
    Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.

Spyder Garage

I will look into buying one in Europe. Where do I start looking?

Spyder Garage

I will look into buying one in Europe. Where do I start looking?
    I guess that depends on which country you're going to land in to start your trip. BRP has a site for finding dealers but it doesn't include some countries so it's not much use. I know of several dealers in the UK and the UK is not listed on their website. (It's BRP, why am I not surprised!?) Also, the Garmin navigator which came with my Spyder has the details of European dealers inbuilt, should it be necessary to find one. If you post here which country you're likely to land in, I'll look at the Garmin and see what I can find that may be useful to you. Belgium is the European BRP centre, quite what that entails I don't know but our bikes and spare parts are distributed from there afaik.

Edit: I think google might be your friend. I've come up with a number of Spyders for sale in europe - here's one web site which lists several from both private sellers and dealers, if you select a bike from a dealer it will give the dealer's details. At the bottom of the page is Spyders by country - might be helpful. I'm sure there will be other sites too. Good luck searching!

http://www.theparking-motorcycle.co....n/R74NNQ8.html

Edit 2. Aha! I've come up with this...type in your country and search. https://uk.brp.com/content/canam-spy...UcR8g_mObTy60c

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PinkRosePetal View Post
    I guess that depends on which country you're going to land in to start your trip. BRP has a site for finding dealers but it doesn't include some countries so it's not much use. I know of several dealers in the UK and the UK is not listed on their website. (It's BRP, why am I not surprised!?) Also, the Garmin navigator which came with my Spyder has the details of European dealers inbuilt, should it be necessary to find one. If you post here which country you're likely to land in, I'll look at the Garmin and see what I can find that may be useful to you. Belgium is the European BRP centre, quite what that entails I don't know but our bikes and spare parts are distributed from there afaik.

Edit: I think google might be your friend. I've come up with a number of Spyders for sale in europe - here's one web site which lists several from both private sellers and dealers, if you select a bike from a dealer it will give the dealer's details. At the bottom of the page is Spyders by country - might be helpful. I'm sure there will be other sites too. Good luck searching!

http://www.theparking-motorcycle.co....n/R74NNQ8.html

Edit 2. Aha! I've come up with this...type in your country and search. https://uk.brp.com/content/canam-spy...UcR8g_mObTy60c
    How hard would it be to sell it? I figure it would cost between $2,000 and $3,000 to ship it by plane back and forth.

Spyder Garage

We have shipped a spyder by boat (from canada) no issues. It cost us $1000US. Since spyders tend to sell lot higher in Europe you could always sell it at the end of your trip.
    2015 Canam Spyder F3-S SE6
    Detachable Passenger backrest #219400703
    Gauge Spoiler #219400531
    Blue Ridge Windshield #219400746
    Hood stripes decal kit #219400711
    F3 Idler Pulley #219800431 / Lamonster roller upgrade
    Bajaron SwayBar
    Elka Stage 2 rear shock
    Arc LED fog lights
    Lamonster F3 bar clamp with Quad-lock phone mount
    Foam Hand Grip Covers
    Tufskinz Peel & Stick Tank Protector Pad (Glossy doomed carbon)

Spyder Garage

PinkRosePetal, you did great. Now how about a camper to tow behind

Spyder Garage

Only place I found that rents spyders is http://www.bosenberg.com/intro.htm
    They now have spyders out of Frankfurt Germany . When l was looking last they only had em for
    Switzerland .

Spyder Garage

Is there consignment shops. Where you leave the bike and they sell it or what do you do with it? Remember I would not be in the country anymore

Spyder Garage

How hard would it be to sell it? I figure it would cost between $2,000 and $3,000 to ship it by plane back and forth.
    I had imagined you may be able to do a deal with a dealer, purchase a vehicle with an understanding that they would buy it back from you. Your loss could possibly be approximately equal to your shipping costs. But if you can ship both ways for 3k as suggested, I doubt you could do much better than that considering you're envisaging a 3 month stay.

Just for info, new products sold in the EU are taxed at approximately 20% (it varies a little country to country) but pre-owned goods are not taxed so a used spyder will not attract tax.

Spyder Garage

I would speak with the Dealers here in Europe - maybe you find someone who gives you a Spyder for lets say 3 Month to a fix Price ?? But if you ride "solo" the new Ryker would be the better solution here in the Alps - super handling and fast enough - no Service for 12.000 miles & much cheaper !!

Next year ( 13. June) is the 100 years ROTAX RYDERS Event, if you want to ryde with more than 300 Spyders/Rykers up to 10.000 feet, but it seems it will be hard to get a ticket for this, if you are not fast enough !!

Flight to Munic - there you pick up a Spyder /Ryker with side- and a (big !)Topcase
    bring your luggage in the original "Shad" Softbags and a really big Tankbag ..ryde with your own helmet
    August is too hot and too much traffic - the shools are closed - the Hotels have double the Price of the rest of the Saison (April - Oktober)
    In France most of the People do NOT (like) to speak english - no problem in Austria Italy Swiss....
    & yess !!! you will love it !!

(50.000 Spyder-miles in the last 10 years .. our Ryky reaches 9.000 now - its built for touring in the Alps !!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oa52jYfIZiU&t=10s
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Outlander fairing - Fox-shock - BajaRon Swaybar - Hankook tire/ back - 165/50 Imperial tires front & longer front shocks - GIVI Topase - Shad sidecases -heated grips - new seats

Spyder Garage

It will be me and my wife. Not sure where we fly into will be the same place we fly out of.
    Again right now we are in the planning stages.
    Probably will not happen for 2 years.
    I believe next year we are doing the west side of the U.S. and the year after that we will do the New England/ Maritimes.

Spyder Garage

https://www.aircanada.com/cargo/en/s...otorcycle.html

Probably thinking of the Air Canada program. Not sure if 3 wheelers are accommodated but the link is above.
    2012 RT-SE5

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Raknid View Post
    https://www.aircanada.com/cargo/en/s...otorcycle.html

Probably thinking of the Air Canada program. Not sure if 3 wheelers are accommodated but the link is above.
    Thanks, that's what the people I talked to used.

Spyder Garage

Stefan
    Check with Stefan at Knopftours in Heidelberg. He ships over once a year from the US to his place in Germany. Rentals are very expensive ( like over $200 a day) I am shipping my RT over next March from Orlando. I will” leave it there and go ride for a few months each summer. He also stores Bike at his place for $50 a month. I us3to have a Honda Varadero I left with Martin in Cork Island I bought over there and he charges about$35 a month. I soulful intCork and he would have my Bike all ready to go and I would ride around Europe for 2-3 months at a time.