Spyder Garage

Default Muffler question.

Sorry if this been asked before but I'm new to this. I looking into upgrading my muffler I spoke to Rick over at RLS exhausted I was told that my bike cats are built into the muffler themself so I can't get a car delete I can just go with a muffler.

My question is this will I get any codes or will my bike act up if I remove my stick muffler and go with a after market muffle tlike RLS? Tha k you all for your help.

Spyder Garage

Can I ask what year and model you have?
    2009 GS SE5 , Red (Ferrari Red :) )

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Haikanko View Post
    Can I ask what year and model you have?
    OH damn sorry I forgot to mention what bike I have it's
    2011 can am spyder rss

Spyder Garage

Thats true, 2008-2012 muffler has built-in cat delete, i cant speak for any other mufflers but Hindle worked fine without acting up or throwing any codes.
    2015 Canam Spyder F3-S SE6
    Detachable Passenger backrest #219400703
    Gauge Spoiler #219400531
    Blue Ridge Windshield #219400746
    Hood stripes decal kit #219400711
    F3 Idler Pulley #219800431 / Lamonster roller upgrade
    Bajaron SwayBar
    Elka Stage 2 rear shock
    Arc LED fog lights
    Lamonster F3 bar clamp with Quad-lock phone mount
    Foam Hand Grip Covers
    Tufskinz Peel & Stick Tank Protector Pad (Glossy doomed carbon)

Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by donhy View Post
    Thats true, 2008-2012 muffler has built-in cat delete, i cant speak for any other mufflers but Hince worked fine without acting up or throwing any codes.
    So if I remove my Muffler I will essentially be removing the cats as well? Caus they are all one piece? And the only thing I can just add any slip on muffler I want?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Juejue97 View Post
    So if I remove my Muffler I will essentially be removing the cats as well? Caus they are all one piece? And the only thing I can just add any slip on muffler I want?
    Correct and i can confirm that Hindle has no issues and two brothers has no issues(i havent run two brothers but i know someone who has)
    2015 Canam Spyder F3-S SE6
    Detachable Passenger backrest #219400703
    Gauge Spoiler #219400531
    Blue Ridge Windshield #219400746
    Hood stripes decal kit #219400711
    F3 Idler Pulley #219800431 / Lamonster roller upgrade
    Bajaron SwayBar
    Elka Stage 2 rear shock
    Arc LED fog lights
    Lamonster F3 bar clamp with Quad-lock phone mount
    Foam Hand Grip Covers
    Tufskinz Peel & Stick Tank Protector Pad (Glossy doomed carbon)

Spyder Garage

True - I used aftermarket and no problems - but tooooooooo loud for French police

Spyder Garage

I installed HMF Muffler I got on EBay, was a return with a small scratch for half price. Love the sound! Nice deep, not glaring loud like a straight pipe. If you pop off your left side cover like you are checking the oil, you can take a flashlight and easily trace the exhaust down to the connector for the muffler. I have a 2008 GS which had no cat from BRP. VERY easy to remove and swap mufflers. One bolt on right side holding muffler, then the O-clamp & spring. Rotate old muffler up and down and it will slide right off. Easy enough to look under your bike at what you have and how to remove. I will say this - the BRP muffler weighs a TON compared to the new aftermarket mufflers. Must be the extra cat converter materials or something in there.

Once you install an aftermarket muffler you will probably start getting pops and little backfires for a while as the flow through the exhaust is much faster, making the O2 sensor feedback thinks it is too lean. I got a used electronic box that connects to the throttle body and "pads" the O2 feedback so engine runs richer. I totally am drawing a blank on the device name, hopefully someone can remember it - having an old man moment!! I did take out the air box to get to the right side throttle body connector, so while in there upgraded the plugs to the fine tip Iridiums from Baha Ron. Any-hoo after installing that runs like a bat outta you know where!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by stevencovert View Post
    I installed HMF Muffler I got on EBay, was a return with a small scratch for half price. Love the sound! Nice deep, not glaring loud like a straight pipe. If you pop off your left side cover like you are checking the oil, you can take a flashlight and easily trace the exhaust down to the connector for the muffler. I have a 2008 GS which had no cat from BRP. VERY easy to remove and swap mufflers. One bolt on right side holding muffler, then the O-clamp & spring. Rotate old muffler up and down and it will slide right off. Easy enough to look under your bike at what you have and how to remove. I will say this - the BRP muffler weighs a TON compared to the new aftermarket mufflers. Must be the extra cat converter materials or something in there.

Once you install an aftermarket muffler you will probably start getting pops and little backfires for a while as the flow through the exhaust is much faster, making the O2 sensor feedback thinks it is too lean. I got a used electronic box that connects to the throttle body and "pads" the O2 feedback so engine runs richer. I totally am drawing a blank on the device name, hopefully someone can remember it - having an old man moment!! I did take out the air box to get to the right side throttle body connector, so while in there upgraded the plugs to the fine tip Iridiums from Baha Ron. Any-hoo after installing that runs like a bat outta you know where!
    Tha k you so much for you help.