Spyder Garage

Default tire age - is 4 years old a concern?

Hey, tire experts! After 35 k miles and 10 years, my GS Spyder SE5 tire is getting bald. Ordered a new one via the dealer to be put on next week. The counter fella looked up the 4 number date on side wall; mid year 2015, making it 4 yrs old on distributer's shelf. looks good, no dry rot...is 4 yrs old a concern?
    Former Navy LT, Retired Chemical Dependency Therapist, Retired Widower, "Do, or do not, there is no try"... Jedi Master Yoda.
    Proud member of AA, PGR, and a Navy Shellback!
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , matte black trim, Green/gray Charcoal? depends on the lighting

Spyder Garage

I would think so. Most tire shops will not work on anything 5 years or older.

Discount Tire ( the largest in the USA) will not repair or work on any tire over 5 years old. Goodyear and Armstrong have the same policy. It all has to do with liability.

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

Tire Rack cites recommendations from the British Rubber Manufacturer’s Association (BRMA) and the Japanese Automobile Tire Manufacturer’s Association (JATMA) on its website. Per BRMA, unused tires over six years old should never be put in service, and all tires should be replaced after 10 years from their date of manufacture. JATMA recommends inspection after five years and replacement after 10, regardless of treadwear and overall condition.

Spyder Garage

I would insist that the dealer provide you with a new tire. At 4 years old that tire is more than halfway beyond its' reliable life. Looking at, feeling, poking, and hoping will not make it better. Because of our heat here in Arizona, ANY tires more than 7 years old are used at the drivers' peril..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by canamjhb View Post
    I would insist that the dealer provide you with a new tire. At 4 years old that tire is more than halfway beyond its' reliable life. Looking at, feeling, poking, and hoping will not make it better. Because of our heat here in Arizona, ANY tires more than 7 years old are used at the drivers' peril..... Jim
    ……...That tire dealer is Totally ripping you off …… However if you getting that tire at 75 % OFF , then it could be worth it …. But not if you are only putting 3500 mi on it per year …… Mike

Spyder Garage

I wouldn't put it on my bike.
    2015 RT , Black

Very Active Member BoilerAnimal's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I'd ask how much they're charging for the screw they're giving you. Or is it free?
    On the road again...........and forever young!

2013 RT-S SE 5

Yesterday is a cancelled check.
    Tomorrow is a promissory note.
    Today is cash.......spend it wisely.

Very Active Member eddieshep999's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Here in the UK a vehicle goes through an annual test (MOT) it’s s safety inspection Brakes, Lights, Exhaust & Tyres etc
    The Tyres are not just checked for it’s legal tyre depth but also its condition and it can be classed as a fail if there are cracks in the sidewall which can happen with the age of the tyre as this could lead to a tyre blowout and a possible accident
    If riders are not doing high mileages they may want to check their tyres as they may be on their Spyders for several years
    Eddie Sheppard
    Poole Dorset UK

Get a Spyder - See the World

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    …… However if you getting that tire at 75 % OFF , then it could be worth it ….
    It's good to know that will make it safer, Mike!
    Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
    Rule#1: Refer to rule #2.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    ……...That tire dealer is Totally ripping you off …… However if you getting that tire at 75 % OFF , then it could be worth it …. But not if you are only putting 3500 mi on it per year …… Mike
    Is your safety worth the discount??

Spyder Garage

The Kenda on my F3 from new was about 5 years old when I recently changed it and the rubber had gone very hard and 'plasticky'. Some of that is of course from UV and weathering, which a stored new tire isn't subjected to.

But if I was getting 10 years out a tire like you did I would want one manufactured in 2019 going on now. That tire will be 14 years old at the end of your projected lifespan.
    | 2015 F3-S | Heated Grips | USB Ports | RAM X-Grip | RT Sway Bar | '2 Up' Rear Shock | SHAD Bag Kit | Oxford Aqua 50 Dry Bag | BRP Rider Backrest |

Spyder Garage

Up until now, I had never thought about dealers peddling NEW older tires on the public. Time to start checking the mfg. date on any further tires that I will be purchasing. I still learn stuff from the site.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

So if you do the same distance and time your tyre will be 14 years old at the end!!!!!
    2009 GS SE5 , Red (Ferrari Red :) )

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by als View Post
    Is your safety worth the discount??
    So your opinion is a 4 year old tire is a safety hazard ????? ……….. sorry , but you don't know much about tires …. no further discussion will be fruitful …… ride safe - ride happy …… Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PinkRosePetal View Post
    It's good to know that will make it safer, Mike!
    No it won't make it safer ……….. BUT I Never said it would ….. selling that tire at the price of a FRESH tire is a rip-off …..if you ONLY concern yourself with What I ACTUALLY say, things will be more pleasant ….. however that might not be the point of your posts !!!! …….. ride safe - ride happy ….. Mike

Spyder Garage

I won't ride on a tire more than 7 years old. Not on my truck and for sure not on my bikes. I will not buy a new tire that has a born on date more than 1 year old. My truck is now 10 years old, but only has 22,000 miles on it. I changed all 4 tires a couple years ago. They were not worn and had no weather cracking, but they were at least 7 years old. I gave the tires I took off the truck to a friend to use on a farm trailer. They will be fine for that. I don't want older tires on a truck that might be pulling $20,000 worth of equipment on a trailer doing 65 or 70 MPH. It is not worth the risk.

Tires are made better now, than many years ago. Still, I remember well taking a trailer 100 miles in the middle of the night, and winching my brother's Chevelle up on it because one of the front tires came apart and destroyed the hood, front fender, and wiped everything off one side of the engine.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

You give yourself credit for being a tire expert - NOT ME !!

I was selling and and installing tires while you were ********************* - but I don't claim to be an expert
    It seems some knowledgeable people want tires replaced after 5 years - ********************************
    Have a nice day!
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 09-05-2019 at 06:18 PM.

Spyder Garage

From the mods:

Not necessary to go back and forth to get in the last word. Respect everyone's opinion and leave it at that. Deletions, or the closure of this thread is the next option.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red