Very Active Member CloverHillCrawler's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default CannonBall Run on a Spyder?

I just saw this article on the new Motorcycle record for the CannonBall Run... https://www.roadandtrack.com/news/a3...rcycle-record/

Has anybody ever done this on a Spyder and would it be in it's own category of vehicle if someone were to attempt it?

2020 F3 SE6

Safety and Lighting: LED Headlight upgrade, IPS LED Fog lights, Show Chrome LED Fender Signals, LED Signature Light, Tric LED Afterburnerz, MotoHorn 2.0

Suspension: Wilbers Front and Rear Shocks, BajaRon Sway Bar, Vredestein Quatrac Front and Rear Tires

Comfort: Blue Ridge Windshield, Corbin Dual Touring Saddle, Ultimate Floorboards, OEM Passenger Backrest with Rear Shelf, OEM Passenger Floorboards Modified with High Risers from Pierre

Tackform Center Mount Phone Holder w/ rapid charging USB-C.
    2020 F3 , Black

Spyder Garage

This "big leap forward in time for doing this very dangerous, kind of pointless, sort-of-stupid thing atop a motorcycle." is all I have to say/quote for doing that.

Those who say " I can't" will always be right.
    2014 RT Limited , pewter (magnesium?)

Spyder Garage

Not for me. There are some records I don't care a lot about.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 10-28-2021 at 10:21 AM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

SMILES not MILES for me! Some of those hours are after dark at 87 mph no thanks. I already hit a deer at much lower speed and never want to do that again!

“Born to Ride......Ride to Live....MOATER ON !
    “Current ride: 2017 RT Limited”

Spyder Garage

IMHO Everybody is entitled to their opinion. If I still had a Spyder it might be worth a shot. You would need to figure out a fuel cell cause at elevated the mileage goes to hell on the tricycle. excess fuel stops eat into the time. I've done a couple coast to coast runs on a FJR with a 4.5 gallon fuel cell. Not that fast but pretty fast. I did stop for food and bathroom breaks but otherwise stayed in the saddle.

Spyder Garage

Intriguing if limited to daylight hours.

Spyder Garage

I get the reasons for not wanting to do it and respect those reasons but that still doesn't answer my question specifically the second part of my question

Has anybody ever done this on a Spyder and would it be in it's own category of vehicle if someone were to attempt it? I ask that because I was wondering if it would be classified under motorcycles for the record?

Adding additional fuel cells would not be that hard , the frunk is pretty much a square block that comes out with 4 push pins and could be replaced with a insulated fuel cell and fuel cells could also be mounted where shad bags would normally mount (on a F3 at least).

2020 F3 SE6

Safety and Lighting: LED Headlight upgrade, IPS LED Fog lights, Show Chrome LED Fender Signals, LED Signature Light, Tric LED Afterburnerz, MotoHorn 2.0

Suspension: Wilbers Front and Rear Shocks, BajaRon Sway Bar, Vredestein Quatrac Front and Rear Tires

Comfort: Blue Ridge Windshield, Corbin Dual Touring Saddle, Ultimate Floorboards, OEM Passenger Backrest with Rear Shelf, OEM Passenger Floorboards Modified with High Risers from Pierre

2020 F3 , Black

Spyder Garage

While I don't know of anyone specifically doing 'Cannonball Runs' on a Spyder, there's a number of fairly regular posters here & on the Aussie Forums who do Iron Butt or Hard Arse runs on Spyders.... I've even been known to do a few of the latter myself!

You could also check out the threads & posts by Pistonblown, a Kiwi member here who does some of the longer runs in a prescribed time; he has an extra tank strapped onto a rack on the back of his Spyder & has some pics posted of his set-up too. I'm not sure if it's here, or on one of the other Forums, but there is also a pic or two floating around of a fuel cell dropped into a Spyder frunk, except it's all done without the hassle of removing the frunk! IIRC, it's effectively a drop in fuel cell insert with pump & quick release plumbing, so that when the owner doesn't need the extra range, the whole thing can be left at home.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    While I don't know of anyone specifically doing 'Cannonball Runs' on a Spyder, there's a number of fairly regular posters here & on the Aussie Forums who do Iron Butt or Hard Arse runs on Spyders.... I've even been known to do a few of the latter myself!

You could also check out the threads & posts by Pistonblown, a Kiwi member here who does some of the longer runs in a prescribed time; he has an extra tank strapped onto a rack on the back of his Spyder & has some pics posted of his set-up too. I'm not sure if it's here, or on one of the other Forums, but there is also a pic or two floating around of a fuel cell dropped into a Spyder frunk, except it's all done without the hassle of removing the frunk! IIRC, it's effectively a drop in fuel cell insert with pump & quick release plumbing, so that when the owner doesn't need the extra range, the whole thing can be left at home.

~~~IMO it would be pretty easy to mod an aux fuel set up on a Spyder. Strap the fuel cell on the pillion and mod the OEM fuel cap to accept a fuel line. Place a flow valve (on/off) coming out of the fuel cell, in-line the fuel hose going to the OEM Spyder fuel cap. That’s basically how i modded my 2002 Honda Silverwing. Since the Swing’s fuel tank was approx. 4 gallons I bought a 3 gallon fuel cell and bungied it onto the pillion. A friend with a lathe in his basement took a Stant radiator cap and machined a piece of aluminum (round stock) and screwed it to the underneath side of the Stant cap, and cut threads for a brass fitting (90 degree elbow) to screw into this cap. That cap replaces the OEM Swing fuel cap so when the Swing’s fuel gauge was on the last bar, I reached behind me and turned the fuel valve coming out of the fuel cell so by the time the 3 gallons of gas in the fuel cell emptied into the Swing’s fuel tank, that 4 gallon tank was now full of fuel again. Just an example of how to mount an aux fuel cell to a Spyder. So if you were wanting to enter the iron butt 11 day rally, you could either make up or have made, a fuel cell with a capacity along with the Spyder’s OEM fuel tank, to equal the requisite 11 gallons. Since the Spyder’s tank is 7 gallons, your fuel cell and all of the fuel lines would be around 4 gallons. A lessor amount than the total amount of the OEM fuel tank so you could safely transfer the one to the other when the OEM tank was almost empty. Others may have better and different ideas

Best,

Jake
    Reddick Fla.
    Tragedy is the fulcrum used along with the levers of pre-existing agendas by those who would pry the People away from their freedoms - Mark Johnson
    2020 Rally , Black

Spyder Garage

The Iron Butt Association which sponsors many such rides does allow trikes to enter. Check out the website for more info and who to contact for answers. As someone mentioned this isn't for everyone, but don't knock those who enjoy it. I don't knock your pointless hobbies so don't knock mine.
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the pointers and references for my inquiry.

Nothing that I am thinking about doing seriously ATM but if I get bored over the winter who knows what may go through my head for next summer.

2020 F3 SE6

2020 F3 , Black